Or are they just metal machines?

I'm planning to get a custom guitar, though I want something that's versatile. I was wondering if ESPs fit that bill. If you roll back the gain on it, could it sound good for something like the blues?

Would I need to get the Seymour Duncans for them?
Some esp's come stock with duncans

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Yes but theres better options at ESP custom guitar price if you want something versatile.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
Yes but theres better options at ESP custom guitar price if you want something versatile.

Would I be able to order them custom?
Last year in my school's jazz band there was a guitarist that had an ESP with EMGs 81 and 60 and it sounded great.
some esps have the duncans. even mine gets a pretty good range out of it, and mine has the emg 81/60.
Quote by QuantumP7
Would I be able to order them custom?

Yes, but expect to pay at least $3000.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Yes, but expect to pay at least $3000.

I got a quote for a natural finished one-pickup Viper

and it was over $5000

TS, your best bet as far as versatility goes, is no matter what guitar you get (it doesn't even matter what guitar you have really lol), get either humbuckers with coil-taps, or next best, get a combo of single coils and a humbucker.
have a look into the ESP horizon with seymour duncans

they can be coil splitted too (not listed on the ESP usa website though, but they ship with push-push knob)
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by pwrmax
Last year in my school's jazz band there was a guitarist that had an ESP with EMGs 81 and 60 and it sounded great.

agreed mine sounds great playing jazz, and blues
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Any guitar can sound verstile if u can find the rgiht EQ on your amp.

I kknow a country artist who uses a Dean Razorback with a Randal amp.

his name is David Allan Coe
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Not all ESPs come with EMGs so yes.

dude EMG's arent just for metal

theyre actually way more versatile than people think

metal's just their strong point
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
If you don't even really know what would make a guitar versatile or not, you really, really should not be looking at the ESP Custom Shop. You're looking at around $4000 minimum there, and they're not going to be psychic and be able to tell exactly what you need, they'll only make it to the spec you give them so if you're not entirely sure on the spec you'r every likely going to end up paying thousands for a guitar that doesn't suit you.

The best way to get a good idea of what's versatile and what makes a versatile guitar, go to a store and try out lots of guitars. Every single one they let you put your hands on. Try and remember which ones did things you like, which ones did thing you didn't like, if there was any particular brand or style that felt better to you than others. That's the only real way to know what will be good for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by wolfeman85
dude EMG's arent just for metal

theyre actually way more versatile than people think

metal's just their strong point

Exactly, it's like using a racecar for street driving. It can be done, but it's just made for racing.
Quote by QuantumP7
Or are they just metal machines?

I'm planning to get a custom guitar, though I want something that's versatile. I was wondering if ESPs fit that bill. If you roll back the gain on it, could it sound good for something like the blues?

Would I need to get the Seymour Duncans for them?

If you need to ask questions like what pickups should be in it, then you need to put in a lot more research by actually playing guitars with different pickups and tones to see what suits you best. Better to find the tone you want in a guitar rather than relying on other people's ideal tones, one man's junk and all that
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by pwrmax
Exactly, it's like using a racecar for street driving. It can be done, but it's just made for racing.
This analogy doesn't quite work. Using active pickups for lower gain music is like using a racing car on regular streets on a normal day... but still flooring the accelerator and trying to drive at 130mph in a 40mph zone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
This analogy doesn't quite work. Using active pickups for lower gain music is like using a racing car on regular streets on a normal day... but still flooring the accelerator and trying to drive at 130mph in a 40mph zone.

It's worked for me, I had to turn down the volume knob a bit but it worked.