Could someone explain the major differences from one Epiphone Les Paul model to the next?
I'm looking at their slightly higher end ones. Not the Special II or anything but like the Studio, Standard, Custom, and other various similar models in the 400-700 dollar price range.
Is the difference in the quality control? the pick ups? the body and fretboard materials? any information would be helpful. I have no experience with anything outside of Fender guitars but played a Les Paul at GC the other day and really want to buy one for that deep, rich tone.
theres not much difference. the customn has more binding and gold hardware. thats pretty much it. the studio has no binding.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quiality of the workmanship from the neck to the fretboard to the body. Better electronics and just more quality as you go up the line. I alsothink binding is on more expensive models. Just try em all out and see what fits u best
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
the standard comes with a maple top as opposed to mahogany like on a studio, also has trapezoid inlays. the custom has binding and alder on the body
It's all about feel
Quote by John5rules125
Quiality of the workmanship from the neck to the fretboard to the body. Better electronics and just more quality as you go up the line. I alsothink binding is on more expensive models. Just try em all out and see what fits u best

Price doesn't always equate to quality. I played multiple guitars of the same type (Jackson RR) at a guitar shop, and the lower end one, while it doesn't have the floyd rose or the high end pickups, had much less fret buzz and other factory defects than their high end ones. They even had a custom one that I played, and even though it was quite a pretty penny, it was not set up as well as the lower end one.
Quote by CFDragon
Price doesn't always equate to quality. I played multiple guitars of the same type (Jackson RR) at a guitar shop, and the lower end one, while it doesn't have the floyd rose or the high end pickups, had much less fret buzz and other factory defects than their high end ones. They even had a custom one that I played, and even though it was quite a pretty penny, it was not set up as well as the lower end one.

setup =/= guitar quality
basically, in my opinion it's just that the more expensive ones look better, have the binding and everything, maybe a bit better electronics. Some of them have flame tops, some just plain top. there's a lot of variation to the les pauls, doesn't really affect the sound too much, maybe except for the different wood types, just try them all out, see which fits you best.
thanks for the input. all i care about is the sound, so i'll probably just get a Studio or a Standard, perhaps a Custom if I can find a good deal on one.
the two big things for me are 1) tone and 2) low action.
Tone would depend on the guitar itself, so you have to try it out and see. Some are better than others even though they're the same model. Action can always be adjusted so, it doesn't matter much here.
Quote by KurdtStaley
thanks for the input. all i care about is the sound, so i'll probably just get a Studio or a Standard, perhaps a Custom if I can find a good deal on one.
the two big things for me are 1) tone and 2) low action.

Yeah if tone and a good setup are what you're looking for, don't bother with a custom. IMO, the studio actually looks pretty cool in itself. If you were playing in front of thousands and thousands of people, it might be a good choice to get the custom. If not, just go with the studio or standard
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Hey what about the LP-100?
significantly cheaper? or in the same class as the standard/studio?
It's a cheap bolt on neck. It's more for beginners, not really the kind you're looking for.
I'd go with the LP Standard. The gold plating on the Custom is very thin and will wear quickly.
Moving on.....