Pretty simple question.. in your opinion, a body made of _____ wood gives the best tone.
There are a lot out there, and I think its easier to say which woods give the bad tones. But my guitar has mahogany, which is a good quality wood.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by stratman7
I like alder.

yeah alder is what most american strat's are made of right?
Cedar? maybe for acoustics but not electrics. Asking which wood gets the best tone is like asking which girls give the best bj's, brunettes, blondes or redheads? Its all personal preferences.
I suggest you go to Warmoth's website and check out their description on tone woods then find what you're looking for in tone.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Invert-blu
There are a lot out there, and I think its easier to say which woods give the bad tones. But my guitar has mahogany, which is a good quality wood.

Mahogany isn't a good quality wood. There's plenty of crap mahogany. Which brings me to my next point, there's no such thing as a good species of wood since there are excellent pieces and lackluster pieces for all types. Wood quality is an individual guitar matter. Species doesn't matter. The best quality agathis will sound better than the worst quality mahogany or alder. But if you have the best quality piece of every wood, it all comes down to preference.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Mahogany isn't a good quality wood. There's plenty of crap mahogany. Which brings me to my next point, there's no such thing as a good species of wood since there are excellent pieces and lackluster pieces for all types. Wood quality is an individual guitar matter. Species doesn't matter. The best quality agathis will sound better than the worst quality mahogany or alder. But if you have the best quality piece of every wood, it all comes down to preference.

This. It's stupid to debate the topic question.

Though, because they did not state what instrument I'm going to say this:

A very very very old violin made with a Mahogany and spruce with a flamed maple top. If you've ever heard a REALLY good violin, you'll know it's the most heavenly sound of any non electric stringed instrument (next to a Cello.)
Quote by JELIFISH19

This is a good explanation but one that is obvious to me since there is variance in all things, there will obviously be variance in woods.
I just meant in general what are some good body materials. And it wasn't supposed to be a debate, more preference. I believe that was stated in the question, that "I prefer ____ wood" not ____ wood is absolutely the best no matter what.
But i was more just wondering because I happen to have a Squire Vintage Modified Strat, and I was just playing on a MiM strat and i think the tone of mine was better so then i started to ask myself why and the only difference between the two are the pick ups and body material. I think mine has better pick ups which might make it hard to tell which body is producing better tone... unless i tried them unplugged (epiphany). but yeah... thanks for any input. Indian Ceder is the what the body of my guitar is made of... I wanted to learn more about this material as well.
Completely subjective. Some may like alder, wenge, mahogany, basswood, ebony, bubinga, maple, korina, koa, rosewood, etc.
I thing balsa wood sounds the best.

That way I can also use my guitars as secondary paper airplanes.
Quote by JELIFISH19

What a horribly asinine thing to say. Of course pieces of the same species will vary, but they'll have a tendency toward certain characteristics, hence certain woods being better suited for certain styles of music.

Also, just because there exist bad pieces of mahogany doesn't make it a poor quality wood. People have probably made some pretty terrible chocolate cakes, but does that mean that all chocolate cakes are bad?
Last edited by SlashYourFug at Sep 24, 2009,
I really want a cocobolo guitar. Not sure why, I've never even played one.
Quote by SlashYourFug
What a horribly asinine thing to say. Of course pieces of the same species will vary, but they'll have a tendency toward certain characteristics, hence certain woods being better suited for certain styles of music.

Also, just because there exist bad pieces of mahogany doesn't make it a poor quality wood. People have probably made some pretty terrible chocolate cakes, but does that mean that all chocolate cakes are bad?

I didn't say mahogany is a bad wood. I just said you can't say that it's a good quality wood or better than another type of wood because individual pieces vary greatly. The worst tone in the world could come from a mahogany guitar but that doesn't mean it's terrible. All woods are used in guitars that cost anywhere from $100 to $5000. The $100 guitar will probably sound bad, no matter what species it's made of. But the more expensive one with much higher quality wood will sound better. In a perfect world where every individual piece is awesome, it would come down to personal preference.
well i did some research and i guess i don't care too much. I'd just prefer a more dense material as it is typically warmer, and has greater sustain. now i just want to try guitars of all varieties.
Quote by KurdtStaley
Pretty simple question.. in your opinion, a body made of _____ wood gives the best tone.

Ah i love this question. To me when i first started playing i could'nt tell the difference but 4 years later i can and i love alder... with single coils canceling each other out and 24 inch scale. And no tremolo

My point is.

so many things affect sound and you will hear them if you go to guitar center and play. to me a sg sound like black sabbath. and mustang like nirvana.

the guitars i like are mostly fender but i like the sg sound but not the weight balance.

for me alder or basswood with single coils sounds the best. i like the High energy sound rather than the deep complex wirey sound of mohagany with humbuckers in the bridge. but its all preference, i said what i like, you will become accustomed to the sound of every type of wood and pickup configuration too,eventually.

Oh and your tastes will change probably
As has been mentioned, it really depends on your personal taste. I have a Big Apple Strat that's got an ash body. It sounds great. But ash is pretty heavy, so if you don't want an 8-10 pound guitar hanging on your shoulder, ash would be a bad choice. Swamp ash is lighter and has similar tonal qualities to ash, but it's a little darker sounding.
I have a couple of PRS guitars that are mahogany with maple tops. I personally prefer them. But they might be a little bright for your taste.
I'd suggest you check out Warmoth's website, they have a section that gives a good description of all the different woods.
There's my way and the wrong way.