Okay, so for the last couple o' months I've pretty much had my sights set for an Engl Blackmore. Mind you, I've never actually played it (sadly not possible here), but I've done all research even remotely humanly possible (I read through the entire ****in' Engl thread, yea, I'm that dedicated ).

Now this was all fine and dandy untill a day or so ago, when I finally finished stockpiling money for a blackmore + framus 212 from thomann and decided to do quick search on our equivalent to craigslist....

I just had to find a used Soldano Hot Rod 50+ costing exactly the same as a new Blackmore!

Now don't get me wrong, I haven't tried it or anything, but here in the cold, barren wastes of northern europe just mentioning Soldano will make people cream their pants.

So, you've probably guessed by now that I need some good, solid UG advice.

What should I go for? The Soldano is seriously tempting me just from the name and knowing what it costs new!

Tones I'm after: First and foremost a slightly beefier Slayer/RTL-era 'tallica style distortion. Second, good cleans/blues crunch. I would also love to be able to pull of some stoner rock/metal, think Sleep, Bigelf, Witchcraft and The Sword (not main priority though).

It needs to sound good at low levels, some of us actually have neighbours (that won't hesitate to call the police!)

Needs to record well!

Other suggestions are naturally welcome to; Absolute maximum I can strech to is probably around 1600 € , for both head and cab.

And again, in all likelyhood, I sadly won't have the chance to try before I buy

TL;DR version:
Soldano HR50+ or Engl Blackmore, which does a *slightly* beefier, chuggier 80's Marshall-thrash tone better, without blowing my head off!

(Any and all spelling/grammar mistakes are hereby blamed on the fact that I haven't sleept for god knows how long)

Peace out!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Soldano.

because it has a greater value in the used market than the Blackmore
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Sep 23, 2009,
Go for it. Please?
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Soldano's are awesome, nearly every high gainer is in some from related to the Solo, I have not heard the HR50, but I sure its awesome, plus if don't like sell it, you won't loose as much money buying used, with the Blackmore you stand to take a pretty good hit going new, plus you will have no trouble selling the HR50. Go for it!!!
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Oh my what a dilema to be in :eyeroll:
lol just kidding. I'd take ths Soldano. The ones i've seen on the market seem to hold their value for a longer time than engl's.

any way to try them both out?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
The Soldano sounds like the better one. I've also never heard the other amp, but I think you would enjoy the Soldano. It's also a more lucrative investment than the Blackmore.
I own a Soldano, & I think in your situation, you'd be nuts not to buy the HR50+. The OD circuit is IDENTICAL to the SLO (just made with parts that aren't lifetime warranty instead of the military-spec SLO parts), & probably sounds so close to an SLO you'd never know the difference (I've only played an SLO, no other Soldanos). Be ready to sharpen your skills, though. Those amps don't sit well with sloppy technique !

Also-FYI, since it's the 50+, you get the SLO crunch channel also, which actually can be dialed down to get brilliant cleans at low pre-amp settings. I use mine for gigging, & just set the channel volumes, & there you go.
The only down side to these amps is the +4db FX loop (if the HR is the same as the SLO). It requires the use of good rack gear in the loop, because the loop doesn't take pedals well. You can still put any pedals in front if you want, & they sound fine.
Good luck, man. I hope it works out!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i haven't tried the hot rod, but assuming it sounds close to the avenger i've tried (supposedly it also has the SLO od channel), then i'd go with the soldano. Assuming it's in good nick, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the swift responses! I'm definitly leaning more towards the Soldano, after hearing clips and researching it a bit it's certainly looking juicier by the minute.

Although on some of the clips I've heard it sounds a tad trebly and compressed, is it the same IRL or just bad clips?

How will it sound at lower volumes, compared to the Engl that is?

I seem to have gotten the impression that Soldanos are somewhat specialized lead guitar amps, I'm probably wrong but please quell my doubts =)

I'd also be forever grateful if someone cared to point out some of the tonal diffrences between the HR50+ and the Blackmore, it's still highly unlikely that I'll get to try either of them before decision time.

BUY TEH SOLDANO NAO!!!!!11!!"-disclaimer
It is a totally awesome deal, and in the end, I probably will take it. But for the last couple of months I've been so convinced that the Blackmore was the perfect amp for me at that budget. Granted I never considered a soldano because that just din't seem realistic at the time. Bottomline: I don't wanna pull the trigger on this one without some careful consideration, since this is a blind buy.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Last edited by Revrend. at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Revrend.
Thanks for all the swift responses! I'm definitly leaning more towards the Soldano, after hearing clips and researching it a bit it's certainly looking juicier by the minute.

Although on some of the clips I've heard it sounds a tad trebly and compressed, is it the same IRL or just bad clips?

How will it sound at lower volumes, compared to the Engl that is?

I seem to have gotten the impression that Soldanos are somewhat specialized lead guitar amps, I'm probably wrong but please quell my doubts =)

I'd also be forever grateful if someone cared to point out some of the tonal diffrences between the HR50+ and the Blackmore, it's still highly unlikely that I'll get to try either of them before decision time.

BUY TEH SOLDANO NAO!!!!!11!!"-disclaimer
It is a totally awesome deal, and in the end, I probably will take it. But for the last couple of months I've been so convinced that the Blackmore was the perfect amp for me at that budget. Granted I never considered a soldano because that just din't seem realistic at the time. Bottomline: I don't wanna pull the trigger on this one without some careful consideration, since this is a blind buy.

My SLO sounds incredible at low volume, even down to whisper volume, it sounds good. Very chunky rhythms if you want them. They are a very crisp, aggressive sound. The excessive treble you heard on certain clips could be any number of things. For one, all the EQ controls on my amp have a dramatic effect (in other words, they really work!), esp the presence knob in the higher ranges. On presence, if you go from 9 to 11 (all the knobs go to 11 )(not 9:00 to 11:00, but from nearly maxed to fully maxed), there is a huge amount of treble boost, yet the presence really doesn't seem to add a lot of treble from 2 to 9 (I actually called Soldano about this because I thought there was something wrong, but it's normal for the SLO OD circuit). If the clips you mentioned had the presence set high, it would def sound thin like am radio. I just set all the knobs (except master volume, God forbid) on 5, & it gets amazing tone.
I'm just worried that if you buy the Soldano, it will articulate so well that you may be frustrated playing it at first, because it is extremely unforgiving of sloppy technique & mistakes. You hear all of it, but once you get a feel for how well it responds to touch, & learn to control it, you'll be amazed at what you can do. I admit that I was somewhat sad when I first bought mine, thinking maybe something was wrong with the amp, but I finally realized that it's all in the hands. I can pull of the coolest stuff with that amp with lots of subtle tonal variances that you'd never hear on most amps. Playing an SLO makes you feel like you have dog hearing, because you hear so much detail.
Sorry about the long post, but I hope it helps. Playing a Soldano will force you to become a better player, & that alone has been rewarding enough for me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Okay, so I sent the guy selling it an email asking what tubes and such are in it, turns it he still uses the *stock* Sovtek's in the power section (the amp is from '93...) and Ruby tubes in the preamp. So, for just about 1200 € I can the Soldano, he'll even throw in a footswitch. I'm so close to snatch it, seems like the only logical course of action as this price, I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it without loss/small profit.

Now for a new question: If I do get it, what cab do you guys recommend? I'm looking at the Framus 212, which about as far as I can strech, should be decent right?

Thanks once again guys, especially Riffhog, you've been amazing!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
The Framus 212 is probably the best 'cheap' cab you can get in Europe, and probably beats a few more expensive cabs (like a modern Marshall 4x12, IMO) in sound quality.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So I pulled the trigger on the Soldano today! Apparently since it's a '93 it was built on the same line and with the same components as the SLO! I can't express how excited I am!

Will be ordering the framus cab tomorrow, hope this amp will workout ok with the V30's in it.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Quote by Revrend.
So I pulled the trigger on the Soldano today! Apparently since it's a '93 it was built on the same line and with the same components as the SLO! I can't express how excited I am!

Will be ordering the framus cab tomorrow, hope this amp will workout ok with the V30's in it.

Should be fine, congrats on the purchase
WTLTL 2011
congrats. I haven't tried the framus cab, but i hear it's good for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?