Hey guys.

Now, I realise that this may be in the wrong forum, but I figured the only other place to go other than here was The Pit. No way.

Anyway, I recently took GCSE music. For those who don't know, when you get to a certain year/grade (or whatever) in school, you basically choose some subjects to continue with, and some subjects to drop. I chose music. (Mainly for the fact that there was nothing else, and I play guitar).

Here's the problem. I have to do a solo performance soon, and I have no idea what to play. Most other people play trumpet or trombone (or something like that), and they'll probably just play some classical piece. I'm into rock, not classical .

Basically, what I'm asking from you guys is a reccomendation of a song to play. I've narrowed it down to a handful of songs for you to decide. If you choose none of them, please suggest me a song that would be good for me to play.

Choice one: (I'd probably mess up on the solo, so keep that in mind) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ton0a230_s

Choice two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzl6ZQpSOo&feature=related

Or maybe this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-2yldyiFEw

Thanks for your help (if you help).
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

I got an A in GCSE music.

I played Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

But my composition ****ing ROCKS so that probably boosted it.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I did a music GCSE last year, and I was too busy pissing around to pick a song to do for my solo performance. I was told I had two weeks to learn a piece perfectly, and for some reason I chose Master of Puppets.

At any rate, you'll want to do a song to your ability, but - and I must stress this - you have to play it accurately. Get as close to the sheet music as possible and you'll get a good mark. Try to pick something with a guitar solo, so you can show off both rhythm and lead capabilities.

Good luck!
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (1996, vintage white)
ESP Ltd EC-50 (2006, black)
If you play a medium difficulty piece perfectly, you will score higher marks than playing a ****ing epic piece at a mediocre level.

I basically did **** all, barely worked, arsed about on my 2 compositions, both of which were rock/metal songs without vocals, 1 of which was written by my band (lawl win), did wank performances and I got an A* overall. Just make sure you do well in the exam!

Edit: and don't get your hopes up to do A Level music if you aren't trained in Theory and Instrument up to grade 5/4 respectively. GCSE grade means nothing to A Levels. I learned that the hard way
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Last edited by Adam144 at Sep 23, 2009,
Unless the rules have changed since I took it (My course finished last May so I doubt it) you only need to play a Grade 4 piece to get the highest possible marks (Well, you have to play it well as well, but I'd think that's a given), in other words don't sweat it too badly.
Quote by Nietsche
Unless the rules have changed since I took it (My course finished last May so I doubt it) you only need to play a Grade 4 piece to get the highest possible marks (Well, you have to play it well as well, but I'd think that's a given), in other words don't sweat it too badly.

Yeah.. that's what my music teacher said about the grade thing, but the problem is, I don't even know what grade I'm at, and I don't know what grade those songs are. Do you have any idea?
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

Quote by OverCrown
I did a music GCSE last year, and I was too busy pissing around to pick a song to do for my solo performance. I was told I had two weeks to learn a piece perfectly, and for some reason I chose Master of Puppets.

At any rate, you'll want to do a song to your ability, but - and I must stress this - you have to play it accurately. Get as close to the sheet music as possible and you'll get a good mark. Try to pick something with a guitar solo, so you can show off both rhythm and lead capabilities.

Good luck!

Well the first of my suggestions has a solo, and the second has a lead chorus riff which sounds hard, but yeah. Also, when you perform, did you use a backing track of some kind?
Quote by firestarter12

Quote by Obder
Well the first of my suggestions has a solo, and the second has a lead chorus riff which sounds hard, but yeah. Also, when you perform, did you use a backing track of some kind?

I don't know if it's "officially" allowed, but my teacher let me have my MP3 player on to play along with. You don't get a backing track on your actual recording.
Quote by Adam144
I don't know if it's "officially" allowed, but my teacher let me have my MP3 player on to play along with. You don't get a backing track on your actual recording.

Oh OK. Recording? There's a recording? =/ i didn't know about this.. what happens then?
Quote by firestarter12

Quote by Obder
Oh OK. Recording? There's a recording? =/ i didn't know about this.. what happens then?

It depends. If it's for your real, marked GCSE grade work, then it needs to be recorded and sent to the exam board.

If it's a practise / "mock", then it MAY be recorded, but most likely your teacher will just mark it on the spot
Little Wing,
Always With Me, Always With You.

I did these for AS level, if thats any indication for ideas.
The simplest way to grade yourself is to pick up the grade 4 rock school book. They're also not very hard at all, so by playing a grade 4 piece very accurately you should be able to get a good grade. If the pieces are too easy just pick a higher grade.
you should ask your head of music which exam board he uses then go to their website and read the syllabus

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse09/music/Pages/default.aspx

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/mus.php

theres one other board , who's name escapes me , but read up on those the links above
It really doesn't matter playing a rock song. I got an A last academic year for my Music GCSE (1 mark from A*) and I played The Trooper and Sweet Child o Mine.

Quote by Adam144

I played mine with a backing track.

FFS, I recorded my solo performance at home and gave proof it was me.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
I'm going out in a minute so can't listen to the songs, but I'm doing GCSE music, and I just chose Hells Bells, but choose anything you want so long as it has got plenty of dynamics in it, chords and a solo.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom