this really isn't the right place for this but I need some advice and I feel like I need to talk to someone now so anyway...
I want to major in music. I play the violin and the guitar, but I was planning on majoring in violin cause I have more experience there. My question is this: will I still have time to play the guitar? I really really want to, because really I like the guitar better. The violin is fine to me, but it's not as relaxing as the guitar, so I'd still like ample time for it. What do you guys think?
Just avoid bass and you can't really do wrong.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
Just avoid bass and you can't really do wrong.

why?
Quote by emily92
why?

Because it's cool to learn something useful

/bassdissing
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by parigod
Because it's cool to learn something useful

/bassdissing

Ok for actual advice - if you are serious about guitar major in that but only if you know you will progress at it and be dedicated to it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King

Ok for actual advice - if you are serious about guitar major in that but only if you know you will progress at it and be dedicated to it.

well the only thing is that I don't know hardly anything about guitar majors, aren't they either classical or jazz? I fingerpick, but I know nothing about classical guitar
Quote by guylee
Yes you will still have time for guitar. But majoring in music is very difficult work, don't take it too lightly.

I know; I've been preparing for ever and I've talked to all of my teachers about it. I feel like I would be really happy doing something like that in college
You'll have time for several instruments if you major in music. Actually, you won't have much of a choice.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
You'll have time for several instruments if you major in music. Actually, you won't have much of a choice.

do you major in it? what do you play? how much do you practice in a day? how much of your homework is music related?
I have been told by dozens of music majors that the degree is pretty useless after you graduate unless you want to teach. Sound engineering is the way to go.
Quote by BeefCakes
I have been told by dozens of music majors that the degree is pretty useless after you graduate unless you want to teach. Sound engineering is the way to go.

or if you get really super good and become a professional violinist. But apart from gen-ed, all you homework will be related. Music theory, class piano, the list goes on. I'm just too lazy to go to my folder and find it.
Quote by BeefCakes

actually teaching is what I want to do 100% I love music and I love children, only I kinda wanted to teach more privately, rather than in public schools.
Edit: Plus I think a lot of degrees are somewhat useless. My guitar teacher switched to music from psychology, because he would have had to do a lot more schooling to be able to practice
Last edited by emily92 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by emily92
do you major in it? what do you play? how much do you practice in a day? how much of your homework is music related?

No, but I'm involved some in my music department (marching band, strings class). One of my friends is a music ed major. If you do that, you will have to learn all the common band instruments. And most of her homework is music related because she does it wrong and takes almost no gen-eds, ever.

But plan on practicing your heart and soul out, never being as good as that asshole freshman, and making tons of friends (and enemies who drama). Good luck

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by emily92
actually teaching is what I want to do 100% I love music and I love children, only I kinda wanted to teach more privately, rather than in public schools.

You love music and children? Can you moonwalk too?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
then get a degree in music education. In which case you should definately stick with guitar, because as Steve said, you will need to be proficient with more than one instrument to get that kind of degree.

EDIT: hey steve, i'm that asshole freshman bahahaha
Quote by Venice King

I wish I could
Thanks for your help guys. This made me feel a lot better
Last edited by emily92 at Sep 23, 2009,
Originally Posted by Venice King

I admit, I loled!
Quote by guylee

EDIT: hey steve, i'm that asshole freshman bahahaha

You play bassoon? You can be whatever kind of asshole you want

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa