After playing standing up for half an hour or so, my shoulder starts to hurt. Will this not hurt as much over time or do I need one of those special padded bass straps? I bought a wide leather strap thinking it would help, but all it did was bring my bass up higher than I'm used to.
I've been wondering that as well because my shoulders get pretty sore too. But I just assumed its like putting any other sort of stress on your body. Maybe lifting weights would help?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I got used to the weight after awhile. I'm a 5'2" (used to metric, sorry!) chick, and I don't have any problems. A padded strap is recommended though, it certainly helps.
Shoulder issues are common with bass players, esp as you get older. Some advice:

1. Get a good padded wide strap.
2. Maintain good posture. Shoulders down, sternum up. Don't hunch (this will make your back and your mom happy)
3. Make sure you stretch out before and after you play. Roll your shoulders if you find yourself getting tight during playing.
4. Do light weight exercises. Concentrate on flexibility as well as building strength.
A nice wide, soft strap really help. I got a really wide suede one and its eliminated almost all shoulder fatigue with my p-bass. Its not as adjustable as a regular strap and was a bit lower than I normally liked but well worth it. Of course, some basses are just plain heavy and padding might be necessary.
I'd recomend an elastic strap, they don't dig in to the shoulder as much as leather.
Posture is important too, let the bass sit around the mid-chest.
Don't bring the bass up too high though, as constriction would cause problems in the plucking hand later on.

I don't know what severity of pain we're talking here, but i'll assume it's mild discomfort?
I'm afraid it will never be 100% comfortable, it is a big lump of wood around your neck after all... it's just something you get used to.
Quote by DeadlySIN
I'd recomend an elastic strap, they don't dig in to the shoulder as much as leather.
Posture is important too, let the bass sit around the mid-chest.
Don't bring the bass up too high though, as constriction would cause problems in the plucking hand later on.

I don't know what severity of pain we're talking here, but i'll assume it's mild discomfort?
I'm afraid it will never be 100% comfortable, it is a big lump of wood around your neck after all... it's just something you get used to.

It's pretty mild discomfort.

How does this strap look?
It looks pretty padded and comfortable, It's definately alot better for you than a stiff leather strap.

If you use more than one bass i would still highly recomend trying an elastic.
There is a downside to some elastics though, and thats how they react to heavier instruments.
They can sometimes bite into your shoulder under lots of stress, so high quality is something to go for.
I think it's something you get used to over time too.
I use seatbelts for straps and I've never had a problem with shoulder pain but I guess I've got used to it.

It depends on the bass too. I have an old Vox which weighs a ton and that starts to hurt my shoulder after a couple of hours.

I'd recommend a padded strap which will help but you'll also get used to it over time and it'll become less of a problem and you may not need the padded strap.
Quote by Alex Vik
It's pretty mild discomfort.

How does this strap look?

I've been using one of these Carvin straps on my MIA Jazz for 14 years and it works very well. Mine is 4" wide at the widest point, has non-slip foam padding, and can be adjusted to a wide range of positions. Cheap, comfortable, and great for practice sessions. You might want a sexier strap for shows. Just remember to install strap locks.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Last edited by LowEndSlacker at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by LowEndSlacker
I've been using one of these Carvin straps on my MIA Jazz for 14 years and it works very well. Mine is 4" wide at the widest point, has non-slip foam padding, and can be adjusted to a wide range of positions. Cheap, comfortable, and great for practice sessions. You might want a sexier strap for shows. Just remember to install strap locks.

padded straps are the best and you reminded me i need to buy strap locks looks like thats how i will be usig my lunch hour at college lol.xD
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.