I honestly know very little about bass amps, but i need something louder. My budget's about $400 and I'd prefer something that can get a sound like David Wm. Sims of The Jesus Lizard, or should i look into tube ? any help would be cool.
How loud is "something louder"?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
The Acoustic B200 might cut it at 200W, but at $400 or so you won't find much more than that. Generally, people around here recommend about 3x the wattage of your guitarists, or 200W in general.

Also, pretty much any combo amp you'll find will be solid state. The only one I can think of that has some tube components is some of the Ampeg BAs and a Trace Elliot 1215, but those are just hybrids. Most tubes for bass are heads, but those are generally above $1000.
Quote by seizureman
ive been told 2 answers to this but can i play bass out of a guitar amp ?
You can, but no matter what anyone tells you eventually the amp's speaker will die, it's only a matter of time. It should be fine for a short term basis, but it's a very bad idea to gig with a guitar amp.
oh okay thanks, and do round wounds really mess up a fretless' fretboard as badly as ive been told ?
For $400 are you lookin for a Combo, or just a Head?

I was able to Gig with an Ampeg BA115, but it'd only work at a very small bar or else if they use a line-out to hook it up to a mixer or some shiz.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by seizureman
oh okay thanks, and do round wounds really mess up a fretless' fretboard as badly as ive been told ?
It depends on a few things, generally what kind of wood is on the fretboard. If it's rosewood, they will over time, yes, but this can mostly be remedied by applying polyurethane to it. If it's a hard wood like maple or ebony it'll still happen, I think, but not as much. It's better to put polyurethane on the fretboard for fretless either way.
Gallien-Krueger, HANDS DOWN the most awesome SS amps out there, IMO
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by seizureman
oh umm preferably a combo, but i hear some of the sunn stuff is amazing

Sunn hasn't been around since 2002, and because they're rather good and discontinued, and therefore becoming rare, people are rather loathe to selling them on.
Quote by Phry
For $400 are you lookin for a Combo, or just a Head?

I was able to Gig with an Ampeg BA115, but it'd only work at a very small bar or else if they use a line-out to hook it up to a mixer or some shiz.
Yeah, at most gigs you should be going line-out into the PA.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea