I don't know what is going on with my computer. I can't sign into zune to download songs. But most importantly I can't turn in my math homework because it's through hawkes learning system. I can't think of a reason why it's being a pain in the butt. I've tried everything I can think of.
Last edited by mihalo at Sep 22, 2009,
What is this thing you call a "Zune"
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Well you didn't really give enough details of what your computer is doing for me to give you a solution.

PROGRAM R NOT WERK.

Is not a good diagnosis.
Quote by mihalo
Zune marketplace. The microsoft version of Itunes but better.

Obviously not because right now, my iTunes is working.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Obviously not because right now, my iTunes is working.

So is mine
The programs are not the problem. I think my computer is not letting me sign into any other network and I'm trying to figure out why. I even turned off all the firewalls to see if that would do any good. But sadly it did not.
The thing is I've been connecting fine since I got my new laptop. Yesterday I just couldn't sign in and today it's the same story. It's really weird.
If you're using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox, then that's your problem. You're supposed to use Windows Vista and Internet Explorer
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
If you're using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox, then that's your problem. You're supposed to use Windows Vista and Internet Explorer

Obvious Troll is Obvious. And please, no vista bashing. There were some complications during birth, but it's fine now, with a few adjustments to get rid of annoying crap.
I'm using XP and Opera on the windows side of my computer. But it's been working perfect until yesterday.
Quote by mihalo
I'm using XP and Opera on the windows side of my computer. But it's been working perfect until yesterday.

Since you seem to have missed it the first time :

Quote by me
How are you connecting to the internet? If possible, find a way to connect directly with an ethernet cable, this way you can eliminate any wifi/router issues that it may be.

Characters because UG is being stupid and thinks I have less than 2 characters in this post.
My bad. I'm connecting wirelessly through my time capsule. Connecting with an ethernet cable will not make a difference. My connection is perfect.
Quote by mihalo
My bad. I'm connecting wirelessly through my time capsule. Connecting with an ethernet cable will not make a difference. My connection is perfect.

Time Capsule?

Anyways, how do you know the connection is perfect?

Anyways again, something to try :

Start menu > Run > cmd

Command prompt window will pop up, type : ipconfig/release

Let it do it's thing, then type ipconfig/renew

That should reset the connection in case there was just something that went wrong with the ip ****.
The time capsule is a router/external hardrive made by apple that is the best router you can buy. My computer is telling me my connection is excellent. I don't have any problems connecting to the internet. It's not letting me sign into my math website or zune probably because of a firewall or something. The problem is that I can't figure out which firewall could be doing it. Or it could be something else not letting me sign in.
Quote by mihalo
The time capsule is a router/external hardrive made by apple that is the best router you can buy. My computer is telling me my connection is excellent. I don't have any problems connecting to the internet. It's not letting me sign into my math website or zune probably because of a firewall or something. The problem is that I can't figure out which firewall could be doing it. Or it could be something else not letting me sign in.

Oh, so your internet works fine? I thought it was just a general issue connecting to the interwebz, which involved those things.

Have you tried just turning off all your firewalls? (you shouldn't have more than one)
Yeah man I've tried everything. I've turned off the windows firewall. In theory that should've worked. Sorry about the confusion I should have been more clear on the problem. I'm usually pretty tech savy but this problem is bugging the hell out me. It wouldn't be that big of a deal but I've got homework to turn in.
Quote by mihalo
Yeah man I've tried everything. I've turned off the windows firewall. In theory that should've worked. Sorry about the confusion I should have been more clear on the problem. I'm usually pretty tech savy but this problem is bugging the hell out me. It wouldn't be that big of a deal but I've got homework to turn in.

Why don't you email your prof and tell them about the situation, they might not believe you, but it's better than nothing as a safety net.

Maybe try starting in safe mode with networking, does that allow internet access? I'm not sure, but if it does, it probably also would mean no firewall things would be running (at least nothing third party).

Barring that... the only thing I could think of would be ports not being open.. but you said it worked before.

