Jackson DK2 w/new pups
48 48%
Ibanez RG350dx w/new pups and trem
17 17%
Ibanez RG2570z
35 35%
Voters: 100.
Page 1 of 2
I am a lover of superstrats and was looking into buying a Ibanez rg350dx or Jackson dk2 dinky it is only my third guitar and don't want to spend £1000 so about £600-700 at the most. I was going to upgrade these pickups and maybe the trems within my budget so about £250-350 for pickups and stuff.

I was also looking on the ibanez website and liked the RG2570z for about £600-800.
Would this be a better idea and then eventually change pickups and watever.

Also do not flame my amp because for gigging i use a halfstack that is brilliant so no "get a new amp" rubbish please

The guitars are:

Ibanez RG2570z

Ibanez RG350DX

Jackson DK2
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Why would you want to change the pickups in the Jackson? The SD's are very very nice pickups!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I want an iron maiden-esque sound and the singles are only duncan designed
Im going to put dimarzios in them.
The pups im goin to use are Dimarzio SD , Chopper and either a Pro Track(jackson) or air norton (ibanezes)
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Try them and choose the most comfortable to you.

I'd go for the Jackson as they sit more comfortably for me than the RG but you could well be different.

LP_CL is right about the pickups aswell.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Soadchopsuey
How about the Ibanez Iceman ICT700? its within your budget

I would really like a superstart preferably because of the tone versatality
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I wouldnt consider the 350 and the 2570 in the same category really.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by drivermod
I wouldnt consider the 350 and the 2570 in the same category really.

They arent but if i upgraded one would it be better to get the 2570 insted
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Just out of interest, where did you hear that the STK-1 was Duncan Designed?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
As much as I love Ibanez , I really don't like the RG series [just a horrible shape]. Give me an S series any day.

Therefore, the Jackson wins [and it's a great guitar].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
They arent i heard that some of the models have the true SDs on and others have duncan designed single coils.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Well the DK2 doesn't use Duncan Designed pickups.

Had me confused there for a little while.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
jackson...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Im going to go and try them out sometime hopefully this weekend but is any of them good for playing iron maiden straight from being set up and is the jackson trem good or would i have to replace that because Ive only heard good things about the Ibanez edge zero out of the three.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I own a 370DX and tried a DK2T only 2 days ago. I prefer Ibanez, the neck feels so much more smooth to me, even though they are both similar sizes. I would say to get the 2570z and save your self the trouble and money of pickup/trem installation.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Is the 370 any good and have you changed any of your ibanez, because i want to know if the edge 3 is any good to live with for the moment, then get an upgrade, Would the Edge ZR/Zps3 in the 2570z be much more worth it because i would preferable prefer a H/S/H guitar as a play metallica rythm which ive seen it play awesomely and would like a beefy neck pickup and a pickup to do maiden in the bridge like adrian smith and dave murray and then have the chopper to blend the pickups tones together.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Yeh the 370 is decent, but there's many more guitars out there that are better. I haven't upgraded it though in anyway, because put it this way, the guitar is not worth the money to upgrade. The Edge III is quite annoying. It's not very stable, the tremelo arm just falls out on mine, but i haven't got any of the knife edge problems like many other users seem to get, probably because i don't use it a lot. It has only gone out of tune after a dive bomb once, the low E string just completely slipped!
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Sep 23, 2009,
So you don't want to spend £1000 for a great guitar but get one for £700 to upgrade it with another £300?
Makes no sense to me.
Also, which halfstack are you gigging with?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i own both RG's and DK2's. more than 1. I would say play them both. Jackson pups (seymour duncan) whip the IBZ hands down and dont need upgrading. Necks are different feels though. The jackson necks are slightly thicker. They are both quite flat.
I say paly them and see what you prefer. I like the jacksons more (I used to like ibanez exclusively, but then I tried and bought my first jackson.) Funny enough. I own a RSII Ibanez from the 80's, and the Jackson is closer in spec to that than RG's which are the modern RS's

play em and see..
Go with the RG2570Z. It's the best quality one out of the 3. It comes with good pickups and a good trem. The pickups probably won't be your style though. They're more like PAF Pros (the Dimarzio site says they're like a Super Distortion and Super 2 mixed with the Steve Morse but the Ibanez site said they're more like PAF Pros...they sound a lot more like PAF Pros to me). Don't even bother with the RG370 since you'll end up spending a lot more money upgrading and the RG2570Z will still be a lot better. I have the RG2550Z which is the exact same as the RG2570Z except with a different finish and a pickguard. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It comes with actual Dimarzios which are great and the Edge Zero makes me hate all other trems except the Edge ZR.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by JesusCrisp
So you don't want to spend £1000 for a great guitar but get one for £700 to upgrade it with another £300?
Makes no sense to me.
Also, which halfstack are you gigging with?

