I was thinking about upgrading my amp when i got money and i was wondering if the peavey valveking 212 100w combo would be a good investment. i play grunge/alternative mostly but i do play other styles eg blues.
Last edited by John "Nino" at Sep 23, 2009,
Don't need the 100 watts (this coming from a guy with a Marshall Jcm800 2203).

What will your budget be and what do you play?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
unless your giging theres no point in having a 100 watt amp. Honestly for a normal sized gigs 30 gigs is enough. The VOX AC30 and Fender DeVilles are really good amps that are tube (which yes, is better)
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
It would be a good investment if you went used and were willing to get the upgrades for the amp.

What genres do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i have got £350 and the amp is £429 so i was going to save up a bit more to get it. i play grunge/alternative mostly so i use quite a few pedals i usually have about 3 hooked up but i occasionally play other styles.
Quote by brownsfan456
Honestly for a normal sized gigs 30 gigs is enough.

Haha, lol'd

Also, what genres will you be playing?

EDIT: nvm....
60w is more than enough for most gigs unless you're playing stadiums. Anything more than that is headroom preference and tone preference. I've got a 150W Peavey that never goes up past 1 in my house on the Post Gain. It's just not useful to have that much power unless you're doing massive venues, and even then, most have front of the house mixing.

For grunge?

You've got options. Depending on if you want to use amp gain or go through the FX loop, do front end distortion - you could choose any number.

I'd say that Peavey is a good choice - the Valveking is definitely not a bad choice, but you could use less wattage.

You may wanna save up more and go for something like a JSX, which is pretty super versatile, or the XXX, which is billed as a metal/hard rock amp but does many styles very well. Going used is also a plus - I found my XXX 2x12 for $500 US flat.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Sep 23, 2009,
i might look into the 50w version then because the guitar shop by mine has that aswell
Quote by britishsligean
get something like a marshall dsl401

i second this motion!

my dsl 201 is AMAZING for grungey stuff, and crank up the gain on the clean channel and youve got a great blues sound
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by John
i might look into the 50w version then because the guitar shop by mine has that aswell

Good call. I love my XXX, but hate that I could only find one with so much unnecessary wattage. I'd much rather have the 50W version.

Beggars can't be choosers, though, and I got a good deal on it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MickAlmighty
i second this motion!

my dsl 201 is AMAZING for grungey stuff, and crank up the gain on the clean channel and youve got a great blues sound

ill have a look into one and see what i prefer. thanks for that.
hey, no probs.

i got a REAL good nirvana/pearl jam-esque tone out of mine.

sounds..... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...