I'm new here but would really appreciate your guy's input. Thanks.

Heading off to college next year and have been looking at what the best solution is for me to bring with me. Dont really believe i will be gigging too much but i was wondering what the best solution for in dorm practice would be. Have lately been looking at computer interfaces and software like the Line 6 pod studio series. Wondering if this is my best bet or if I could find a decent quiet amp for not a lot of money. Help.
If you want solid state, I'd recommend a Peavey Vypyr, like a 30 or 75watt (what I have, but its still louder than hell) for a dorm room. The 75w has recording software and such, but no amps below it have that feature.But W/o recording you still get very good quality sound.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Your best option is to WAIT and go off to school with no amp at all (or whatever large amp you have at home) then see what the hall policies are, how well your room mates would tolerate it, and how often you'd use it. Then reassess the situation from there. You'll probably be very surprised how much noise you can get away with. I know a guy with Orange, Mesa, and Marshall heads and two avatar 412s in his room. That he plays often.

If you need something tiny- Orange Micro Crush has it ALL.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Your best option is to WAIT and go off to school with no amp at all (or whatever large amp you have at home) then see what the hall policies are, how well your room mates would tolerate it, and how often you'd use it. Then reassess the situation from there. You'll probably be very surprised how much noise you can get away with. I know a guy with Orange, Mesa, and Marshall heads and two avatar 412s in his room. That he plays often.

If you need something tiny- Orange Micro Crush has it ALL.

^ I agree with Sid

I never liked the whole dorm thing, I made sure to get a condo with people who were tolerant of music when I went to college in Florida.
Quote by eatpie342
Dorm walls are pretty thin, so I haven't heard any completely quiet amps

This reminded me of how some people just play their guitar through their computer. You maintain plenty of quality but can be VERY quiet if you need to. This may be an option you could look into, but I have never done it myself.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
This reminded me of how some people just play their guitar through their computer. You maintain plenty of quality but can be VERY quiet if you need to. This may be an option you could look into, but I have never done it myself.

that is actually what i have really been looking at getting
Get a POD X3 or GT-10. It'll sound better than any practice amp and you can practice silently. You can use them for effects on your real rig too. If you do gig, plug it straight into the PA and it'll sound better than a cheap practice amp. Don't get an amp because if someone says it's annoying or too loud, they get priority. If you live with jerks, they can make it so you'll never get to play. And there's a lot of napping in the college life. Someone will always be sleeping or doing work, no matter what hour.
Quote by aschreiber2010
that is actually what i have really been looking at getting

Yeah the benefits are: you save a crap load of money, and you can still be able to play guitar while your figuring out what the restraints and limits are for amps in your college, so you can then use that to make a decision on what amp to get. Good luck with what you choose
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
the other thing you can do, is just get an amp with a headphones line out. that way, if your roommates are cool with it, you use the amp, otherwise you just use the headphones.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
For a little over $100 you could get the Traynor DG15R. It has 15watts, 10inch Celestion speaker, reverb and two channels. It's lite as a feather and has a headphone jack so you can play silently if needed.
Moving on.....
Quote by Invert-blu
If you want solid state, I'd recommend a Peavey Vypyr, like a 30 or 75watt (what I have, but its still louder than hell) for a dorm room. The 75w has recording software and such, but no amps below it have that feature.But W/o recording you still get very good quality sound.

I have the 30W and it can record, you just need a free software like Reaper and a 3.5 to 3.5mm lead.
I would recomend one for you going to college, they're relitivley cheap aswell.
I think your perfect solution for a small dorm room is a Roland Micro Cube, and some headphones. You can take it anywhere. It takes up hardly any space. Sounds ok. And it can run on batteries.
get a line 6 spider 15W and some headphones. do it! its what i'd do. or get a blackheart ht-5. anything you do, get some headphones just in case.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I wouldn't even get an amp, go with a multi-effect proccesor( Line 6 pod, Digitech RP, etc) and use some good headphones. Completely quiet and direct usb recording. If you really want an amp buy a ****ty 10watt and plug the multi fx into there. If none of that sounds appealing get a roland micro cube or whatever those vox modelers are called.