In most cases I dislike using picks, but I've been trying to learn some Tool songs and I think a pick would help. My question is whether I should get medium or heavy gauge. Any suggstions would be appreciated.
Try a light too. Like a .50, I've been using those for 3 years now.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I use a Tortex Sharp 1.14mm and a Tortex .88mm mostly, the .88 is easier to speed pick with
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
I use a Tortex Sharp 1.14mm and a Tortex .88mm mostly, the .88 is easier to speed pick with

I use Tortex 1.14 as well.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
It feels weird for me to play with a guage more than 1mm... And I play metal and rock in general. Be careful it's not too light a pick you're using though, it's nice to have some resistance.
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by cal1

i agree on the .88's they seem to be my holy grail them and the tortex .50's are pretty good i use one especially on Green Day-Panic song as i feel i can hold it much better at the start with the .50 and it sounds more trebly to an extent.

But the bes thing to do is buy a load of random guages then try em all out playing a few riffs use em till you find one that fits and stick with it.But .88's bout the best its a perfect balance its not too heavy and not too light imo.(use it as a base mark :P)
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
For the few songs I play with a pick, I also use Dunlop .88. They work best for me.

But then again, you should try different gauges and find out what works best for you.
Never found anything better then the free, little red Guitar Center picks.

I maintain that they're simply imbued with magic.