Hey, I'm looking for a tube amp and I've got a bit stuck on a few, wondering if you guys could help me out? I play a wide range of stuff, main ones being, AC/DC, Rory Gallagher, Stevie Ray Vaughan, RHCP, Chuck Berry, Beatles, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Cult.

It has to have two channels (footswitching preferred) and be in and around 30 watts. The distortion and clean are just as important as each other; but I don't really play metal so high gain isn't neccesary. FX loops aren't necessary, nor are built-in effects, but they might be a plus. It can be a half stack or a combo, doesn't matter; if it is a combo 212 is preferred. The amp's going to be used for bedroom practice, jamming and the occasional gig (small-ish pub gigs).

Budget: £1000 max

I've been looking at a few amps:

Orange Dual Terror head: 30 watts, two footswitchable channels: Tiny Terror and Fat (with Volume, Tone, Gain), switchable to 15W and 7.5W. Price: £450 for just the head. £438 for PPC 212 cab.

Orange Rocker 30 112 combo: 30 watts, two channels: Natural (just volume) and Dirty (full band EQ). Price: around £700.

Vox AC30 CC2 212: 30 watts, two channels, FX loop, tremolo and reverb, tons of other features, click for full list. Price: £799.

I'm not sure. I've only been able to try a few amps, the guitar stores round here haven't got that much. I think I'm leaning more towards the Dual Terror, the ability to switch wattage is interesting. Any other amps you would recommend?
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I was looking into getting a dual terror but then I came accross the Hayden Mofo, I bought it on the spot and love it. Really great for AC/DC sounds and georgous cleans.

Only one channel but it has a boost switch to engage the Mofo dial (adds gain, volume and tightens up sound) and FX loop.

It's only availbale as a 30 watt head and has a "stealth switch" which takes it down to about 3 watts.

It cost me £429 brand new which is pretty damn good for a handwired all valve amp.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
www.valvepower.co.uk
and

Oh and btw the Dual Terror is the worst of them three amps you mentioned.

This.

Or the AC30.

I wasn't such a fan of the MoFo, I found it to be a bit too much cleans and not enough growl. It's more a blues man's amp rather than a rocking amp. Unless you want to run it with the MoFo switch on, in which case it sounds pretty cool.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Sorry, what's that in human currency?
lawlawlawlawl
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
i agree with the valvepower for the distortion tones, as long as 18 watts is enough (it probably is if you don't need cleans, that's what i hear anyway, as I don't gig). It's also cheap enough that it'd leave you enough to buy another fendery amp for the cleans. you could, if you're lucky, pick up the valvepower, a cheap 2x12 cab (framus, maybe? though i haven't tried that one) and something like a blues deluxe or hotrod deluxe for £1000.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Yerjam
Any other amps you would recommend?

Take a look at laneys too if you can
Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree with the valvepower for the distortion tones, as long as 18 watts is enough (it probably is if you don't need cleans, that's what i hear anyway, as I don't gig). It's also cheap enough that it'd leave you enough to buy another fendery amp for the cleans. you could, if you're lucky, pick up the valvepower, a cheap 2x12 cab (framus, maybe? though i haven't tried that one) and something like a blues deluxe or hotrod deluxe for £1000.

I changed my mind. THIS is what you should do. Also for a cheap 2x12 Harley Benton's seem pretty good off thomann.de. With this you've got your awesome sounding marshally dist' channel and then a loverly fender clean channel quite a versatile rig.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Dave_Mc
This is a good idea.

The Hayden Mofo is supposed to be great. I'd love to try it out myself.

I'd stay away from the Orange Dual Terror - they're good amps (I've only played the Tiny Terror) but the clean is nothing special. I'd rather get the Hayden Mofo - it's cheaper, handwired, and no doubt sounds far superior.

The Orange Rocker 30 is a great amp. Really dark and brooding. Michal23 recently bought one. Lovely guy who knows what sounds good and what doesn't.

I've always liked what Vox have brought out... pretty much everything. I really can't imagine you'll be disappointed with an AC30.

Look into an ENGL Thunder, if you're into a more compressed, European tone, compared to a British one, that is.

Maybe a Hughes&kettner 25th Tube? I've heard they're quite good, although I'm not particularly partial to H&K gear personally.

You've also got the Laney VC30/50 and LC30/50 - really lovely British sounding amp. Some find them a bit dry and thin, but I'm cool with that as long as I get to push them hard and don't use too much onboard overdrive - I'd rather use a fuzz/overdrive pedal to boost it's gain.

Randall RG-50 TC. This is more American sounding. I think it's quite unique, maybe due to the 5881 valves, which aren't majorly common, IIRC. A lot of people find it very disappointing, and they have been known to break down, but it's an amp to look into.

Peavey Classic 30/50. This is somewhere between being an American and British amp. Great bluesy tones. You can pick them up for dirt cheap on ebay. It would leave room in your wallet for experimenting with pedals and such.
^^ + ^ - assuming he's willing to cart two amps around- alternatively maybe get a stereo cab (assuming that means you can plug two amps into the one cab), and get a custom amp builder like e.g. martamp/mjw to make you a head version of a fender clone. but that might end up being more expensive, and awkward.

I haven't tried the mofo either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?