I use a dsl60 through a 2*12 cab with v30s in it or a JVM combo sometimes.

Quote by JELIFISH19
Go with the RG2570Z. It's the best quality one out of the 3. It comes with good pickups and a good trem. The pickups probably won't be your style though. They're more like PAF Pros (the Dimarzio site says they're like a Super Distortion and Super 2 mixed with the Steve Morse but the Ibanez site said they're more like PAF Pros...they sound a lot more like PAF Pros to me). Don't even bother with the RG370 since you'll end up spending a lot more money upgrading and the RG2570Z will still be a lot better. I have the RG2550Z which is the exact same as the RG2570Z except with a different finish and a pickguard. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It comes with actual Dimarzios which are great and the Edge Zero makes me hate all other trems except the Edge ZR.

They arent real dimarzios just like duncan designed but dimarzios insted.
Anyways does the edge zero stay in tune well and does it work well without the stop bar like a full floatin trem?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
They arent real dimarzios just like duncan designed but dimarzios insted.
Anyways does the edge zero stay in tune well and does it work well without the stop bar like a full floatin trem?

They're real Dimarzios made in the New York Factory. Their OEM models like the ones they put in EMBBs and Parkers. They're just custom wound specifically for Ibanez. You can always pull up and down on the trem at any point. But the stop bar gives it extra stability so it doesn't move when you bend or with heavy palm muting. It feels like a fixed bridge. You can whammy the same as an OFR except it doesn't have flutter. It stays in tune with the stop bar in or out, but if you're going to remove it, you might as well get an RG1570 or RG1550M. The Edge Zero is designed to work with the stop bar. Without it, you're missing some flexibility of a standard trem because there's only space for 2 springs. I've taken the stop bar out a few times, but it always goes right back on. There are a lot more advantages to having it in than just getting some flutter when it's out.
Quote by JELIFISH19
They're real Dimarzios made in the New York Factory. Their OEM models like the ones they put in EMBBs and Parkers. They're just custom wound specifically for Ibanez. You can always pull up and down on the trem at any point. But the stop bar gives it extra stability so it doesn't move when you bend or with heavy palm muting. It feels like a fixed bridge. You can whammy the same as an OFR except it doesn't have flutter. It stays in tune with the stop bar in or out, but if you're going to remove it, you might as well get an RG1570 or RG1550M. The Edge Zero is designed to work with the stop bar. Without it, you're missing some flexibility of a standard trem because there's only space for 2 springs. I've taken the stop bar out a few times, but it always goes right back on. There are a lot more advantages to having it in than just getting some flutter when it's out.

Oh ok because i only need it for accurate tuning and to get good dives really for stuff which i cant play without one because i only have a hardtail ESP viper at the moment which i was kind of rushing into buying because i wanted an SG style guitar

Just need to find a shop in the west midlands that sells em then to try one out cos i think nearby its: ESP, Jackson, Ashton,Gibson, used or scrap
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 23, 2009,
Still, why get a cheap guitar and upgrade it for the same money you could get a guitar which you wouldn't have to upgrade?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Still, why get a cheap guitar and upgrade it for the same money you could get a guitar which you wouldn't have to upgrade?

Ive basically ruled out the Rg350 now and anyway its my own set of pickups that ive chose im putting in so they wont be in a certain guitar will they unless i get a sig guitar which would be like £5000 even though the materials will be at tops £1000
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 23, 2009,
Went out to test guitars today and hated the jackson it was not very nice Imho.
I couldnt find any of the ibanezes on my OP but came across a rg570(i think) for only £400 is this worth it because all the prestiges now are £700+ and this RG was fine and was no major visible damage to it as i could see except it had no trem cover which they can get for it.

Worth it?

(not the actuall guitar ive seen)

Specs as far as i know:

Colour-Very Dark blue/purple/black cant really tell
Trem-Edge Pro
Pickups- Neck-V7
Middle-S1
Bridge-V8
5-way pickup selecter w/1 tone and 1 volume
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 26, 2009,
Is the above guitar a good deal anyone?????
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Go for a Jackson man- the ibanez rg series is nice, but the DK2 is a really great guitar for the price due to its cost, quality, and workmanship.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
ive got to say that i didnt actually like the jackson i tried it was a DK1 but it didnt really feel right to me. I loved the Ibanez neck however so would u think that was a good deal for what it is?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I think you can do better for 400- that guitar seems eh to me, but thats just my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
im an Ibby man myself but in this case the Jackson is better value.
Edge Pro would be better imo, but the finish and pickup on the Jackson are great
Rhythm In Jump. Dancing Close To You
Quote by riflesndaisies
ive got to say that i didnt actually like the jackson i tried it was a DK1 but it didnt really feel right to me. I loved the Ibanez neck however so would u think that was a good deal for what it is?

You prefer a RG570 over a DK1??????????????????????????????????????????

wow dude...
That means:
- the Jackson was terribly set up.
- you are nuts.
- you mean DK2 and it also had a bad setup.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
You prefer a RG570 over a DK1??????????????????????????????????????????

wow dude...
That means:
- the Jackson was terribly set up.
- you are nuts.
- you mean DK2 and it also had a bad setup.
Whoa, get over yourself.

I'd grab that Jackson before either of those Ibanez's. But then I'm no fan of the Prestige necks and I wouldn't spend money on a guitar with an Edge III. I had good luck with the Edge III on my 350DX but after all the horrid things I've read I wouldn't want to take my chances again.

That being said, I'd grab that 570 if it was H-H instead of HSH.

TL;DR?

If it's a fixed bridge you're after, go for a cheap-o Ibanez and do some upgrades. It will slay.

If it's a licensed bridge you want, go for a Jackson. Their licensed bridges seem to hold up very very well. I just did a setup on a 9-year old Kelly and the bridge is still flawless.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Whoa, get over yourself.

I'd grab that Jackson before either of those Ibanez's. But then I'm no fan of the Prestige necks and I wouldn't spend money on a guitar with an Edge III. I had good luck with the Edge III on my 350DX but after all the horrid things I've read I wouldn't want to take my chances again.

That being said, I'd grab that 570 if it was H-H instead of HSH.

TL;DR?

If it's a fixed bridge you're after, go for a cheap-o Ibanez and do some upgrades. It will slay.

If it's a licensed bridge you want, go for a Jackson. Their licensed bridges seem to hold up very very well. I just did a setup on a 9-year old Kelly and the bridge is still flawless.

I liked the ibanez more probably because the noobs at one local shop wont let me use their guitars(jackson) with whammy bar actually in but i could play the ibanez cos it was from a different shop.

It was actually a dK1 with EMGs and was not the sort of tone i was looking for as i want a 80s/Signature sort of tone which is y i will eventually change all my pickups in every guitar i own. I have tried a jackson ps2 however which i liked the 80s/AC/DC sound i could get out of it.

I want a H/S/H or HSS for the tone versatality and for a different sounding guitar than others. I actually liked the ibanez and couldnt find anything wrong with it other than the missing trem cover was that. The edge pro on it was freaking awesome!!!!

And i definately want a FR of some sorts
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
I would really like a superstart preferably because of the tone versatality

The Iceman would actually be more versatile than the superstrats. Mixed pickups =/= versatile, because every pickup on those guitars is super hot.

I'd really advise not getting a guitar with a trem if you're going to be playing Iron Maiden-ish stuff. If you play Steve Vai and Joe Satriani mostly then it's acceptable, but it's SUCH a hassle if you don't completely need it.

Out of those though, go Jackson.
Dickless.
Maiden use tonnes of trem in live perfomances and i play steve vai and satch just not a lot of it. Besides my compositions have lots of solos that need a trem of some sort but my mate plays them atm but hes not as good as me.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
RG570 for £400?

Bargain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2