Today I stumbled upon an arc welder and a pile of fresh electrodes, and it got me thinking: what if I could build some kind of bizarre upright bass out of steel? I've got a few basses I can pull parts from, and I can get the steel to build it from for extremely cheap or free. Should I try it?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I doubt it will sounds good. But what the hell you really don't have much to lose, and worst comes to worse you have a wierd peice of art.......or something.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
I doubt it will sounds good. But what the hell you really don't have much to lose, and worst comes to worse you have a wierd peice of art.......or something.

I can create some kind of avante-garde noise alternative rock with it
I've got a terrible looking paint drawing I made: http://i36.tinypic.com/10gyc1j.jpg

I was thinking to use a plasma torch to cut a large pipe in half or something like that and then glue on a rosewood fretboard and use it for a neck. The body could be 4 pieces of conduit welded into a rectangle with a piece of diamond plate flipped over and welded over the conduit rectangle. I think this one is going to be a 3 stringer to make things less complicated.
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Last edited by cal1 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by cal1
I can create some kind of avante-garde noise alternative rock with it

I fully support this, awesome idea! I think you should really do a 4 stringer, but I like the idea nonetheless. Maybe cut some crazy shaped f-holes in it or something?
What sort of welder is it? If it's stick you'll likely have problems getting it to look nice.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
What sort of welder is it? If it's stick you'll likely have problems getting it to look nice.

although in a sense it may give it an industrial look.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
True, but precision stick welds like that usually look pretty sloppy unless you've got a lot of experience doing it. TIG or Oxy is the best way to get a clean look.
Nope, no sig here.
In the 1940s they would make basses out of steel for the bands on navy ships

Just thought Id throw that out there
Quote by Mutant Corn

Ancient arc welder. I'm using 6010 electrodes and those aren't all that clean anyway, so I'm not expecting a work of art. I'm going to do a few practice runs this weekend (I haven't welded in a while) to see how this will come out.
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

update: I'm going to be ready to do this by this weekend. I'm considering a design change by using a long length of pipe instead of the original rectangular body design, but I'll see how it goes once I get the steel. If I can't get a plasma torch I might need to revert to Ye Olde Saw to cut the steel.
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Last edited by cal1 at Sep 24, 2009,
it sounds like it will be good for... wait for it... METAL! ...
ok, it wasn't funny...

I'll go back to the pit...
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)