Does anyone stick their guitar into a distortion pedal before going into their PC amp simulators?

I've been tinkering about with a Boss MD-2 going into Line 6's Gearbox Gold plugin, and while it boosts the distortion nicely it loses clarity even with the gain and distortion turned all the way down.

I've been wondering what something superior like the Blackstar Dist X would sound for example?
They sound pretty close to a passable sound. If I were you, i'd download the JCM900 plugin. It's free and sounds awesome and you only have to go direcly in plain sound.
I'd avoid Line 6 computer based modellers, such as Gearbox, as the tone is substandard IMO.
Disclaimer: Their high end amps are much better then any other Line 6 products.

But, if you get a good quality software modeller [Revalver, Amplitube, Vintage Amp Room, and a bunch of amazing free ones], it will work great.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
My suggestion: Digitech DS7 distortion factory ran directly to your recording interface. It has a cab emulated output and 8 different distortion types. Very versatile and well rounded pedal. Go listen to my guitar tracks on my profile; they were all done using that configuration.
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts
Quote by Simsimius
I'd avoid Line 6 computer based modellers, such as Gearbox, as the tone is substandard IMO.
Disclaimer: Their high end amps are much better then any other Line 6 products.

But, if you get a good quality software modeller [Revalver, Amplitube, Vintage Amp Room, and a bunch of amazing free ones], it will work great.

I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum here, I've only been able to get good tones with Gearbox, whereas the others have all ended up sounding muddy. I must be doing it wrong.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Adam144
I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum here, I've only been able to get good tones with Gearbox, whereas the others have all ended up sounding muddy. I must be doing it wrong.

Well, if it works for you, that's cool.
It's probably because you have a 'gold' version, which I assume has more better models then standard Gearbox.

I do prefer the others though...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Yeah I've been playing around with both the Amplitude metal and Revalver demos today and I prefer Line 6's distortions so far - gonna give them both a proper good go tomorrow though. Amplitude Metal easily has a more 'massive' sound but a lot of it is bassiness.

I did come across an amazing clean tone with Amplitude Metal of all things however which was definitely better than anything I'd heard from Gearbox Gold
Quote by Chargrill3d
Yeah I've been playing around with both the Amplitude metal and Revalver demos today and I prefer Line 6's distortions so far - gonna give them both a proper good go tomorrow though. Amplitude Metal easily has a more 'massive' sound but a lot of it is bassiness.

I did come across an amazing clean tone with Amplitude Metal of all things however which was definitely better than anything I'd heard from Gearbox Gold

Amplitube Fender has the best clean sound I've heard from computer modellers so far...!

It's all about messing around [especially when combining pedals!].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

It's all about messing around [especially when combining pedals!].

This is true, in Gearbox, I only really used 1 model for a Metal tone, but I found someone who'd made a truly awesome tone using one which I never even thought of using. And it's the best tone I've heard from Gearbox yet, even with my crappy headphones
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Adam144
This is true, in Gearbox, I only really used 1 model for a Metal tone, but I found someone who'd made a truly awesome tone using one which I never even thought of using. And it's the best tone I've heard from Gearbox yet, even with my crappy headphones

So.... what's this tone then!
^I too want to hear the tone!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I've been checking out the Amplitude Fender demo and all I can say is WOW!!!! Best clean tones I've ever heard out of a computer - I almost got emotional
Quote by Chargrill3d
I've been checking out the Amplitude Fender demo and all I can say is WOW!!!! Best clean tones I've ever heard out of a computer - I almost got emotional

I was the same when I first heard it. I plug in my Strat and it sounds great! I can play along to John Mayer songs and have a similar tone!

IMO, it's probably the best clean modelling software I've ever heard.
Also, if you ever want, say, access to the full version... you could always message me and say 'Hi'.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
When it comes to smooth, tight heavy distortions I still prefer Line 6 though.

I expected to recreate these easily with stuff like Amplitude Metal but can't - there's a roughness to the sound I can't get rid of and I hate the noise gate as well.
^Amplitube Metal can be a bit weird. It's better then most GRIII presets, but it's not the best thing I've heard.

I think with Metal tones and modellers, it's really preference as to what you want the gain to sound like.

Amplitube Fender is definitely the best for cleans though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO