Guys, I want to learn how to play slap bass, I've watched a couple videos and in all those vids, the instructor goes" Lol, all you have to do is hit the string with your thumb and pop with your index fingah... Boomckikapowwowfunkalunk."

I've tried doing that.. for a while.. And all I ever get is POP. so tell me Bass players, what the hell am I doing wrong? Is it me, or is it the guitar, amp, or something else?

i know all about octaves from watching said videos, but other than that I haven't learned much
An argument is more than a series of contradictions.
honestly the exact same thing happened to me when i started playing bass. my advice is to just keep practicing and dont give up. youll get it eventually
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
i had the same problem, i practiced Slap/Pop(for about 6months) before i could start to do it, and i can only slap/pop on my jackson, on my thunderbird i can only slap and it doesn't sound nearly as well
Quote by bassist_E1337
i had the same problem, i practiced Slap/Pop(for about 6months) before i could start to do it, and i can only slap/pop on my jackson, on my thunderbird i can only slap and it doesn't sound nearly as well

Yeah, only some basses are suited for slap/pop. I tried it on a Rickenbacker 4003 and it was not cooperating well.
I play a Washburn XB400, suitable? or am I wasting my time?
An argument is more than a series of contradictions.
You can slap just about anything, but thats no guarantee itll sound decent. When I started I could pop but not slap without muting it. Then, one day, I could slap properly without too much hassle. My advice is to stop worrying about your gear and stick with it. It'll come eventually.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Just practice. I've been trying on and off for a year and I'm finally getting a little progress. I'm learning Higher Ground and going really slow until I can play it up to speed.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you can, talk to someone that can do it really well in person. They can help a ton.
i had the same problem, i just kept doing it over and over till one day... "oh ****, i did it!"
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Try to get the slap down first. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to pop, the slap usually takes time to get. Once you actually know how to slap, then you can try combining slappin and poppin
Make sure you don't have skullbuster strings. Those are pretty much impossible to slap with.
Watch someone who does know how to slap and pop really well. It's how I learned.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by ThinDizzy
Guys, I want to learn how to play slap bass, I've watched a couple videos and in all those vids, the instructor goes" Lol, all you have to do is hit the string with your thumb and pop with your index fingah... Boomckikapowwowfunkalunk."

I've tried doing that.. for a while.. And all I ever get is POP. so tell me Bass players, what the hell am I doing wrong? Is it me, or is it the guitar, amp, or something else?

i know all about octaves from watching said videos, but other than that I haven't learned much

But yeah, I'm no funkster, but try getting somebody to show you how to do it. I can't do it very well but it helped when somebody showed me. One of my music teachers at college is all about the funk, and that helped me.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

A pair of thin Gauge strings help's alot, does wonders for the sound aswell. What I do, is when ever I buy strings for the bass i use for slap, Is I get thin gauge strings and boil them for about 10 minutes before I put them on, once you do that it gives you the sound that you expect. For the technique, it really is a case of practise, I learnt from playing Emergency on Planet Earth by Jamiroquai over and over until I could play it perfectly double speed with the solo from the greatest hits version. There are also a few other techniques which are very easy to pick up once you got the slap and pop down, and they make it sound that much better, but it really is a case of practising though watching videos and watching the technique closely helps alot.
Every master was once a begginer.