ok so i play guitar for a technical death metal band (sort of a cross between necrophagist and whitechapel) and i've been tuning my guitar down to drop A#, but i dont like the string feel, and the solos are so undefined... would it make more sense to buy a seven string guitar, or just keep doing what i'm doing?
*note, i am very poor so i don't know if i'll be able to afford a seven string...does anyone have any suggestions for one under 700$?*
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Would you want a fixed bridge or a tremolo?

doesnt matter...prefferably with trem
it'd make sense to buy a 7 string if you want more definition in notes. but if you use a thick gauged string, you wouldn't need it. what gauge strings are you using on your 6?

7 suggestions: used Schecter 7's (blackjack, Blackjack ATX, Hellraiser), used Ibanez's (model names are confusing), Agile 7's. All should be able to be found in an FR version
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
if you want to get a 7 string cause i'd get it. most 7 string models are supringly cheaper than strings and run for just under $300.
Quote by randomhero93
it'd make sense to buy a 7 string if you want more definition in notes. but if you use a thick gauged string, you wouldn't need it. what gauge strings are you using on your 6?

im using medium gage stock strings
drop what your tuning to you should be using heavier..........
Quote by britishsligean
schecter or agile is what you are after

+1

Or look into a baritone guitar by either of these companies too...they will help your string tension problem
If you get a 7 string you'll have to play in drop A instead of A# I'm pretty sure. If you get a 7 string the schecters are good, but rusty cooley has a beautiful 7 string with Dean that plays amazingly and the John Petrucci sig with Ernie Ball MusicMan is equally amazing
Quote by justinbob33
If you get a 7 string you'll have to play in drop A instead of A# I'm pretty sure. If you get a 7 string the schecters are good, but rusty cooley has a beautiful 7 string with Dean that plays amazingly and the John Petrucci sig with Ernie Ball MusicMan is equally amazing

the guy said he has like $700, how is he gonna afford an $1800 dean or a $2000+ Music Man??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by justinbob33

You could just as easily play it in A#
Quote by random-emo-kill
im using medium gage stock strings

yeah, you'll want gauge 12 or 13 strings. those stock strings are probably only 9's or 10's
Quote by justinbob33

you can just tune strings 1-6 up a half step and tune the seventh down a half step and there you go, Drop A#.
and those are about $1000 out of his price range.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Sep 23, 2009,