In Terms of Horrifying Violence, is the Internet the Modern Day Colosseum?

So I was thinking about graphic violence as entertainment throughout time. One example that quickly comes to mind is the Roman Colosseum. Not only did the Colosseum feature extreme violence for it's audience, there were also live sex shows with women and animals.

Then I was thinking about the internet. As many as you know, there are endless shock and gore pics/videos on the internet. Some of the more legendary include a man having sex with a horse and being killed because of it, a guy being beaten to death with a hammer, beheadings, etc etc. More filth than one brain can hold. There is also lots of bestiality, street fights, bum fights, etc online.

There's obviously a huge market for this stuff. IMO this is just another form of the Colosseum.

But what do you think?

Is there nothing new under the sun?

Are humans the same as they've ever been despite thousands of years of "progress"?

Does the internet just show the dark side of man?

If this has been done before, please link me and I'll delete.
Lol @ Mr. Hands reference.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by Tire Me.
Are humans the same as they've ever been despite thousands of years of "progress"?

Well of course we are. When people say progress they mean with knowledge and technology, the instincts and drives that motivate our actions are still the same.

Although I don't think the internet is very much like the collosseum. Shock videos aren't quite as popular as things like myspace or illegally downloaded music, which didn't really have an equivalent in the collosseum. And the actions depicted in shock videos would generally have occurred whether the internet was there or not, no-one's being kept slaves for the purpose of dodgy websites.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Tire Me.
there were also live sex shows with women and animals.

like a woman blowing a lion or something
?
that'd be cool
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I agree that the reasons for both the Colosseum and gore videos/pics is the same - that some humans can be entertained by graphic violence and death, but then I wouldn't compare the murder and slaughter of humans and animals as mass entertainment to dodgy websites on the internet, and I wouldn't say the people participating in either are the same, even if their motives are.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Quote by speakers
?
that'd be cool

Lol.

From what I'm reading:

"Live sex shows have sometimes involved bestiality, reportedly dating back to ancient Rome. These performances follow the folklore paradigm of women copulating with symbolically stud-like animals: pony, donkey, large dog. (This may be the origin of the phrase "dog and pony show," a carefully prepared and elaborate presentation or performance.)"

Quote by VANGELIS!
I agree that the reasons for both the Colosseum and gore videos/pics is the same - that some humans can be entertained by graphic violence and death, but then I wouldn't compare the murder and slaughter of humans and animals as mass entertainment to dodgy websites on the internet, and I wouldn't say the people participating in either are the same, even if their motives are.

Why?
Last edited by Tire Me. at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Tire Me.
Lol.

From what I'm reading:

"Live sex shows have sometimes involved bestiality, reportedly dating back to ancient Rome. These performances follow the folklore paradigm of women copulating with symbolically stud-like animals: pony, donkey, large dog. (This may be the origin of the phrase "dog and pony show," a carefully prepared and elaborate presentation or performance.)"

**** grab the time machine lets go.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
sounds like you've only just now come to understand what it is to be a part of the internet hate machine.

Welcome to the fuckin human race. Now bend over and keep it down.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by Tire Me.

Is there nothing new under the sun?

yes, they absolutely are.

one thing i think youre overlooking is the difference between watching something and seeing it in person. we can watch thousands of people die on television or on the internet, but its never the same as watching a person die right infront of you in real life. its always somewhat 'fake' when you watch something happen on a screen.

its almost more voyeuristic if anything.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Yeah, I agree with you. You missed Zugunruhe's (SP?) post cursing you for bumping the Vai pic thread though.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I guess you could say it's a modified and more shocking version of the Colosseum
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by MangoStarr
I guess you could say it's a modified and more shocking version of the Colosseum

no less. things you see on the internet arent 'real'.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by speakers
?
that'd be cool

*searches google for 'woman blowing a lion'*

It's gonna be a good night...
Quote by Syndromity
[*4chan = love*

My world has been turned upside down.
XIAOXI
No. It's much different witnessing violence in person, than on a grainy video on some site. You feel much more emotionally detached to what you are watching if it's on the internet as opposed to real life.

I can easily watch the worst of what the internet has to offer, but if I saw it in person, my reaction would be way different. You can't even compare the two other than the fact that you are an observer in both cases.
Quote by Abunai X
My world has been turned upside down.

We are much nicer then people say.
Quote by AzureNight
No. It's much different witnessing violence in person, than on a grainy video on some site. You feel much more emotionally detached to what you are watching if it's on the internet as opposed to real life.

I can easily watch the worst of what the internet has to offer, but if I saw it in person, my reaction would be way different. You can't even compare the two other than the fact that you are an observer in both cases.

I see what you mean, but if you think about it, back in the day it was probably considered pretty normal or run-of-the-mill to go and watch decapitated beavers getting rimjobbed, or whatever, at the Colosseum (although, did that type of stuff really go on?

Regardless, I'm sure we can agree that some type of sick sh*t was perpetrated on a regular basis there, and people flocked in thier thousands to see it. So I think you can draw some sort of comparison with the internet of today - the main difference being that people today don't need to leave the comfort of their chair to satiate thier morbid curiosities.

For sure, if today's average person was a live witness to this kind of thing, they'd be shocked to their core. But that's just because they're not used to seeing it in person. It's the same basic type of curiosity that drives us to watch these horrific internet videos as it was to the citizens of Rome, making a day of it at the Colosseum.

We are and always have been a sick bunch, although I'll temper that argument by saying that perhaps a more appropriate comparison would be to the big sports events of today, as certainly most of the stuff going on at the Colosseum was a form of sport. Back then though, the norm wasn't to have a bunch of sissy boys kicking around a ball, but to have men rip each other limb from limb in fights to the death, etc. And that was just normal...

Ah, who can say what was going through their minds?
Yes, I guess you can compare the two.

EDIT: What a crappy follow up to the above post.