Hey, my guitar's in need of new strings and I've decided im gonna put on a set of .11 gauge ernie ball power slinkies and i need to know if i'll need to make any truss rod adjustments to accomodate my guitar to the new strings

My Futura still has the factory-stock strings on it and idk what gauge they are, or if Epiphone automatically puts on .9 or .10 gauge strings but either way would it need adjustment moving up to power slinkies

If i won't need to make any truss rod adjustments let me know if ill need to make any different adjustments or if i wont need to make any at all

thanks
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
you're not really going to know unless you put them on. there's no guaranteed adjustment on every guitar if you put a higher gauge string on.

don't be worried about hurting the guitar if you put higher gauge strings on. you can put them on, wait five minutes, then check the neck. if it looks like there's bowing (spelling?) then it needs an adjustment.

just google or youtube it, theres a ton of videos.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
is it the one with the FR? and epi's normally use 10's stock, but if I'm not mistakened, because of the extra frets, they extended the scale to 25.5 instead of the usual 24.75 (correct if i'm wrong) so they would use 9's. i dont think truss adjustment would be necessary.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
is it the one with the FR? and epi's normally use 10's stock, but if I'm not mistakened, because of the extra frets, they extended the scale to 25.5 instead of the usual 24.75 (correct if i'm wrong) so they would use 9's. i dont think truss adjustment would be necessary.

No, it's the ex with the tune o matic

and the futura's actually 24.75 inch scale not 25.5
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by wolfeman85
No, it's the ex with the tune o matic

and the futura's actually 24.75 inch scale not 25.5

i was thinkin of the FX, sorry.

and i cant find out if it's 24.75 or 25.5 even on the gibson homepage. i'll take your word that its 24.75, but its odd to see a 24 fret guitar in a 24.75 scale. most 24 fret guitars are in 25.5 scale.

anyways, it should still be fine.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i was thinkin of the FX, sorry.

and i cant find out if it's 24.75 or 25.5 even on the gibson homepage. i'll take your word that its 24.75, but its odd to see a 24 fret guitar in a 24.75 scale. most 24 fret guitars are in 25.5 scale.

anyways, it should still be fine.

yeah it is actually 24.75, it is a bit odd :P

and i take it 11 gauge strings will be able to handle extremely low tunings like b standard and the like and still sound good?
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by wolfeman85
yeah it is actually 24.75, it is a bit odd :P

and i take it 11 gauge strings will be able to handle extremely low tunings like b standard and the like and still sound good?

power slinkys, maybe not because of the thinner bottom strings, but if you use the Ernie Ball Beefy slinkies 11's, they'll handle B Standard pretty decently. you might want 12's though. just my opinions.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
power slinkys, maybe not because of the thinner bottom strings, but if you use the Ernie Ball Beefy slinkies 11's, they'll handle B Standard pretty decently. you might want 12's though. just my opinions.

and i shouldnt have any problems with 12's either?
Quote by Ikey

MY GEAR!

MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Changing from .10s to .11s on that guitar shouldn't be a problem. You'll need to re-intonate it but that'll be all.

Going from .10s to .12s is a bit more of a jump, you'd probably need to tighten the truss rod slightly (literally no more than 1/3 of a turn, and you should adjust the truss rod in 1/8th turn steps - remember, it's always better to go slow than fast with the truss rod). You will also need to re-intonate it and you will most likely have to raise the bridge very slightly, especially on the low E side.

Edit: For what it's worth, I use .09 strings in Drop C on 25.5" scale guitars and .10s for Drop C on 24.75 scale guitars often and to me they're fine. .11s should be fine for Drop B on a 24.75" scale guitar. I would certainly recommend you try the .11's first and then move to the .12s if the .11s don't work out well for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 23, 2009,