Hey people
So, I've been trying to record some stuff w/o buying anything but it wasn't really working out and now I'm travelling in a few weeks (12 oct.) so I wish to take advantage and buy an audio interface there (Orlando). PS: you might not know but electronics are usually cheaper in USA.

So, I was doing my homework searching for some interfaces and then I discovered that my laptop has a FireWire port (4-pins, 1394a) so I'm considering buying Firewire interfaces. But then here comes the question: will I be able to use the interface (6-pin connector) on my laptop (4-pin connector)? I searched the internet but this time Saint-Google could not answer my question xP. If I only buy a firewire cable with one end 6-pinned and the other 4-pinned, will this work since the interface will not be using electrical source from firewire but from its power-cable?

About the interfaces themselves, after looking at many of them on Guitarcenter.com and eliminating those not right for me, I ended up with 2 M-Audio and one PreSonus:
-> M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R USB
-> M-Audio FastTrack Ultra USB
-> PreSonus FireStudio Project Firewire

What do you guys think of these? What other interfaces around $500 max (could be $600 if really worth it thought) would you guys recommend for recording mainly Metal, Rock (plus most rock variations, hard rock, punk rock) and such? About the software that might be needed for each (for recording/effects and such) don't worry, later I may go after any of these.

PS: I am recording, for now, only my guitar and vocals but next year I'm moving houses and I'm going to have a studio-like room so I'm willing to record a full band then.
PS2: Phone outputs are already pre-amplified right? so I can have a cable out of my multieffects pedal's phone output (1/4'') and then in Line-level-input on the interface?
PS3: What other stores may I check at Orlando?

phew... that's a lot of questions and "PS"s haha :P

Thank y'all for all info. you might give me
I wish everyone...
Love, Peace.... and f**ing ROCK N' ROLL, baby! :HEADBANG:

DanteRecording Channel <- CLICK IT!
if you're going to record a full band, you're going to need a firewire. firewire is faster than USB and it allows you to record multiple tracks, whereas if you use a USB interface, every track will be mixed into the interface and come out as a single stereo track. USB can be great too, but it's got its limitations. however, it's cheaper.
First the 4-6pin cable will do the trick

Second If you go with one of the 2 M-audio units it would be wise to get Pro Tools M Powered as your DAW recording software. If you go with the PreSonus it has better mic pres on it, but it is not compatible with pro tools so if that is a turnoff go with one of the others.

Onto the PS's

I am confused when you say Phone input are you refering to an RCA type Phono input or just a Standard 1/4 in input?
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
he means headphone out > line in
and no it wont work. if you get an interface with a DI (direct input, also called an instrument input) you can plug your guitar in directly and use multi effects in the computer that will sound a million times better than your multi effects pedal. I would suggest a mbox 2 mini or an mbox 2. they are $300 and $450 respectively but they are top of the line and they come with protools, amp modelling software, multi effects etc... recording a band as a multi track is a lot of work. it requires a lot of equipment, the room needs to be modified in most cases. 5 or more mics just on drums. you can run all the drum mics into a live mic mixer but you have to get the levels perfect cause it will all be mixed and recorded as a mono or stereo signal into the interface. to record multi track drums and multi track everything, you need 8 inputs at least. the m-audio would be cheaper up front but you still need protools M-powered. so its almost better to get a digi 003 rack plus. unless you want to record your whole band like a live show, you can mix it down live and record it in stereo through a mbox 2. all this isn't going to do you any good unless you know a few things about room acoustics, mic selection/placement, mixing, recording, protools. get help, at least for a day if your going to do a real studio recording. or I suggest spend $300 on an mbox mini and do it all one track at a time.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Darkflame
if you're going to record a full band, you're going to need a firewire. firewire is faster than USB and it allows you to record multiple tracks, whereas if you use a USB interface, every track will be mixed into the interface and come out as a single stereo track. USB can be great too, but it's got its limitations. however, it's cheaper.

dunno where you're getting your info, but you're misinformed. yes, firewire is faster than USB. but what's even more important is how powerful your computer is. you'll run into CPU usage issues a lot quicker than you will USB/firewire. also, firewire interfaces work basically the exact same way as USB, in that every thing you record will be processed and tracked into your DAW as separate tracks (mono or stereo). the only difference is the connection and speed.

the mbox line is great and gives you pro tools LE, but you're going to be limited with amount of simultaneous inputs. 2 is more than fine for guitars, vocals, etc., but you'll be hard-pressed to record a full drum kit using only 2 mics at a time. see if you can't search your local craigslist for a used digi 002 rack (or even an 001). those should be near your pricerange -- though you'll probably have to pay a bit extra to upgrade to pro tools 8. if you're on a mac, the presonus firepod/studio+logic 9 combo is also a great alternative

edit: also, this thread should be moved to r&r
Last edited by climhazzard at Sep 24, 2009,
woot, a lot of answers xP

I like answers... I will be searching everything you guys talked about to know a bit more but for now what I can say is, else than lots of thanks, ofc, about the phone thing I was thinking about.
I guess I expressed myself bad

Those interfaces I was looking at all had 2 instrument input (which means they are preamped, correct me if I'm wrong) but all the other 1/4" are line input, which, I believe, means that I must plug a already preamped signal into it. So I wondered if the phone outputs are already at line level so I could have one of the guitars on the multieffect pedal (using no effects) and use the phone output (1/4'') it has to send the signal to line-level input of the interface, leaving enough space for the other guitar and the bass. So, can I?

Also, I was looking at these interfaces cuz they have 8 input channels (2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 vocal, 4 mics for drumkit(read a guide here at UG about micing drumset with 4 mics)). So I could have a bass and a guitar on the preamped intrument input, another guitar on a line-input level (preamp it using another device such as the phone output idea), and all the other mics have preamps.

Once again, thanks very much for all the answers I'm posting here again when I check out the stuff you guys said about
hm, any other store else than GuitarCenter? I don't live in USA so I don't know =/
I wish everyone...

Last edited by Danilo#7 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Darkflame

Aren't USB2.0 faster than Firewire (not the 1394b). As I (thought) I knew, USB 2.0 has a speed of 480Mbps while Firewire 400 has 400Mbps... Only the new(?) 1394b firewire connections, 9-pins, have 800mbps bandwidth, and this is not an option for me since my computer doesnt support 1394b (It not only doesnt have a 800mbps firewire port but it is also Vista, which won't support it).

and, it is, yes possible to multi-track all 8 channels simustaneously through USB 2.0, that's what they say but correct me if I'm confusing/miss-interpretating what I read

Now out to check all the digi's and mbox's you guys said about
I wish everyone...

Last edited by Danilo#7 at Sep 24, 2009,
hm, mbox 2 and mbox 2 mini only have 2 inputs so I am not going for them since there are cheaper options with only 2 inputs and anyway I would want interfaces with 8 inputs minimum

about the digis; digi 003 seems great but hey 3 thousand $ is not quite near $500 hahaha, no way... I would love it but I can't...

digi 002 and 001 doesn't exist on GuitarCenter neither they appear on official website. As buying online would be last option (ebay has them for affordable prices) I have to disconsider these :'(...

Doesn't anyone wants to give me a (free) digi 003 for christmas??? I would really appreciate hahaha

any other suggestions? I will read further about FastTrack Ultra 8R, it seems just fit for me. PreSonus is also a good possibility. I eliminated the other M-Audio I said at beggining also, although its price is **** attracting at GuitarCenter's outlet.

Once again, thanks goes to all of you who helped and will still help
I wish everyone...