my set up for recording guitar over another guitar track or a drum track is with the zoom h4. i plug my headphones into the h4 and listen to the track and play over it, but i can hear myself playing the new track with the headphones (through the h4 and in real life) and there is a delay of about 1/4 of a second that really messes my timing up. is there a way to turn this delay off or fix this problem some other way?
It's called latency and the problem is basically that the signal path is so long that your computer's soundcard can't process the signal fast enough (sort of anyway). If you're plugging your headphones straight into the H4 you might be able to use that as direct monitoring in which case you'd only need to mute the playback of the recording track in your DAW (since you'd get the sound of yourself playing through the H4). But that's a big might.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
to ebon00, i am plugging my headphones into the H4. there is no computer involved in my process at all, but there is still a noticeable delay.

and icedog41, how do u use no headphones? how do you hear the original track that you are recording over?
Quote by Mmmtastydean...
to ebon00, i am plugging my headphones into the H4. there is no computer involved in my process at all, but there is still a noticeable delay

My mistake, I must have been thinking about some other piece of hardware. Coincidentally the H4 can work as an audio interface in the way I talked about and then it does have direct monitoring. Can't see why you'd be getting latency in the situation you're in now though.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
thanks for responding ebon, but would you know how to mute the playback of the recording track but not mute what i am trying to record over?