I'm really getting fed up with tube amps. Over the last 4 years I've lost count of how many amps I've had fail on me for reasons other than the tubes. Are combo amps in general unreliable? Are head/cabs any more reliable?

I've been through

2 Mesa Lonestar Special Combos. one buzzed and fizzled like crazy, the other had massive fluctuations in volume.

1 Mesa Roadster, suffered both massive volume drops and feedback, tubes were changed to no effect

1 Peavey Classic, burns through a set of tubes in 1-3 months. Technically it's free to keep retubing it since they're guarenteed for3 months, but it's still a huge pain.

3 Hughes and Kettner Statesmans: One simply stopped working, one would occasionally completely lose power for no apparent reason, and I can't remember what went wrong with the other one.

The only amp thats not gone wrong on me is my Peavey JSX.

I've gigged with all of them, and they all saw daily use when I had them, but I didn't treat them poorly or bash them around or anything.

Bad luck, or simply the way of the tube combo?
I have only had 2 tube amps in the past 2 years, and neither of them have ever had any problems.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
maybe you're using them wrongly. some of those amps are old warhorses for other people. are you warming them up thoroughly on standby? turning the volume to zero before turning off? not moving them while the tubes are still hot and fragile?

i'm not trying to be condescending - i'm sure you know all this **** anyway, but it could be a simple thing like this.
hoo boy are we the revolution?
Quote by szekelymihai
you should've invested in something more reliable, like a Marshall
That's ridiculous, I'm sorry to be rude. Mesa and Peavey both have just as credible carrer as Marshall.
i haven't burned through a set of tubes within 3 months with my Peavey Classic. I'm thinking it's just bad luck with you.

maybe you're not taking care of them that well. do you leave them sitting in a filled bathtub or anything?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by superfrood2000
maybe you're using them wrongly. some of those amps are old warhorses for other people.

this.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by szekelymihai

...Anyway, I've never personally had a problem with any combo I've owned, besides trading a guy a Mesa Road King combo and then apparently the reverb "stopped working" and it was my fault somehow. Then he wanted me to fix it AND give him $300 for the amp I just did a straight trade with him for, that or just give him $550. People are stupid.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You been plugging all those amps into the same outlet at home? Could be a power supply issue.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
You been plugging all those amps into the same outlet at home? Could be a power supply issue.

+1

Do you travel on bumpy roads often? That could unseat power tubes if they aren't properly seated.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you could be using too much dirt and blowing out the tubes or like that guy said power supply issues. Also keep in mind that if your giging with them and playing them reallly loud they might not last as long. and yea mesa makes goood amps man. But these amps are literally like the best amps when it comes to durability so it must be something wrong.

szekelymihai marshall does not make good combos you do realize this right? their stacks are good but it really isnt fair to compare stacks to combos so think before you talk alright?
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by superfrood2000
maybe you're using them wrongly. some of those amps are old warhorses for other people. are you warming them up thoroughly on standby? turning the volume to zero before turning off? not moving them while the tubes are still hot and fragile?

i'm not trying to be condescending - i'm sure you know all this **** anyway, but it could be a simple thing like this.

Yeah that's the obvious first thought. But aside from the Peavey classic the issues I've had have never been resolved by changing the tubes.

Anyway, always plugged into through a surge protector, and I've moved my amps around to a few different outlets. They've been in all the same places the JSX has, and that thing has a few thousand hours logged into it and hasn't even needed a tube change.
sounds like a streak of bad luck. i've got 2 combos, an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb and i've never had a problem with either of them.
Well, it might still be worth having an electrician come and check out what your power is like. Other than that I can't see anything causing such a variety of failures in so many different amps. Maybe throw away your surge protector and try plugging straight into the wall or a normal power bar.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by icronic
1 Peavey Classic, burns through a set of tubes in 1-3 months. Technically it's free to keep retubing it since they're guarenteed for3 months, but it's still a huge pain.
Sounds like a bad bias.
That's crazy, and I would say it's just bad luck man - those amps you invested in are all quality pieces of kit I've tried and played multiple times.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by szekelymihai

Are you kidding? Modern Marshalls are crap, especially compared to Boogies and the like. For the price of the JVM, I was a bit surprised to see everything is PCB mounted, although in their defence it loked very solidly done.
Some of the issues you described do sound like tube issues. Fizzyness, volume fluctuations.

I've had recent issues with a marshall dsl, fender drri and a bugera 333 combos in the store. All went back to mfg.

Haven't had a problem with one peavey except the ss vypyrs fwiw.
I think it's just you dude. My 5150 combo has been going strong for the last 6 years with no problems at all. Though I do have to change my preamp tubes soon.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Hate to say it dude....but its just your bad luck man.....seriously...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.