Poll: Which amp is better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp is better?
Ashdown MAG
16 67%
Carvin SBR410
8 33%
Voters: 24.
Hi, my band is doing our first show soon, and its my first time playing bass on stage.
For the show i need a good amp for small and medium gigs. I'v narrowed it down to these two amps. Can you guys tell me which amp you think is better for me?
If it helps, i play Thrash/Hardcore/Metalcore/Etc. If you think a certain amp is better for, please tell why you think so.

Thanks in advance,
Noreee

P.S. Here are the links to the two amps

Ashdown MAG C410T-300 EVO II Bass Combo Amp
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

SBR410 600W 410 BASS HALF-STACK
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410

P.S.
If there's an amp you could recommend that's not one of these two, please tell also
Thanks
Last edited by Noreee at Sep 23, 2009,
Dude iv got the Ashdown mag300 amp but in head and cabinet, its so awesome. I also play same genres as you as well as others too and it sounds great for all of them, built in compressor is great if thats you thing, me likes :P Id advise you get the head and cab version over the combo version though, better for sure, more variety and more noise. Iv done small to medium gigs and its provided ample sound for me.

Cant speak for the carvin, no experience.
Anyone got opinions on this? I'm very interested in an opinion or caparison as well...I noticed the wattage for the carvin head increased when the ohms were divided by 2? isnt it supposed to go the other way?
I've heard that the ashdown has a very warm tone, and people prefer it for rock.

Carvin however, is very transparent, and I'd take that any day. I personally like a more clean, mid sound for metal, but that's just me. I don't really know what tone you want, and thus I voted for carvin.

Quote by ExurKun
I noticed the wattage for the carvin head increased when the ohms were divided by 2? isnt it supposed to go the other way?

The less impedance, the more power, roughly.

a head @ 8 ohms will run less power than a head running @ 4 ohms. Doesn't mean it will be louder guaranteed, though. If the 8 ohm cab were an 810, and the 4 hom cab was a 115, the 810 would be louder, because of the speaker size.

If, of course, I understood watt you were asking
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by reidy8
Dude iv got the Ashdown mag300 amp but in head and cabinet, its so awesome. I also play same genres as you as well as others too and it sounds great for all of them, built in compressor is great if thats you thing, me likes :P Id advise you get the head and cab version over the combo version though, better for sure, more variety and more noise. Iv done small to medium gigs and its provided ample sound for me.

Cant speak for the carvin, no experience.

Between this thread and the last one i made, you seem like someone who is actually more experienced more w/ this amp.
Thanks. il take a deeper look into the ashdown stack
I really like my Ashdown MAG 300 + 410T stack! I also advise you to look into the head + cabinet instead of the combo.
I assure you that you'll get the tone you're looking for out of that stack / combo.
Quote by Noreee
Between this thread and the last one i made, you seem like someone who is actually more experienced more w/ this amp.
Thanks. il take a deeper look into the ashdown stack

You wont regret getting one, superb amp. I'm running mine with the 4x10 cab and the 1x15 cab and i can get gret sounds out of it. Very versatile, and with my multieffects pedals amp modeling it can sound even better.
Never tried the Carvin.So i feel like i would be biased if i voted.But i can say from experience both are held in high regard round here.Also i have a little experience of Ashdown MAG's and they are really good amps i can say that for sure.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Their both great amps and could suit your style quite well. I voted carvin because its a separate head and cab, so If you ever want to upgrade you dont have to sell the whole thing. Also, your going to get 275 watts with the carvin and 307 with the ashdown, however, if you add another 8 ohm cab you can get 400 watts with the carvin. So I would go with the carvin for more power.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
My instinctive reaction is that you should at least go and try the Ashdown, and if you live close enough to Carvin, try their options as well. What works for one guy may not work for you.

However, I will say that I found the Ashdown ABM 600, in theory superior to the MAG head in the above combo, through an ABM 4x10 to have a very distinctive warm, bottom-heavy, tone that was quite difficult to dial out or away from. I believe that warm tone is signature across Ashdown products. So, since metal bassists favour a few different style of tones, I would only really recommend the Ashdown if you were after a bass-heavy tone, in the style of say Mike Kroeger from Nickelback (not metal, but you'll have heard his tone) or a classic rock tone.

If you're looking for a tone at the other end of the spectrum, especially one with a bright, treble-y tone, then I reckon it essential that you try the Ashdown before thinking about it, as I reckon that the Carvin would be much better suited for the purpose.

As a final aside, having a separate head/cab is a distinct plus.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"