I'm sorry if this should not be here, so if so could you move it to where it should be as I wasn't quite sure where to put it. Or Delete it if it needs be. I just wan't to know an answer to these questions three.

Right. I'm going to be buying the Peavey 6505 2 x 12 60Wt Valve combo soon, & I am wondering is a 60Wt Vave combo good enough for small gigs [obviously providing they have a house P.A. to hook the amp up to]? Also Does anyone know if you can hook a cab up with it incase I need an volume boost? & finally how far in terms of venue size could I get before needing to get something more powerful? I'm just trying to spend the minimum on what I need amp wise, I see local Leicester metal bands playing the metal clubs and gigging areas with full stacks & I'm pretty certain they don't need that much. Correct me if I'm right.

Thank you, Josh.
if you go past 3, it'll be loud enough w/o a PA for medium and probably large gigs too. Valve amps past 3 which are at least 30w are ear splittingly loud.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
if you go past 3, it'll be loud enough w/o a PA for medium and probably large gigs too. Valve amps past 3 which are at least 30w are ear splittingly loud.

this. Also, 6505s are loud to begin with. You'll be fine, only reason to mike it would be to help project sound over a wider area via the PA
I have one 25W and one 75W solid state amp and i never got past 7 (volume) on the 25W or 3 on the 75W and a tube amp is significantly louder at the same wattage than a solid state.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
It's louder than you need, really. I've seen bands use 10W and 15W combos for gigs to save space on stage, they just need to be mic'd up, which every amp is anyway.
Stick with what you've got if you like the tone.
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
In that case then, what low wattage valve amp would anyone reccomend for practicing at home with? I mainly play death, thrash and heavy metal.

A Tube Vypyr 60 can get you bedroom ish volumes and it can handle Small - Med size gigs.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
60w valve amps are normally loud. 6505's are louder than most amps. so no need to worry volume wise.

If you playing a gig where you have to put your own amp into the PA rather than a sound man doing it for you then this amp will be loud enough to fill the venue without the PA.

EDIT: why do you list your lead in your gear
Last edited by doive at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
In that case then, what low wattage valve amp would anyone reccomend for practicing at home with? I mainly play death, thrash and heavy metal.
As well I don't mind small amps other than valve for practicing at home, that's strictly all it is going to be for. I'll be using the Peavey for gigging.

& response to the lead question, why not? It's part of my gear, they're quality, & a cable can also contribute to your sound.
Not bumping, just easier to write what I want to in this thread than making another.

So I'm going to go ahead and get it but I'm confused about the different ways of getting the cranked volumes at a lower volume via an attentuator. I know I can get one and use that, but I read by someone here about pre-amping or something getting the cranked volumes a different way to just using an attenuator. Is that better? If I'm going to get an attenuator what else do I need? & what attentuators are good? I searched and couldn't find a decent thread on which attenuators are good.
just get a hotplate or attenuator with your 6505, there are various worthwhile ones. Ask the guys at any gear store you trust
Last edited by guidothepimmp at Sep 28, 2009,
does your amp have master volume?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
turn the pre to 10 and post to whatever suit you
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
So does that mean you're saying the post gain acts as a master volume then? Valve amps need to be driven though & I can't at my upstairs flat! That's why I need an attenuator..

Can't anyone give me a clear answer?

Tube amps don't really NEED to be driven. They still sound very good at low volumes, they just get better as they get louder. However, with metal (which I assume you're playing because of the 6505), you rely much more on preamp distortion that power amp OD. This gives you the tight sound that you pretty much need for metal. For this reason, I don't recommend getting an attenuator for your amp. Simply run it at a lower volume. And yes, the post gain essentially will act as a master volume then.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Tube amps don't really NEED to be driven. They still sound very good at low volumes, they just get better as they get louder. However, with metal (which I assume you're playing because of the 6505), you rely much more on preamp distortion that power amp OD. This gives you the tight sound that you pretty much need for metal. For this reason, I don't recommend getting an attenuator for your amp. Simply run it at a lower volume. And yes, the post gain essentially will act as a master volume then.
Thank You!! Finally. Beautiful, I understand now. Just needed someone to tell me in a bit of depth. & yeah it's for metal. I got it into my head that I needed one. How about the biasing? Do you think it will need biasing?
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
Thank You!! Finally. Beautiful, I understand now. Just needed someone to tell me in a bit of depth. & yeah it's for metal. I got it into my head that I needed one. How about the biasing? Do you think it will need biasing?

Biasing? As in, when you first get it, does it need to be biased? If you buy the amp new, it shouldn't need biasing. If you change tubes, you should rebias unless you change to the exact same brand and model of tubes. And you should still check the bias every once in a while to be sure. If you buy the amp used, you should check the amp yourself (sorry, I dunno how to do this) or send it to a tech to get it checked out.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Cannibal Corpse
How much difference is there with tone on a valve with playing it at low levels and getting an attenuator to get cranked volumes at a lower level? 'Cause I do very much care about my tone.

That depends on what kind of music you're playing. With rock and blues, you want that cranked tone because the soft clipping of power tube saturation is very desirable. For metal, however, you don't want that cranked amp sound because it is very loose, and you will not have the low-end clarity that you need.

If you're playing metal, then, you probably don't wanna push your amp too much further than halfway. And don't worry about headroom, 60 Watts tube is much louder than you will ever need.

Finally, to answer your question about the attenuator, for rock and blues, even heavy rock, the attenuator will make a huge difference in tone. Not to say that tube amps sound bad at low volumes, far from it, but the attenuator certainly improves it. For metal, the attenuator would make your tone worse in a live situation, because you'd be pushing the power section too hard. If you want to play at like 3 or 4 at bedroom volumes, then I guess the attenuator's not such a bad idea.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
That depends on what kind of music you're playing. With rock and blues, you want that cranked tone because the soft clipping of power tube saturation is very desirable. For metal, however, you don't want that cranked amp sound because it is very loose, and you will not have the low-end clarity that you need.

If you're playing metal, then, you probably don't wanna push your amp too much further than halfway. And don't worry about headroom, 60 Watts tube is much louder than you will ever need.

Finally, to answer your question about the attenuator, for rock and blues, even heavy rock, the attenuator will make a huge difference in tone. Not to say that tube amps sound bad at low volumes, far from it, but the attenuator certainly improves it. For metal, the attenuator would make your tone worse in a live situation, because you'd be pushing the power section too hard. If you want to play at like 3 or 4 at bedroom volumes, then I guess the attenuator's not such a bad idea.
I'm buying it brand new, so no biasing then 'til I have to get some new poweramp tunes. Right o'. Hmmm. Well I mostly play metal of all sorts. There's no way I could crank it here unless the neighbours & my mum have gone out. I wouldn't use an attenuator for a gig. So do you know any decent attenuators at all or do you not use one yourself [if you have a valve amp that is]?