I dunno, maybe you could try with a direct ethernet connection, who knows, maybe the time capsule has some built in firewall that just decided it didn't feel like making things work today
This may be a stupid thought but all of this started after I put a password on my computer. (The thing that pops up at the beginning of windows start up). I don't know why that would do anything what so ever but maybe it did.
Quote by mihalo
This may be a stupid thought but all of this started after I put a password on my computer. (The thing that pops up at the beginning of windows start up). I don't know why that would do anything what so ever but maybe it did.

I would say that could have something to do with admin privileges and stuff... but it's XP.
I've tried changing stuff. I appreciate the help man but I think this a problem for geek squad. Even though I have come to find out that I know more about computers than most of the people that work for geek squad.
Quote by mihalo

dude, if im getting this right, you can use the internet, but not log onto this maths thingy. ARE YOU FRIGGIN JOKING ME!! if this is the case it has nothing to do with your pc, its the maths thingys servers
Quote by grimreaper65
: So I said "Holy Crap, He's giving him a blowjob.

Unfourtunately, it happened during a lesson, exactly when everyone went quiet.

Quote by TooFast
: They have no souls.

Quote by guitaruboy
: neither do black people.....just kidding
Quote by fatesjester
dude, if im getting this right, you can use the internet, but not log onto this maths thingy. ARE YOU FRIGGIN JOKING ME!! if this is the case it has nothing to do with your pc, its the maths thingys servers

I would've suggested this, except that it's also the zune network that's not working.

So we've got two programs trying to connect to the internet but failing. Much more likely a problem with his PC than a problem with two different and unrelated servers at the same time.
I can't log into zune marketplace either. Coincidence I think not. It's definitely my pc that is blocking me from (I don't know if I'm using the correct terms) external databases.

Yeah kind of the exact same post of the dude above me but it was posted while I was typing, so whatever.
Last edited by mihalo at Sep 23, 2009,
good point sir, i didnt see the part about the zune, my bad. flush your dns and general internet settings. do this by right cliking on your little conenction thing on your dockbar thing in the bottom right hand corner and go repair connection for xp, or diagnose and repair for vista
Quote by grimreaper65

Quote by TooFast

Quote by guitaruboy
Quote by fatesjester
good point sir, i didnt see the part about the zune, my bad. flush your dns and general internet settings. do this by right cliking on your little conenction thing on your dockbar thing in the bottom right hand corner and go repair connection for xp, or diagnose and repair for vista

It's not a problem with his internet. Everything else works fine. If it was a connection issue there'd be other problems.

It's just those programs, so I'm guessing for some reason, some part of the connection is blocking programs from accessing the internet. He's already tried firewalls so.. who know?
All I have to say is Geek squad better come through this time.

One last thought I'm using bootcamp on my mac to run xp (bootcamp is a program on all intel based macintosh's so that you can divide your hard drive into 16 or less partitions. It basically turned my mac into Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.) But maybe if something was change on the mac security side it would affect windows. But, I wouldn't think that would make a difference and I don't think I have changed anything on the mac side.
could be isp being a nazi
Quote by grimreaper65

Quote by TooFast

Quote by guitaruboy
Quote by mihalo
All I have to say is Geek squad better come through this time.

One last thought I'm using bootcamp on my mac to run xp (bootcamp is a program on all intel based macintosh's so that you can divide your hard drive into 16 or less partitions. It basically turned my mac into Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.) But maybe if something was change on the mac security side it would affect windows. But, I wouldn't think that would make a difference and I don't think I have changed anything on the mac side.

Have you used the mac side at all? It's possibly that may have changed something with the time capsule that's now ****ing with your windows connection.

Try connecting directly, if anything you'll at least have one less suspect.
Quote by dark&broken
Have you used the mac side at all? It's possibly that may have changed something with the time capsule that's now ****ing with your windows connection.

Try connecting directly, if anything you'll at least have one less suspect.

Yeah like an hour ago the connection is fine. (The only reason I have windows at all is because of Zune and my math software is not compatible with mac OS.) I haven't changed anything. Maybe my little sister did by accident though.
mac could be causing havoc, cause xp is actually run in an emulation mode in the mac os x enviroment, it isnt a native install. so a changed setting on os x may have buggered up the windows
Quote by grimreaper65

Quote by TooFast

Quote by guitaruboy
Yep but nothing was changed. ****!!!! I hate when technology doesn't do what it's supposed to.