I have a piece of flammed maple and its 22" x 7.5" and 1" thick.

Is it possible to make a neck (or two) out of this wood? The neck i'd make would be jackson styled headstock but also with the same style of tilt back headstock, which would mean cutting it at an angle, but im wondering if the length would be enough to make a 25.5" scale would probably with about 22-24 frets.

It has a bit of a warp or bend to it (not a twist) but would this just be fixed by a little bit of planing/jointing and then making it into a neck and slowy adjusting the truss rod over a few days?

Can anyone offer some help on determining if this wood can be a usable neck.

Im trying to consider the angle and chunk of wood cutt of for the headstock and what not but i keep doubting the way im thinking about it.

But maybe I will be able to get at least 1 neck out of it and some extra flammed maple for something else... ukulele neck!!!..lol

Heres a picture of said wood:
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
you could probably pull a couple tops outta that I'd think, but I believe the grain's running the wrong way to be used as a neck.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful piece of wood!
------

Shwiggity.
yeah, grain is running the wrong way. sorry man.

plus i think its too thin for a neck anyway.

he's right though, would make some beautiful tops.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by deftonesordie
you could probably pull a couple tops outta that I'd think, but I believe the grain's running the wrong way to be used as a neck.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful piece of wood!

Ok, thanks, so I'm gonna be heading up to a wood store pretty soon, and which way should the grain be going? Do I want to see tight grain on the top going across the long way? Or do I wanna see minimal grain on the top but from the side tight grains going the long way?

(the stuff I got right now is about 2mm to 1 cm between grain sections seen from the top.)
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
you want the grain to be running parallel to sides of the neck, and actually looking at it again, the grain is going the right way, but its too thin i believe.
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
So just to verify the grain should run vertical for a neck?
Cause the grain pattern looking at it like it was a neck is like the 2nd neck in this picture.

which is more stable and suitable for necks, i think?

Also I think 1" is thick enough, then I'll put a 1/4 birdseye fretboard on and it should be thick enough. The stew macs blanks are 13/16" but are flatsawn, but I think mine is quartersawn, and its 1" thick so my guess is it will work, for being stable enough anyways.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quartersawn is more stable, but rock maples are pretty stable as is, plus you might lose some of the figuring if it was quartersawn.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
You may have some problems given that you want a 25.5" Scalelength on a 22" board. You may have to limit your headstock size to fit it together.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
You may have some problems given that you want a 25.5" Scalelength on a 22" board. You may have to limit your headstock size to fit it together.

Thats what I was mainly worried about. But right now I'm thinking since its a 7" wide I might cut it in half so that i have to 3.5" peices and cut a angled headstock and cut that same angle on the end of the neck piece and glue it on.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Meh. You could do it if you scarfed the headstock with two different sections of wood. You could probably push to get two necks out of that. Make them 3 pieces necks and your warping problem should be fixed, or even better, get a nice contrasting wood like black walnut or some cherry and make it a 5 piece neck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
It's definitely too short, you'd have to rip it in half and scarf the headstock from the other half.

And it looks like it might be close to quartersawn, but the grain is also kind of erratic. So is the figuring. That would scare me off from trying to make a one piece neck out of it.
Quote by Metalhead_28
It's definitely too short, you'd have to rip it in half and scarf the headstock from the other half.

And it looks like it might be close to quartersawn, but the grain is also kind of erratic. So is the figuring. That would scare me off from trying to make a one piece neck out of it.

K so then what problems can arise trying to make a neck out of an erratic grained peice of maple? Is it more prone to twisting and warping? or is it weaker and may snap?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Straight, consistent grain is ideal for strength and stability. Especially in a one piece neck.