Okay people, I have an Epi G-400, or sg standard, and I've recently changed my strings. Well actually it was part of a store promotion, buy a set of strings and get a free set-up. The guitar was pretty new then, still had the stock strings, and I bought a set of d'addarios, the EXL 120 super light 9-42, thinking it'll be the same gauge as the stock strings, so no need for reslotting the nut or anything. Now the A string, when I pick it or pluck it with my finger, it buzzes a lot. Especially when its open string. I think it might be a problem with either the nut or the bridge saddles. So anyone know what's wrong?
if you bought a set of strings and they gave you a free "setup" then you should have no fret buzz

but you most likely need to adjust your truss rod IF AND ONLY IF your neck doesn't have a slight bend, it should be bent a bit, maybe adjust your bridge a bit OR USE THAT FREE SET UP?
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
well, epiphones and gibsons are normally stocked with 10-46 strings. so maybe it's the string rattling in the nut.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
the stock strings are 10-46? well i read somewhere they're usually 9-42. And also the set up comes right after you buy the strings, so i've used it already. I don't get the truss rod part though, adjust it if the neck doesn't have a slight bend or adjust it if it has a slight bend, or what?
well, they use 9's stock when it's a 25.5 scaled guitar(fender/other super strat shapes). they use 10's stock when it's a 24.75 scaled guitar (epiphone/gibson). the truss won't need to be adjusted at all, so dont worry about it. when you go back to the 10's, the most you'll need to worry about is action and possibly intonation, but those are some quick fixes.

(btw, the brands in parenthesis are just examples)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you string buzzes open but goes away when you fret a note it's most likely the nut that's the culprit.
Moving on.....