I would like to set up a home recording studio sometime, it probably won't be to soon, because I've got other stuff to buy first. I was just wondering what are the basics that I would need. I would like to be able to record at least two guitars, maybe vocals. I would probably use the drumkit from hell or something like that to do drums. I don't really have a budget right now, but I am just wondering what kind of stuff I will need.
You'll need a soundcard first. Something external that doesn't slow your computer down... And if you want to record in good quality, you buy a mulit-channel soundcard, otherwise you can use a mixer to fuse many instrument-channels together into one channel into the computer, but then you can't adjust every instrument individually later on.
You'll also need somekind of recording software, I'm a noob at this, so I use an easy version of Cubase, which works great for me.
You'll need a microphone to record the vocals, but you probably figured that already...
How much did cubase cost? One of their newer products is $700 US. Thats about $1200 here in NZ. And what external soundcards are good and not super expensive?

Im guessing I'll need mic's for the guitar as well. And what program do i need to run drumkit from hell? I know cubase will run it but if that's to expensive I'll have to find something else.
i'm assuming you're not planning on throwing a ton of money down on this home studio. for a basic setup, you're gonna need a few things: a computer, an analog to digital converter (aka audio interface), a DAW (digital audio workstation -- the software), one (or several) mics, and a microphone preamp.

if your computer isn't ancient, chances are its onboard soundcard is more than good enough for what you'll be doing. since you're just getting started, you might want to look into something small and cheap that'll combine as many of the aforementioned things together as possible. the digidesign mbox (1, 2, etc.) and presonus firepod/firestudio are both solid AD/DA converters that cost about $350-450 USD new. both have decent onboard mic pres (not terrific, but again likely far more than good enough) and come with Pro Tools LE and Cubase LE, respectively.
How old is ancient? The computer I would currently be using isn't exactly new.
What if I just wanted to record 1 guitar? Would it be worth it for now until I get a better setup to just by a cheap used mic and something to connect it directly to the computers microphone jack?
Can you reccomend any good cheap DAWs?
the Mbox and Presonus suggestions were great. good interface and software in one pack. all you really need after that is a mic or two, stands, and cables. the mic will run you in the area of $100 (maybe a little less) for a low end starter mic.

that's probably the cheapest way to go unless you want to get a cheaper interface and maybe Audacity or some other free software. those are both quality interfaces though, and quality DAWs. i'd recommend going with one of those two.
Reaper as your recording software - download it and run it free. A decent Line 6 UX 1 or UX 2 would be good - you can always record 1 thing at a time and add tracks (overdub) as many as you need or want... buy the interface used on Ebay - I get all my hardware used and save a lot that way. My interface records 1 thing at a time so I load a drum track - record guitar, then bass - then vocals maybe - it works!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 23, 2009,
Before I have the money to set up a full studio if I just want to be able to record 1 guitar, am I better off to buy a cheap used microphone and run it directly into the computer, or the guitar into the computer and use guitar rig 3?

Edit: Where do i get reaper free?
Last edited by Ryhee at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Ryhee
Before I have the money to set up a full studio if I just want to be able to record 1 guitar, am I better off to buy a cheap used microphone and run it directly into the computer, or the guitar into the computer and use guitar rig 3?

Edit: Where do i get reaper free?

well it depends on what your opnion on amp modelers are. if you get the new line 6 cheap interfaces it comes with pod farm which is a pretty good amp modeler. I own guitar rig 3 and it really isnt worth the money, its good but not great. you can also look for the guitar vst guide on here and it shows you how to get good tone for free. as for interfaces you can get an aforementioned line 6 interface, or theirs tons of prety cheap 2 mic pre interfaces that usually come with software (reaper you can get from reaper.fm its fully functional for 30 days, then you should REALLY buy it, but you dont have to)