Page 1 of 3
So I noticed on the front page of UG recently that the review 'eyecatcher' for Five Finger Death Punch reads as follows: "Nu metal isn’t a dead genre. Five Finger Death Punch are a decently successful band."

"Five Finger Death Punch are a band."

Is this correct at all?
I understand how they could be referring to the people in the band, replacing FFDP with "they" and it making sense. It just sounds wrong though. We say "Metallica is" "Blind Melon is" "Flight of the Conchords is"

I just don't get it.
I believe it's because of the five making it plural? Where as Metallica is singular and so Blind Melon? Just a guess though

I'm pretty sure it's right though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
American English: [something] is a band.
British English: [something] are a band.

Let's accept our differences and move on.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I'm almost certain thats the correct way.
Its the say if you same, Led Zeppelin were a band.
Utah's Token Black Guy
Just referring to the band name as a group of people rather than the band as a whole.
Quote by Karvid

is this true?
I would say it as 'is'.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Karvid

Are you sure? It just seems to me like the author of what TS is talking about is trying too hard to get collectives right.

I'd say it's "is" since 5FFD is being referred to as a single entity.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Ichikurosaki
I say are because i refer to bands as a group of people, rather than a collective object.

Exactly what I said.
if you say "are a band", you're referring to the band as a group of people. If you say "is a band", you're referring to the band as a whole. It's personal preference
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
Last edited by nodtomc at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by ikitson
is this true?

Yes, we who speak Americanese tend to see a group of anything as a singular entity. Metallica is a band, that team is great, my family is awesome, etc.

British people, however, tend to use the word "are" to signify that something has more than one part to it, such as Metallica are a band, that team are great, and my family are chavvy.

Or at least that's what I've noticed for the most part. It might be a little more complicated than that, though.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Sep 23, 2009,
Would it be.....

"Five Finger Death Punch" is a good band.

Five Finger Death Punch is a good band.

Five Finger Death Punch is a good band.

Amidoinitrite?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 23, 2009,
We use 'is' when we talk about things like he/she/it and use 'are' when we talk about you,they,we.

The band can be considered a we/they or a group so are is fine.

'Is' is also fine because the band's name could be considered a noun. I like Metallica where Metallica is the noun
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Karvid

This is complete BS.
Because a band is a singular it is "is a band", it makes no difference whether you're talking American English or British English.
Quote by Karvid
Yes, we who speak Americanese tend to see a group of anything as a singular entity. Metallica is a band, that team is great, my family is awesome, etc.

British people, however, tend to use the word "are" to signify that something has more than one part to it, such as Metallica are a band, that team are great, and my family are chavvy.

I'd still do it that way because it's referring to each individual, unless you mean the family acts as a group in the same way chavs act as a group (scary).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

I'd say it's "is" since 5FFD is being referred to as a single entity.

/thread
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
I consider bands to be collective entities, as someone said earlier. If you were referring to them as a group of people.

I would say "Between the Buried and Me is playing in Knoxville next week" but I would also say "They are playing with In Flames it's gonna be awesome," 'they' being a pronoun for BTBAM
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
So both is right depending on the context or mood of the speaker?

yep
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
So both is right depending on the context or mood of the speaker?

Not the mood, just whether the speaker is referring to a single group (singular entity) or several individuals (plural).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Karvid's right on the difference between American English and real English. You guys also say maths wrong, write shortened dates in the wrong order (MM/DD/YY) when it should be (DD/MM/YY), and you say them really weird as well ("October 24th" instead of October the 24th". And you all believe in Jebus and raising children by the bible, think you're all Irish, each one of you owns a small arsenal of guns, drinks crap beer, has a world series without the rest of the world, and have a weight problem.

And you all think free healthcare will turn you into communists

EDIT: On a serious note, as an Englishman I can safely say every says 'are' over here. And it's our language
Last edited by Matt-92 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by SteveHouse
Not the mood, just whether the speaker is referring to a single group (singular entity) or several individuals (plural).

That's retarded. The phrase "My family" is a single entity and requires a corresponding singular verb, the individuals would be "Those in my family" or "My family members" and would require "are"
Quote by SteveHouse

but when we talk about a group we have a choice and both are correct. Do we talk about a group of people? or do we talk about what the group's name represents.
In the Dutch language it would be 'Metallica is a band' and even 'The Beatles was a band'. When applying grammar you don't look at the content, so how many members are part of a group doesn't matter. What matters is that you're referring to one group.

This is logical to me so I apply this when I speak English, but English is another language of course with its own rules.

Question: Would you say 'That team are great' because of the multiple group members?
Last edited by frankv at Sep 23, 2009,
is if you are referring to the band
are if you are referring to the members

eg The band Five Finger Death Punch is awesome, but the members of FFDP are in need of some good haircuts and a shave.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by GaijinFoot
but when we talk about a group we have a choice and both are correct. Do we talk about a group of people? or do we talk about what the group's name represents.

Exactly. It makes for a very subtle difference in the meaning.
Quote by Jerry.thewise

That's retarded. The phrase "My family" is a single entity and requires a corresponding singular verb, the individuals would be "Those in my family" or "My family members" and would require "are"

If you wanted to stress their laziness, you would say "My family are all watching TV right now while I'm out here mowing in the heat."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Matt-92
Karvid's right on the difference between American English and real English. You guys also say maths wrong, write shortened dates in the wrong order (MM/DD/YY) when it should be (DD/MM/YY), and you say them really weird as well ("October 24th" instead of October the 24th". And you all believe in Jebus and the bible, think your all Irish, drink crap beer and have a weight problem

Thanks, you made me facepalm somebody who partially agreed with something I said.

Also, to the Brits here (completely out of interest), what I've never understood is the use of the word "are" when referring to a team. A team is a single entity, but I have never once heard anybody in England say, "the team is." It's always, "the team are awful" or "England are gonna lose."

Edit: ^I'd say, "My family is downstairs watching TV etc."
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Not /thread, we're still disagreeing

Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Karvid

Thanks, you made me facepalm somebody who partially agreed with something I said.

Also, to the Brits here (completely out of interest), what I've never understood is the use of the word "are" when referring to a team. A team is a single entity, but I have never once heard anybody in England say, "the team is." It's always, "the team are awful" or "England are gonna lose."

We have a tighter, individual connection on the count of we're not all immigrants with nothing in common.

Yet
Quote by SteveHouse

If you wanted to stress their laziness, you would say "My family are all watching TV right now while I'm out here mowing in the heat."

No, I wouldn't even use "my family" in that situation.

I dislike linguistic discrepancy.
Quote by Karvid

Don't worry the meant I wasn't serious. I had a great time when i went to the USA, really enjoyed it.

To answer your question that's just sort of 'the way it is' i suppose. The English language makes no sense, especially when spoken by the English
Quote by Matt-92
Don't worry the meant I wasn't serious. I had a great time when i went to the USA, really enjoyed it.

I'm really bad at interpreting sarcasm online
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Page 1 of 3