I currently own an old jcm900 dual reverb combo and while it is good i find that it isnt suited to my playing. it is too loose and grungy and it doesnt have nearly enough gain. i play mostly shred although i also play jazz fusion, blues, classic rock and progressive metal.

my budget is ~$1000 plus selling my current amp.

I am looking for a tight, smooth liquid kind of high gain sound. I would like deep bass, not necessarily lots of bass but just deep bass. i am fine with either british or american voicing. i want the amp to be tight enough to not 'fuzz out' when using the neck pickup on high gain.

i know this is a lot to ask given my tight budget but what i want really just boils down to lots of gain on tap and a tight, articulate sound. number of channels, versitility, type of voicing can come second.

amps i have been looking at include: cornford roadhouse 30, mesa singe rectifier, peavey 6505, marshall jvm205
The 900 should easily have enough gain for that. Get some good tubes and bias it hot, my 900 has a **** load too much gain.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
How about a Peavey JSX? I have a ****load of gain on my Bugera 333xl (which is, afaik, a copy of the JSX)

- and it is definitely made for shred metal (Joe Satriani anyone? he made that amp )
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by blue_strat
You might not need as much gain as you might think.

i realise this is the case for most music but for some music you really do need piles of gain. ive tried my jcm900 with a number of guitars and it simply does not have enough gain.
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Sep 23, 2009,
ENGL Powerball.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
ENGL Powerball.

i would love to but it just costs too much.

what do you guys think of the cornford roadhouse?
5150 combo

sooooo much gain
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado

I am looking for a tight, smooth liquid kind of high gain sound.

Sounds like a Mesa you're after, definitely a rectifier. If you can possibly afford the triple go for it but its fooking pricey

Other than that...a peavey XXX maybe?
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Do you have a boost?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Used Mesa Mark IV would be good for you.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I love my Single Rec. If that helps. And a 5150 has gain but won't do jazz without alot of work.
When you say you want articulation and deep bass, that doesn't normally coincide with high-gain. A Framus Dragon at really high volumes will get you that, but at a price.
There are a few amp companies that design amps that sound that good at low volumes. Diezel and Cornford are two of them. VHT and Splawn are supposed to be similar, but I have no personal experience with them.

I'd suggest looking into ENGL. They have thick bassy tones with plenty of gain. The Fireball or Blackmore models are definitely worth it.

Cornford... I haven't played any of their amps, yet, but many swear by them. The Roadhouse isn't supposed to have tonnes of gain. I don't imagine it's designed to play Death Metal. More, jazz to hard-rock. From the clips, it seems to have a great lead tone, though. Perfect for shredding.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Used Mesa Mark IV would be good for you.

it'd be hard to find a mark IV for 1k. even finding mark III's at this price takes some looking.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
it'd be hard to find a mark IV for 1k. even finding mark III's at this price takes some looking.

ive seen Mark III's sell for 800, so theres a chance for TS
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
thats flat out lowest though. And it takes some looking. Ranges from 750-1200 with 900-1000 being average. and even then those are combos. Heads are about the same price but you need a cab. If he gets a good enough deal back on his jcm 800, then the most feasible option would be a 900-1000 mark III + nice cab.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by AngryGoldfish
When you say you want articulation and deep bass, that doesn't normally coincide with high-gain. A Framus Dragon at really high volumes will get you that, but at a price.
There are a few amp companies that design amps that sound that good at low volumes. Diezel and Cornford are two of them. VHT and Splawn are supposed to be similar, but I have no personal experience with them.

I'd suggest looking into ENGL. They have thick bassy tones with plenty of gain. The Fireball or Blackmore models are definitely worth it.

Cornford... I haven't played any of their amps, yet, but many swear by them. The Roadhouse isn't supposed to have tonnes of gain. I don't imagine it's designed to play Death Metal. More, jazz to hard-rock. From the clips, it seems to have a great lead tone, though. Perfect for shredding.

the only reason i want heaps of gain is to be able to do things like sustain pinch harmonics and induce feedback. sustaining notes for ages is a big part of my playing style.

just to clarify i am looking for tight, deep bass. not lots of it. engl sounds interesting though. can you point me to a good model that wont cost the earth?

i tried a peavey jsx and a hughes and kettner trillogy today. both out of my range (new) and both very good. i have to say that i thought the jsx was a little thin in comparison to the h&k although it was probably just a lack of time to eq the thing. i also tried a h&k statesman which wasnt as eargasmic at the other two.
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
the only reason i want heaps of gain is to be able to do things like sustain pinch harmonics and induce feedback. sustaining notes for ages is a big part of my playing style.
Same here.
The problem, though, is you lose a lot of the note definition and responsiveness the higher the gain goes. And you need to use the preamps to evoke levels of that kind of distortion.
Normally, you receive more sensitivity towards your playing when an amp uses it's power-amp valves as it's overdrive—it's unaffected overdrive, where the amp is being pushed beyond it's "clean potential". Diezel tend to use that as a method when designing their gear. It's tighter, more aggressively natural in sound.
While, amps like the Mesa Boogie Rectifier and the Peavey 6505 tend to use more preamp gain. Which means it sounds particularly liquid-like, even at normal volumes. And only when is it driven hard do the power-amp valves come into play and help "earth" the tone--i.e. make it more natural and less compressed.
just to clarify i am looking for tight, deep bass. not lots of it. engl sounds interesting though. can you point me to a good model that wont cost the earth?
The ENGL Richie Blackmore Signature is perfect. They cost quite a bit more in the States, but it's still worth the extra cash, imo. And it's certainly worth the European prices.
I've only heard it through clips (good ones haha) and it shines over other ENGL amps in a similar price range. It's got a neat balance of crunch and hard-distortion. It cleans up well and has more than enough gain for any genre.
i tried a peavey jsx and a hughes and kettner trillogy today. both out of my range (new) and both very good. i have to say that i thought the jsx was a little thin in comparison to the h&k although it was probably just a lack of time to eq the thing. i also tried a h&k statesman which wasnt as eargasmic at the other two.
I haven't played the Statesman and have little experience with the JSX and Trilogy—although, I was very interested in the Trilogy at one point.
They both have similarly compressed and overly distorted tones. They didn't sound "bad", as such, just not particularly raw or brutal. Just my opinion. For the money, you can do better. The Orange Rockerverb for one (that's more vintage sounding). But the JSX is cheaper in the States over the Rockerverb 50.
Holy crap man, you must be playing some metal... I personally love strats + orange amps + a fuzz face.... mmmmmm tone.

Anyways.

Go for Mesa. Or you could always keep your amp and get a half decent distortion pedal? Saves you like.... 600-800 dollars? You'll have to try a bunch out though.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Last edited by manipulator70 at Sep 24, 2009,