Is the Tascam DP-02FX/CD Recording Package a good package to buy for a full rock band to record on and if not what are your suggestions for a better package under $700 would be nice seeing as we are a low budget band.
Do you specifically want a hardware recorder? Because if you have a PC it'll be much cheaper to go the software route...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Well like what kind of software and whats the cost because I'm horrible with thinds that don't come with directions
Personally I find software much easier to use than hardware (unless the hardware has a massive screen that is). Reaper for $60, then an interface and some mics, can't advise you on the mics but I'm sure someone who has more experience can.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
what about the Zoom HD16CD Multi-Track Recording Studio is that any good???
Quote by MG Master
what about the Zoom HD16CD Multi-Track Recording Studio is that any good???

it looks like an alright unit, but as recommended before go the computer route. You dont need the highest quality computer to record. my comp is 5 yrs old and all i did was add 2 gigs of ram and it works fine. i need to know what you will be recording. how many mic inputs will you need?
we need enough inputs for seven drum mics and it looked like this recorder could hook up to the computer so would it work with a software for the computer in theroy...
shure makes a PG package that contains a bass drum mic, 2 condensers and 3 tom mics, plus microphone clips and cables for every mic, for around 500 bucks IIRC. add a recording interface and you'll be around 700$ if you get something like a behringher one. you can then use the tom mics to mic your guitar amps, and the condensers for acoustic guitars and vocals. stretch a nylon sock in front of the singer's mouth when you record on the condensers and it'll remove the pops and hisses. plug the bass directly in the input.
a very cheap interface will look like that
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236
but you'll get kind of a low quality. if you want good quality, you'll need at least USB or firewire plugging. if you use the above mentionned behringer interface, you'll need a 1/4 to 1/8 jack to plug to your soundcard. it won't sound bad, but it won't sound as good.
however, i did use that behringer interface a few times and it didn't sound too bad. i think i have a decent sound card though.
you then have 120 dollars left. note that there are other mic packs, but the Shure one shouldn't be too bad. with the 120 dollars, you can buy something like sony acid or reaper or a recording program. or you can buy an instrument mic, such as a shure pg57 or sm57 (the pg will be cheaper but will not sound as good). you can also keep it and save it. whether you buy or download a cracked version a program is your choice, but not my responsability :p
we already have drum mics and we just need recording equipment and a condenser mic we were looking at that mixer and a shure condenser mic