Hey all.

As the title says, I just got hold of a minijack-jack converter, and I want to try recording some stuff onto my computer.

problem is, I don't have an external sound card. my question is: can I safely plug the Line Out on my guitar amp directly into the Mic Line In on the back of my PC?

The amp is a Bugera 120w all tube amp. It doesn't have any sort of headphone output or anything like that, and I don't want to risk burning my internal soundcard.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
If you haven't got a headphone or direct/emulated output then you'll probably fry your sound card and possibly your amp's output transformer.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Reeen
I think you'll kill your soundcard...

I won't try it

well, you know. it's not the loudspeaker output.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Uh...Google perhaps..
I think there is software that does this. If I am correct it is via USB,

once again:
Uh...Google perhaps..
Last edited by siksofus at Sep 23, 2009,
I've done it, but you only get a clean sound unless you plug an effects pedal along with it. I also used a web based application called Audacity, that you can put on your machine for free for recording and playback. you can record multiple tracks using this software
Quote by mps59
I've done it, but you only get a clean sound unless you plug an effects pedal along with it. I also used a web based application called Audacity, that you can put on your machine for free for recording and playback. you can record multiple tracks using this software

no thats plugging your guitar into your computer, u fool, not your amp. read the TS's post.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
If it has a headphone jack, then yes.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
If it has a headphone jack, then yes.

There is some kind of output on the back, called "Line Out". And it has it's own volume control. I'm not sure what it is for.

EDIT: My manual tells me this: the OUT provides a preamp signal to a second amplifier and loudspeaker system, for example.
Last edited by Eskil Rask at Sep 23, 2009,
I use an interface that Line 6 makes that's great. I plug my guitar into that and plug the interface into a USB port on my computer. It comes with POD Farm which has amazing effects and amp emulation. I bought it for around $100-200 and was absolutely worth it. I'd highly recommend it for home recordings.
it is POSSIBLE but it won't end well... i seriously doubt you will get a resistance match between that heads line-out and your laptop. From that perspective alone it's a bad idea like attaching your head to the wrong impedance cab.
Quote by Eskil Rask
There is some kind of output on the back, called "Line Out". And it has it's own volume control. I'm not sure what it is for.

Plug a speaker into it, if it's audible through the amp's speaker then don't use it as a headphone jack.

Alternatively, READ THE AMP MANUAL.
Quote by Eskil Rask

"Line Out" is just that, a safe line-level output which you can send into your PC/Mac. I'd still read the manual to be sure.

You CANNOT use a speaker or cab output to go into your computer.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Abacus11
I use an interface that Line 6 makes that's great. I plug my guitar into that and plug the interface into a USB port on my computer. It comes with POD Farm which has amazing effects and amp emulation. I bought it for around $100-200 and was absolutely worth it. I'd highly recommend it for home recordings.

Yeah, I'm going to buy that too, but I just wanted to try this until i get it
Quote by Kevy Absolution
"Line Out" is just that, a safe line-level output which you can send into your PC/Mac. I'd still read the manual to be sure.

You CANNOT use a speaker or cab output to go into your computer.

The manual says that it sends a preamp signal for use with a second amp/speaker system. does that mean im safe to go?
Quote by Eskil Rask
The manual says that it sends a preamp signal for use with a second amp/speaker system. does that mean im safe to go?

Yup. Enjoy!
you can but it'll sound like ****. USB to jack is the best way to go.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Cool! ¨

Gonna go and try it out now
That's what it's for. You can go into the mic/line/aux in without fear of frying.
It'll work fine. But if you are using the mic input you should go to the mixer recording panel, select the advanced setting for the mic input and turn off the 20db boost. It won't hurt you computer leaving it on but you may get more noise and it will be much more likely to clip and sound like crap.
It sounds fair on clean, but the distorted sounds are completely messed up. (;

anyway, thanks for the help! now i now what to buy next - a sound card. are those Line 6 Pod Studio GX good?
It looks like the line out is designed to run into a power amp and guitar speaker instead of a PA. This means that you need a cab simulation like the Behringer Ultra-G to get rid of the harshness. Or you may just be clipping recording the distortion channel. The easiest way to check clipping is to record with Audacity and see if the waveform is maxing on the display. Make sure the audio preferences are set to mono or it may clip at half scale.

You could email tech support and ask them if the line out is designed for a PA or a power amp w/ guitar cabinet.

And yeah the Pod Studio is pretty good but it won't necessarily be true to your amp's tone unless you know what you are doing. If tech support says you should have a guitar cab then the Ultra-G will give you an emulation.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 23, 2009,
my microcube has a headphone jack 1/4, that i use a 1/4 to a mini jack and connect it to my line in on my onboard sound card. no problems, nothing broken. I use my computer as a tuner(i stopped using it for amp/pedal effects though).