The amp is a ValveKing 2X12 combo, I traded it from a guy without trying it first and got it home not working. It has power and everything but when I got it 3 power tubes were glowing blue and the sound was no louder than headphone with the volume at max.

I just got new tubes for it and installed them about 10 minutes ago, I figured this would be the problem or at least a good thing to try. Nothing. Same thing as last time (no volume) but now I noticed a burning smell coming from the amp. It also has a crackling sound when you first turn it off standby. What should I do next? I'm heading out to buy a fuse just in case that may be another issue.

I also posted this in the VK thread so i hope it's ok to post this here as well, just didn't want the question lost in the sea of posts in there.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
maybe the speaker?
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
renound for its habit of turning off and never coming back on. alot of people have that problem i hear. if its not the fuse i dunno what to do. and you mentioned the burning smell, a guy recently had a similar thing and found out it was infact his cab, so check your speakers.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I can't take it back to the guy, I tried contacting him but he wanted me to drive 4-5 hours maybe longer to take it back where he lived, I had a feeling he would break what I traded to him before giving it back too so I just didn't bother, I figured it would be a good learning process to fix it myself and so far it has been.

I'll check the speakers but I don't think anything is wrong with them. I had to take one out to get to the pre amp tubes and had a look over it, seems ok and the wiring wasn't bad but I'll have another look and report back.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Sep 23, 2009,
fuse
tubes
speakers
loose connection

+more things

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Sounds like the speaker is not connected.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I changed the fuse and nothing different, the speakers are wired up properly and everything too. I also checked with another speaker so that's not it.

Is there any specific way I can test the pre amp tubes or will I just have to rotate them and see which one is dead?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Sep 23, 2009,
could be the power transformer is fried
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Sorry dude but you got a VK. They tend to be pretty unreliable. You should take it to a tech rather than playing home doctor.
+1 amp surgery is dangerous. my guess is its a power tranformer. and just cause you speakers are wired up does not mean they work! bring it to a tech and pay the price for your mistake.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.