Hi, I play on a Peavey 6505+ and Mesa Dual Rec 2x12 cab. I play at lower volumes mostly since other people are in the house.

I find the distortion for heavier music (parkway drive)can be thin. I was thinking about getting an overdrive pedal? I heard good things about the maxon od808 ?

Can anyone provide some feedback or suggestions?

Thanks
Maxon would be great. Any tubescreamer clone would do well really. On a budget, I'd say Bad Monkey, but a Maxon would be pretty ideal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Crank it . Who cares about people in the house!

or

Get an attenuator. It might help getting a thicker distortion.

But even though this is true. You won't get that complete full thick distortion without driving the speakers a little too.

An OD might help too.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
It's more likely to be the fact you play it on a low volume and incorrect EQ to be honest, the 6505/5150 etc range are designed for heavy music, as you call it.
get an attenuator, you really dont need more distortion for a 6505, you just need to push your tubes harder.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

ok thanks, quite a few suggestions : overdrive pedal, attenuator, or just workthe EQ better.

I heard that attenuators do not do much for the 6505+? is this true?

Also, I've tried many EQ settings, and though they sound fine, I just feel its lacking something.
Why not get a boost pedal?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
No, the idea of an attenuator is to simply get the tubes hotter.... therefore more distortion. What amp you have really doesnt matter in that respect, as long as it has tubes it will sound much better. But a good test is to wait for everyone to leave, then crank it. If you like the sound then get an attenuator.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
No, the idea of an attenuator is to simply get the tubes hotter.... therefore more distortion. What amp you have really doesnt matter in that respect, as long as it has tubes it will sound much better. But a good test is to wait for everyone to leave, then crank it. If you like the sound then get an attenuator.

ok cool, thats a really good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Get an overdrive. That amp needs one to begin with, I can't stand to play a 5150 without one.

IMO, the 5150 is one of the better amps for playing at low volume, I wouldn't even bother with an attenuator with a metal amp

What are your settings?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bad Monkey should do it for u, its great!
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by kylendm
Crank it . Who cares about people in the house!

or

Get an attenuator. It might help getting a thicker distortion.

But even though this is true. You won't get that complete full thick distortion without driving the speakers a little too.

An OD might help too.

+1
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by MatrixClaw
Get an overdrive. That amp needs one to begin with, I can't stand to play a 5150 without one.

IMO, the 5150 is one of the better amps for playing at low volume, I wouldn't even bother with an attenuator with a metal amp

What are your settings?

+1

I was running two OD's to get mine where I wanted it.

Also new tubes and bias adjustment can help out greatly.