Ugh, so im trying to install 2gb of RAM into my PC (quadcore artec 3.0ghz 2x1 gb RAM currently installed). When i put the ram in the PC does not turn on at all! I phoned the company to help and they just kept saying 'if it is faulty ram you need to send it in but if it is not faulty we will charge you'.

Is this a common fault? Does RAM commonly not work? Is there anything i can do to test whether it is the RAM that is faulty or not?
Quote by Venice King
Irrelevant - send it to them.

It is not irrelevant if the ram is NOT faulty and i am charged £20 for sending it in.
When you put the ram in and try to turn the pc on, do little green lights flash on the motherboard followed by a series of beeps?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
When you put the ram in and try to turn the pc on, do little green lights flash on the motherboard followed by a series of beeps?

no
Are you taking out your old ram or are you just adding a stick?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Are you installing it with your old ram still in? Are they the same make/model?
"Oh, if i could kidnap that feeling, the one that melts all fears from your mind."
Quote by Babbs

i thought you meant there was some ancient indian spirit named desi who would come and haunt me during my trip.
Quote by generatestatic
Are you installing it with your old ram still in? Are they the same make/model?

Yes it is corsair 2x1 that was in it originally

I am updating it with corsair 2x1 ram now to make 4gb of RAM
First of all, check that you haven't unplugged any cables, as you should at least get some response. If the RAM fails, the computer tends to either not boot properly, or boot, then crash. If you have no repsonse whatsoever (incl. no light on the MB), the fault is probably not with the RAM.

Secondly, try installing the old RAM again, and see if that helps. If it does, bad RAM, otherwise, you messed up something else.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Well, if the original one works, and the new one doesnt, that tells you somthing is wrong with the ram, or your having a compatibility issue.

There isnt anything wrong with the computer.
Quote by Vypor
Well, if the original one works, and the new one doesnt, that tells you somthing is wrong with the ram, or your having a compatibility issue.

There isnt anything wrong with the computer.

what i might do is replace the original one with the new one and see if the pc works. thinking outside the box
Quote by lucertia.
what i might do is replace the original one with the new one and see if the pc works. thinking outside the box

My thoughts exactly, in these kind of situations most of the time the latencys don't match, making the memory incompatible with one another