It's my birthday soon, and my parents have asked me what I want.

I'm pretty sure that's what I want, one of those two things.

I could have the Mexican fat strat (in sunburst) which is my dream guitar, or I could have a Peavey Windsor head and Peavey 4x12 cab.

This gear would be a definite upgrade from my 10 watt practice amp and Yamaha Pacifica.

I know the amp is more important to the tone, but I think it would easier to buy the strat, as it can be delivered, and we don't have to pick up a second hand amp from somewhere in the country.

I don't know, which do you think I should go for? I definitely would need an amp for playing live at local competitions, I'm getting into that kind of thing.

If I bought the guitar, I could also probably buy a Line 6 spider or something like that, but they're solid state, so not that great, maybe I could get a cheap Vox tube amp. But again I'd want something loud enough to play live - what wattage would you suggest for gigging at minimum?

If I got the amp, I could probably use other money to buy a HSS strat body, and then slowly start buying the components for it as I can afford them, but I've never built a guitar before, and I'm afraid it might be crap, or I won't be able to do build some if it.

Please give me your opinions and your reasons, thanks
Quote by Eurozeppelin
what wattage would you suggest for gigging at minimum

at least 60, but you probably don't need more than 100. also check craigslist. if your patient, you can find a marshall tube stack for 350
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Hmm - ok...well I've been considering the Line 6 Spider III Range, they're solid state, but I don't know much. I need some personal opinions from people have experienced them. I think if I went for the Mexican Fat strat I could buy a second hand Spider 75 watt combo, is that any good, or are they really bad?

Even if they're not the best, so long as they're satisfactory for gigging, I'll be fine with it for ages. And I can't see myself needing another guitar after the fat strat, except maybe an Epiphone les paul or something, so...

Thanks for your views, and please tell me what you think I should go for
Please don't get the spider. Honest.

Now, what kind of stuff do you play? We need to know this because otherwise we can't really suggest any amps. Also, don't worry about getting an amp with a huge wattage because you will most probably be hooked up to a PA system anyway. What is your price range all together?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
^^^ that! tell your price range and also what you play

hmm as for the Peavey Windsor itself, they are pretty nice . (specially for the price) they are tube and have really nice distortions.. good for hard/heavy. It can do some cleans too, but note that it is a one channel amp, meaning that you cant just jump from Dirt to Clean with a tap of your foot... I was going to buy the Windsor but im now looking for a valve king as i use Cleans pretty a lot
Quote by distortion896
at least 60, but you probably don't need more than 100. also check craigslist. if your patient, you can find a marshall tube stack for 350

What?!

15w is generally sufficient [well, for tube amps it can get the job done], especially for smaller venues.

Buy a better amp. The Pacifica is actually a pretty solid guitar and will do you fine until you save up for more money.

I would say get the Windsor, but it may be too loud for what you want.
Maybe check out the Laney VC30. Giggable, nice tone, should be good enough for what you want [and you can buy an overdrive pedal if you want more].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Buy tube.

Fender Blues Junior or similar small amp for practice and gigging (You can plug into the PA.)

Don't knock pacificas man, they are very good guitars. Total Guitar magazine record a lot of their stuff with one. It should serve neatly under a tube amp with appropriate pedals.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I'd go for the guitar then try to get an amp second hand off craigslist later on. You have to consider which is more practical? That amp isn't at all practical, most of the time you're still going to be playing through your crappy practice amp because the new one is too loud. I'd go with the guitar and worry about the amp later. Craigslist has great deals on amps anyways, and i'd rather get a second hand amp than a second hand guitar. there are a lot of people who bought way better amps than they'd ever need and never got into guitar so they're practically giving the **** away. Not so much with guitars. if some complete idiot owned it, it's probably not in the best condition at this point. it's hard to wreck your amp without doing some actual physical damage.
Ok, thanks for all your replies. Kurdtstayley, those are some really good points. It IS harder to damage an amp, and it's so common to find guitars chipped or broken in some way.

I dunno though, that's really pushing me towards going for the fat strat. But it is a fair point, and by the way I'm not knocking the Pacifica (I love it! But all of the kids at my school who like punk just call it the "supermarket value" guitar whenever they see the poor thing!)

That brings me on to the next thing. You wanted to know what I play? Over 75% percent of the stuff I play is Led Zeppelin covers, but my favourites are Deep Purple, Cream, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen, through to AC DC and Guns N Roses. I love most hard rock from the 60's through to the 70's. I'm definitely a classic rock man! And when I get round to playing locally, it'll probably be in a tribute to these bands. So I need a Zeppelin tone, but I think the fat strat gives me the versatality for the others there.

I've kind of rambled on a bit here, anyway, to summarise, I want a Zeppelin tone as close to the real thing as I can, (though still played on a fat strat) also bearing in mind that it could be easier to get gear suitable to start playing live soon, as that's kind of the direction I'm heading in.)

thanks!
Go for the amp first, you can have Led Zeppelin's guitar and a different amp and you wouldn't get a tone ANYTHING like him. Most tone's from the amp. And those kids aren't really 'Punk' if they bash a 'supermarket value' guitar, Real ones don't give a damn about that stuff.
Yeah the amp will effect your tone a lot more. I have three guitars, two of which are real cheap. i have a cheap practice amp, all three guitars through it sound cheap. On the amp i just got, even the cheap Squire Strat has a very nice rich full tone.
So in some ways i would advise to go for the amp. But from the standpoint of getting quality second hand gear at a good price, it's much easier to find an amp than a guitar. I'd rather buy a new guitar and then get a vintage amp secondhand, that's just me though.
And as someone was saying guitars are a bit over rated. the amp controls your sound more than anything, cheap guitars are getting better and better. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a Squire and a real Strat if they were hearing both through good amps.
The big thing with cheap guitars for me is the playability and factory set up. Just because the company has low standard for quality control doesn't mean every guitar barely makes those standards. I guarantee you that you can find a Squire that is better made than a MIM, Jap, or American strat. The great majority of them won't be, but somewhere in all those factories in Southeast Asia there is a kid who is better at making guitars than any of the fat overpaid Americans who make the "authentic" strats.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Sep 23, 2009,
for what your going to be doing and the logistics of using a half stack i reccommend getting a tube combo or a mini stack like a marshall haze.

they`re more than loud enough and easier to store and transport,
Yeah Marshall ministacks are like the perfect mix of practicality and playability. They have great tone and are loud enough to play small gigs, but they can also play soft enough for home practice and ****. I got my first Marshall amp a week ago and I think they might have earned my loyalty.
I would say go for a amp first, it'll make the most difference. I'm not really good with Zepp tone but I'm sure you could get it with a marshall amp. Try the Haze series, also look at he Fender Blues Junior, nice little amp. Anyway those Punk kids ain't punks at all if they are bashing knock offs, playing a cheap ass pawn shop specials like old Danoelectros is punk.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Well, ultimately it's your decision. I say go for the amp first, because the guitar can come later. Amps are vital, and guitars can sometimes be easy to come by. Or your current guitar, just get the same pups, if possible as the tone your looking for, which we still don't know. Just suggesting.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, thanks for all your replies. Kurdtstayley, those are some really good points. It IS harder to damage an amp, and it's so common to find guitars chipped or broken in some way.

I dunno though, that's really pushing me towards going for the fat strat. But it is a fair point, and by the way I'm not knocking the Pacifica (I love it! But all of the kids at my school who like punk just call it the "supermarket value" guitar whenever they see the poor thing!)

That brings me on to the next thing. You wanted to know what I play? Over 75% percent of the stuff I play is Led Zeppelin covers, but my favourites are Deep Purple, Cream, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen, through to AC DC and Guns N Roses. I love most hard rock from the 60's through to the 70's. I'm definitely a classic rock man! And when I get round to playing locally, it'll probably be in a tribute to these bands. So I need a Zeppelin tone, but I think the fat strat gives me the versatality for the others there.

I've kind of rambled on a bit here, anyway, to summarise, I want a Zeppelin tone as close to the real thing as I can, (though still played on a fat strat) also bearing in mind that it could be easier to get gear suitable to start playing live soon, as that's kind of the direction I'm heading in.)

thanks!

Ignore them. Pacificas are great starter guitars that are of great quality.
Get yourself a nice amp [NOT a Spider], and the pacifica will sound amazing.

DON'T make the mistake of upgrading a decent guitar to a good guitar when you'll be playing through a terrible amp.
Trust us, amp first, guitar later.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Thanks for all your replies! Please don't worry about the "punk" kids at my school, there's no way I'lll let any of them near my Pacifica.

Mini stacks? Hmm, well I can think of two that come well reccomended - the Marshall Haze 15 watt stack and the Blackstar HT-5 stack.

If I was going for one of those, which would you reccomend, and also, I think with other money, I would be able to get an amp for about £150, and still get the Mexican fat strat for my birthday, which means I could have both.

I'm been looking at a 50 watt or 100 watt vox valvetronix combo. Any good for what I want. (By the way, I reckon I could have one of those AND the fat strat for what I've got plus my birthday) Is that enough for wattage? Could you give me the maximum size of gig that those would be loud enough for, and for the mini stack?

Thanks,
1.Get some sort of bugera combo? I think they do a 22watter for quite cheap.
2.Get your pacifica set up really well, and maybe a new bridge humbucker.
3.???
4. Profit

First and last time I'm ever going to do that. I promise.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

2.Get your pacifica set up really well, and maybe a new bridge humbucker./QUOTE]
This...
The mim isnt much better than youre pacifica.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Thanks for all your replies! Please don't worry about the "punk" kids at my school, there's no way I'lll let any of them near my Pacifica.

Mini stacks? Hmm, well I can think of two that come well reccomended - the Marshall Haze 15 watt stack and the Blackstar HT-5 stack.

If I was going for one of those, which would you reccomend, and also, I think with other money, I would be able to get an amp for about £150, and still get the Mexican fat strat for my birthday, which means I could have both.

I'm been looking at a 50 watt or 100 watt vox valvetronix combo. Any good for what I want. (By the way, I reckon I could have one of those AND the fat strat for what I've got plus my birthday) Is that enough for wattage? Could you give me the maximum size of gig that those would be loud enough for, and for the mini stack?

Thanks,

If you can get the Fat Strat AND a Vox Valvetronix, then that's actually pretty good. If you can get the 50w version, it should be good for everything you intend on doing. Will sound very decent, and will last a year or two until you upgrade to a better gigging amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
TS why are you set on getting a hundred watt amps? from the description you gave at the top of this thread you don`t need it.
Don't worry! I'm not set on 100 watts. I admit I think half stacks look way cooler than combos, but to be honest, if you stick a small amp on a bigger amp, it looks like the same thing to people who don't know about amps.

Don't worry it doesen't bother me! I'm not entirely sure what to go for yet - I think maybe the Fat strat and the 50watt Vox valvetronix would probably be the best thing here.

Just to clarify, is the Vox Valvetronix good for the Zeppelin tone I'm going for, combined with a fat strat? Thanks!