I'm a beginner on guitar i've had 3 months of experience and i finally want to do some shredding on the guitar, any good techniques for beginners? Songs?
miles of machines
andy mckee

Crack the skye amazing album of 2009

"No reason to get excited." The thief he kindly spoke, "There are many here among us, who feel that life is but a joke."

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Metropolis part 1 by Dream Theater. Some people on here might say that it's too hard, but it's one of the first solos I learned. Just take it slow. Other than that, play some Metallica. Really easy solos (generally speaking).
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
for shredding, i recomend practicing alternate, economy, sweep picking, and tapping. also, shredding i think isnt you can just start doing at beginner, speed comes over time. slow practice and metronome helps
You can't start shredding after 3 months. To say shred on the guitar implies precise technique and great control over your instrument.

As for songs, just find stuff that challenges you and takes a while to play properly, never stop challenging yourself on the guitar and be really dedicated. You'll progress really quickly if you're working well. Also, I recommend you get a teacher to point you in the right direction in terms of technique and all if you're wanting to learn to shred.

Start listening to some shred guitarists too, and don't rely on speed purely, remember to consider melody and entertaining your audience, not just yourself. Speed is something everyone can develop and the wow factor disappears really quickly if you use it too much. You can hear so many YouTube guitarists playing their songs on videos and ripping up the fretboard but lacking complete melody and just being plain boring.

IMO, you should start listening to some Cacophony, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan and Paul Gilbert.

Look into Guthrie Govan especially to listen to, he is very good at mixing shred and melody that fits the song, basically all of those guys I just listed are but Guthrie Govan is really something else with his improvisation skills.

A metronome is definitely a must, it does get boring but if you really want to start becoming more proficient at your instrument quickly, you will do it.
If you want to be able to shred, start focussing on accuracy. Speed is basically a byproduct of accuracy, economy of motion, and coordination between you picking and fretting hands. Play everything at a speed you can play it cleanly and accurately, and focus on getting your hands perfectly in synch, and you'll find you're playing fast and clean a lot sooner than if you try and just force your hands to go faster - that way is likely to end up with you just playing sloppily.

For beginner solos I'd start with something like Shook Me All Night (ACDC) - the whole song is fun to play even if you don't like ACDC, and should be a challenge but do-able at 3 months if you take it slow.
Quote by zhilla
If you want to be able to shred, start focussing on accuracy. Speed is basically a byproduct of accuracy, economy of motion, and coordination between you picking and fretting hands. Play everything at a speed you can play it cleanly and accurately, and focus on getting your hands perfectly in synch, and you'll find you're playing fast and clean a lot sooner than if you try and just force your hands to go faster - that way is likely to end up with you just playing sloppily.

For beginner solos I'd start with something like Shook Me All Night (ACDC) - the whole song is fun to play even if you don't like ACDC, and should be a challenge but do-able at 3 months if you take it slow.

This is too true. If you cannot play fast cleanly you cannot play fast. You're only as fast as the tempo at which you can play it perfectly. Work on slowing down and try to use a metronome and use as many different finger patterns as possible. Maybe choose one a week and get really comfortable with them. Also, position shifting is really important. Try to play all over the neck. This will require you to have some theory knowledge which is also a good thing!
"...finally want to do some shredding..." Dude! After three months? You do realize that it is a guitar you're learning to play, right?

Anyway, buy yourself a metronome and make it your friend. Then start doing alternate picking and finger independence exercises. Then do those for a couple of months and come back for more. But be patient with this. It takes time to develop. Look for a teacher or a better guitarist in your area for some guidance on little details on your playing to help you improve.

As for songs, play what you like listening to. As a 3 month old guitarist, id suggest focusing on the rhythm parts of songs for now to develop your timing mostly and not to get frustrated by trying to play impossible leads at this level.

You can check this out if you want: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184243

I got some useful responses on speed from other UGers.

Good luck.
yes i understand i sorta missaid stuff, what i was looking for is like good beginner guitar solos and techniques to do it, easy for me, i've already learned Smells Like Teen Spirit and Everlong.
Quote by XianXiuHong

IMO, you should start listening to some Cacophony, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan and Paul Gilbert.

/list of epic shredders that still remain bluesy and expressive
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09