I keep hearing about how awesome mesa boogie's sound, and so many of my favorite bands and players use them. I've tried dual recs, and i tried a stilleto for the first time last night.

Why do they sound so frickin fuzzy?? I played all of them at high volumes, and i messed around with each amp for about 45 minutes. Is it possible the heads i played were dud heads?? HELP
the amps are not for you
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I have never owned one, but i have played a few at guitar center's n stuff. I've spent a lot of time playing with the knobs and all that. The reason i mention high volume is because people have told me in the past that they sound better at louder volumes.
interference from cables, dud head, crappy muddy pickups.. could be anything
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Gain at 10? EQing to extremes?
That might be it.
Also, how high is high volume for you?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by ipunchcouches
I have never owned one, but i have played a few at guitar center's n stuff. I've spent a lot of time playing with the knobs and all that. The reason i mention high volume is because people have told me in the past that they sound better at louder volumes.

Just playing with the knobs will not suffice, you have to understand how they work and relate to one another. Also you have to relate that to what tubes your running. There are more switches and options on the back of the amp that must be set accordingly. Then take into acccount your playing it at GC so more then likely you are far from high volume.
IMO, the Rectos are just fizzier by nature than many other high gain amps. I like the sound of Rectos for some stuff, but they're really not articulate enough for me personally. I like to hear every little tiny scratch & squeak when I play, because it makes me play extremely cleanly to not sound like ass. If you're really set on a Recto, try turning the pre-amp gain to no more than halfway if you're cranking up the power stage. Don't dime the gain ever, as it will almost always sound like mud.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Rectos are notoriously hard to EQ correctly, so perhaps that was it. Ive had only good experiences with the Stiletto though
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet