I can't afford the price of the Steve Vai Legacy combo amp so I'm wondering if it'll be the same if I just get a cheaper amp, say the Marshall MG50DFX, and replace the speakers with Celestion G12M Greenbacks that are in the Legacy. Thank you
No, both the amp and the speakers have a huge impact on the tone, cutting costs on either will yield bad results. The Marshall MG is a series that is known for absolutely poor tone.

Maybe we can suggest other options. We need to know:
Your price range.
What music you play.
Where you're located.
If buying a used amp is an option.
the mg series are just notoriously bad, and a speaker swap isn`t going to improve it much, vai`s tone is heavily tube based.
Quote by TheQuailman
No, both the amp and the speakers have a huge impact on the tone, cutting costs on either will yield bad results. The Marshall MG is a series that is known for absolutely poor tone.

Maybe we can suggest other options. We need to know:
Your price range.
What music you play.
Where you're located.
If buying a used amp is an option.

+a billion
RIP Gooze

cats
that's gonna sound sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

sorry did I say sweet? I mean ****
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
The MG will sound better but not good, you best bet is a new amp.

How much money do you have to work with?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Your not gonna come any where near carvin legacy tone by simply putting the same kind speakers in a much cheaper SS. Both my amps are tube but putting greenbacks in wont get me legacy amp tone.
....and because steve vai does not play a stock legacy either
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
No. Just no.
Avoid anything with MG written on it. I mean anything.

Even the MG X-Power?

It's not a good idea in the slightest - but oh so sigworthy! Besides, the money you would spend on those Greenbacks plus an MG would be better spent on a superior amp.

For the record, a fairly high percentage of guitarists use Greenbacks, but that doesn't make them sound like Vai. Your logic is pretty poor. Putting racing car fuel into a Lada won't make the Lada a better car will it?
^No but putting rocket fuel in it will make it into a spaceship.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cholas
Even the MG X-Power?

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

even that. ewwwwwwww
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I'm working with less than $400 at the moment. I'm going for a few mixes of music like metal, to clean melodies, and for lack of a better word song-covers like that Canon in D electric guitar guy on Youtube. But anyways, there is this one sound that Steve Vai played in his Distortion Pedal video on youtube at 5:15 to 5:25 that caught my attention. Sorry, I'm not able to provide a link at the moment but it's easily found by searching "Steve Vai Distortion Pedal." He plays a very simple melody but the sound coming out is just to die for.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
No. Just no.
Avoid anything with MG written on it. I mean anything.

Orly?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If you want the Legacy then just save up for it... I mean, for good tube amps they're REALLY cheap
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.