Hey everyone,

I am looking for an overdrive pedal that will allow me to play metal without having to buy a new amp. As much as I love my Peavey Classic, its distortion just doesn't cut it for heavier music. Cost is not really an issue, but I'd prefer to keep it under $200 (however, if there is an overdrive pedal that you absolutely swear by then I'd love to hear about it). I'm trying to stay away from distortion pedals because I've had a couple of bad experiences with them, and I'm trying to maintain the tone of my amp as much as possible. I'm looking for a smooth distortion for soloing and Opeth-style metal, as well as something that will let me get really heavy if the need arises.

I am planning on going to various guitar stores around my city to check out the pedals that people suggest, so feel free to give me any and all opinions.

Thanks buddies.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Bad Monkey is only $50 and it gets the job done, but with your budget you can get something better.
Fulltone OCD has lots of gain for an OD pedal, if that's what you're looking for.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

well, even though you might not want them, youre either going to have to get a new amp or a distortion pedal.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
maxon od-808 should do...
i have one, but i mostly use it for dirtying up my clean channel as my gain channel on my traynor is decent. but i have heard of many metal guitarists using it to push their amps into heavy-metal territory. it is about 150 Canadian $, give or take...good luck
Quote by Martindecorum
all overdrive pedals do is boost your sound

Okay, this is something else that I have wondered about. I've heard a few different things about OD pedals. People have told me that they simply boost the sound, and I've also heard that they can add some definitive bite to an already distorted tone. Which is correct? I know for a fact they can simply boost a clean tone because I've watched a few tutorial videos, however I didn't see any tutorials that went as in depth as I want.

I am willing to look at distortion pedals as well, and I know that the DigiTech Hardwire Metal pedal is pretty nice. The reason I am looking for a pedal to boost the Classic 30 is because I moved into a town home and I don't want to bother the hell out of my neighbors with my half stack. This is more for room playing only.

Thanks for the opinions that have already been posted fellas.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka

1) Okay, this is something else that I have wondered about. I've heard a few different things about OD pedals. People have told me that they simply boost the sound, and I've also heard that they can add some definitive bite to an already distorted tone. Which is correct? I know for a fact they can simply boost a clean tone because I've watched a few tutorial videos, however I didn't see any tutorials that went as in depth as I want.

2) I am willing to look at distortion pedals as well, and I know that the DigiTech Hardwire Metal pedal is pretty nice. The reason I am looking for a pedal to boost the Classic 30 is because I moved into a town home and I don't want to bother the hell out of my neighbors with my half stack. This is more for room playing only.

Thanks for the opinions that have already been posted fellas.

1) Overdrive pedals do have a clipping clipping circuit, wich means the signal gets distorted by the pedal, pedal saying an overdrive only boost your signal don't know what they are talking about, sure, they work well for that porpuse, but they do distort your signal.

2) Good distortion pedals for metal are:
- Radial tonebon hot britsih
- Blackstar distx
- Damage control Solid Metal
Well yes they do distort your signal but can't achieve the high gain sound what TS is after, so dont come in saying "people dont no what they are talking about" the distorted sound you achieve out of an OD pedal is more of a warm bluesy crunch
I can hit classic metal using a BH LG and a Fulltone OCD.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.