Hey, I am in need of a new metal guitar, I currently have an esp ltd ax-50, but it is falling apart, ive had it for a few years and its just about to die. So...

I NEED A NEW GUITAR, one with good distortion. My main priority is it has to be able to do drop tuinings really well, and stay in tune when i drop it down. I want a pretty sound guitar that can solo and chug at the same time, so if anybody could help me out PLZZZZ.

Also my price range is about 500, maybe 600 or 700 but nothing over that.

BTW, i like distortions like that in Bullet for my Valentine, Linkin Park (old stuff), August Burns Red and Devil Wears Prada, where the palm muting is very very clear and loud.
Last edited by P0W3RH0U53 at Sep 23, 2009,
What currency?
From what you've said, I'm going to say either LTD or Schecter. Possibly the Washburn HM/WM/HV series.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser would be the best bet. Maybe the FR version too if you can afford it but if youre going to be changing your tunings a lot then dont get it...just get the regular one.
If not that then theres plenty of Ibanez RG models in a wide price range and theyre very good versatile guitars. I'm a proud RG player and very satisfied with it!
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
What amp are you using?
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Ibanez RGA.

And you can spend the remaining money on a better amp if necesarry.
.... which amp are you runnin' now anyway?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
You don't get the distorion from the guitar, it comes from the amp.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
^^ Yeah but some pickups don't like distortion too much.

Why else would there be the "Ducan Distortion" pickup?

A few others come to mind as well...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

amps influences distortion WAAAYY MORE that pups, ive played my friedns xiphos with emgs through my starter amp, then i played my crappy behringer through my bugera, guess which one sounded better
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
amps influences distortion WAAAYY MORE that pups, ive played my friedns xiphos with emgs through my starter amp, then i played my crappy behringer through my bugera, guess which one sounded better

That's tone, not distortion. There is a difference. Go play the Xiphos through your Burgera and see which sounds better, and heavier. EMGs, Blackouts, and Livewires specifically (as actives) respond to a distorted signal better than other pickups, although pickups such as the DiMarzio Super Distortion and Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion do as well. It has to do with the winding of the coils.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
That's tone, not distortion. There is a difference. Go play the Xiphos through your Burgera and see which sounds better, and heavier. EMGs, Blackouts, and Livewires specifically (as actives) respond to a distorted signal better than other pickups, although pickups such as the DiMarzio Super Distortion and Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion do as well. It has to do with the winding of the coils.

thats what im saying man...my bugera has better distortion, if pickups had natural distortion an nothing was up to the amp then we would be playing through standard speakers, not amps
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
thats what im saying man...my bugera has better distortion, if pickups had natural distortion an nothing was up to the amp then we would be playing through standard speakers, not amps

It's not all up to the amp though. Active pickups like EMGs, Blackouts, and Livewires will drive the amp more if it's a tube amp, therefore producing more distortion. And even then, if you're using a pedal, you'll still get more distortion out of a Xiphos with EMGs than a stock Stratocaster.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
It's not all up to the amp though. Active pickups like EMGs, Blackouts, and Livewires will drive the amp more if it's a tube amp, therefore producing more distortion. And even then, if you're using a pedal, you'll still get more distortion out of a Xiphos with EMGs than a stock Stratocaster.

They don't drive the amp at all. If you want pups that give you more distortion you want single coils that will overdrive your amp quicker yet, they will sound fuzzy. High output pups just handle distortion better so you can add more gain without a major fizzy sound and it won't break up so much. So in no way do pups create distorion they just handle better. Anways TS I would go for something like a Jackson DK2T(thats the version without a trem I think) or an ltd ec-401.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Not a single one of you seems to have a grasp on how pickups relate to distortion and the high levels of misinformation in this thread are making me feel physically sick.

No. Different pickups do not ''react'' to distortion better. Some pickups may naturally respond to lower or higher frequencies better, some may be more articulate, but that applies to all tones - clean and distorted - and has nothing to do with distortion specifically.

These are the only ways pickups relate to distortion, and when I say 'only', I mean only:
  • High output pickups let you drive an amp harder. This means if you get some amp lightly breaking up with some low output pickups and then switch to some higher output pickups, the harshness of the signal clipping will increase, giving ''harder'' distortion. The downside to this is if your pickups are very high output and your amp is naturally high-gain, it can be very hard to get a clean tone out of it.
    You use higher output pickups to drive your amp harder in this way when you like the tone of your amp and don't want to change to a naturally higher gain amp, but the amp's existing natural valve breakup (distortion) isn't enough for your tastes even if you have the pre-amp gain maxed out. So you switch to higher output pickups, generating a hotter signal that forces harsher signal clipping and thus harder distortion from the same amp.
    You can also use an overdrive pedal or clean boost pedal to do the same thing; they will increase your signal, just like if you used higher output pickups. The advantage of using pedals to do this instead of using high output pickups is you can just turn them off instantly and go back to low output pickups and a perfectly clean tone whenever you want. However, you can't adjust them mid-song. Boost pedals can also generate a much higher output than any passive pickup can. The advantage high output pickups have over using boost pedals is though you can't instantly cut the distortion, you do have the option of using the volume control to gradually roll down the output so you can alter the level of distortion mid-song very easily.
  • Active pickups exist to generate the same output that boost pedals do, but with the flexibility of being able to roll down the output to anything you want with the guitar's volume control and they also minimise background noise. When playing with high outputpickups or a boosted signal through a high-gain amp, background noise can often become a problem (even with humbucking pickups). Active pickups filter off the frequencies that are commonly unwanted. This both lowers the volume of background noise even at high gain and also compresses the tone slightly, which can make various playing dynamics stand out more - this is why pinch harmonics tend to come out clearer with active pickups than with passive pickups.

It should be noted, in case you didn't pick up on it from the above, that high output pickups (both passive and active) shouldn't be used if you use overdrive pedals, clean boost pedals, fuzz pedals, distortion pedals, or if you don't actually need an increase in gain (e.g. your amp may alreayd provide you with all the gain and natural distortion you need).

You also shouldn't use any of these pickups if your amp is a solid state, hyrbid or modleling amplifier. They're only designed to be used with all-valve amplifiers and in fact using active pickups or a very strong boost pedal through a solid state amp can cause not only a very horrible tone but also damage the amp, if you push it hard enough. There are a very small number of solid state amplifiers that are designed to be used with active pickups - however these are rare, cost many thousands and are designed for use in jazz music, with no gain and are usually built to be nearly incapable of any kind of distortion (jazz players often like the combination of these expensive solid state amps and active pickups as it gives the cleanest tone possible with absolutely no background noise).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Still, some stock Ibanez pickups through a Peavey 6505+ will probably sound better than EMG's through a Roland cube, for example.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKjGnApeZE

Quote by falconthefirst
Still, some stock Ibanez pickups through a Peavey 6505+ will probably sound better than EMG's through a Roland cube, for example.

EMG's sound dreadful through SS amps, so with no doubt, they would sound better through a 6505.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Sep 23, 2009,