So, I've been thinking lately as I haven't been doing anything with the first bass I bought (an Ibanez GSR100EX), maybe I could upgrade it. Is it worth it to do so? I was thinking of a new bridge, new pickup and maybe an additional pickup and preamp if it's possible. I would probably defret it too.

But first, I do want to fix the input jack on it, there isn't really a "click" or whatever when you slide the cable in, and it falls out on occasion. Is there any way to make it less loose?

I'll link to the pictures I have of it as they're pretty big...

main body picture
Closeup of the pickup
Bridge closeup
Maybe just get a new input jack? They're not too expensive at all. Personally I'd say leave the bridge, at least I've never had a problem with the stock Ibanez bridges. And defret it! I defretted my GSR, plays awesome.
An active preamp and new pickup will do much to make your bass sound kickarse. A new bridge will improve sustain, a better nut and tuners to make it hold tuning better.

At least thats what I'd do. It seems to have the pup in the musicman position, so it should be fine without adding another
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Quote by Brodie337
An active preamp and new pickup will do much to make your bass sound kickarse. A new bridge will improve sustain, a better nut and tuners to make it hold tuning better.

At least thats what I'd do. It seems to have the pup in the musicman position, so it should be fine without adding another
The tuners are actually quite good, IMO. They stayed reasonably in tune even after I hadn't touched it for a few months. Is it possible to put an additional pickup in, or is that too much work?
Quote by Steve08
The tuners are actually quite good, IMO. They stayed reasonably in tune even after I hadn't touched it for a few months. Is it possible to put an additional pickup in, or is that too much work?

How handy are you with a router? If you not very handy it is gunna be a pain in the ass. If you are handy then it shouldn'tbe too difficult.
Quote by Captain Insano
How handy are you with a router? If you not very handy it is gunna be a pain in the ass. If you are handy then it shouldn'tbe too difficult.

This
but if you want it to look nice, your probably going to have to refinish your bass if you route for a new pickup
Quote by Captain Insano
I've never actually done modifications to instruments before or woodworking, but my father has. I'll ask him later today.

Quote by Tostitos
but if you want it to look nice, your probably going to have to refinish your bass if you route for a new pickup
Refinish as in new paint?
I suppose you could route through the finish, but I wouldn't do it unless your super pro with a router. Refinishing entails sanding off the old finish, at least scratching the paint if not sanding it off, routing your cavity, repainting it, and putting a new clearcoat on it. The problem with routing through the finish is if there's tearout or you make a mistake (or the finish cracks), you'll end up having to sand it to fix it anyways.

Its a long process, but it'll make it look nice, and you can do a custom color/paintjob
I dont think its really worth the effort for routing another pickup, especially when the existing one is in the musicman position. Plenty of great basses have a single pickup, I think haing two pickups isnt nearly as important as its made out to be.
Quote by LordBishek
haha dude! you arent alone. a lot of people (including me) have upgraded their GSR's. deffinetly grab a new pickup and preamp. id say defret the neck and leave the bridge though (although i did some filing on the saddles to make them sit lower)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
id say defret the neck

yes! defretted GSR users unite!
Youll need new pots, but they sometimes come with the preamp, so check.

If you use a 2 band EQ and a single pup, you can avoid drilling in.to your bass, by using a stacked bass/treble knob, and a single volume.

I'm personally not a big fan of EMG, but thats just me. They (in my opinion) have a tendency of sounding a bit... "sterile". However, theres people out there who swear by them, so listen too s variety of basses with EMGs before you make your choice
Quote by LordBishek
So I'm definitely going to get a preamp and defret it, the preamp would probably be an Aguilar OBP-2 with the stacked pot. If I wanted to get the 3-band, would it be worth it to put new holes above the electronics cavity for the EQ? it'd be slightly awkward since the volume and tone knob are in the P bass position at the moment...

The EMG was just a thought as it was the only soapbar I could think of. But I basically want the clearest tone possible. It's a mahogany body with a 1 piece maple neck, if that helps.
If its a GSR im pretty sure its either basswood or agathis, but there are other options for soapbars other then EMG's. Try looking at Seymour Duncan and Bartolini as well. Check the spacing in the control cavity, it might be too tight a fit to shove all of that in there without routing the cavity any bigger
Quote by Tostitos
If its a GSR im pretty sure its either basswood or agathis, but there are other options for soapbars other then EMG's. Try looking at Seymour Duncan and Bartolini as well. Check the spacing in the control cavity, it might be too tight a fit to shove all of that in there without routing the cavity any bigger
Normally yeah but it's the "EX" (like SRX) line. What bugs me the most is that most soapbars seem to be 2 nails on one end and 1 nail on the other, whereas mine is one on either side. Does this impact putting the actual pickup in?

also, what do you think of Nordstrands? They seem to be the closest to what I want and have exposed poles, which I usually prefer...

http://www.bestbassgear.com/nordstrand-pickups.htm#nordstranddc

I'll put up a picture of the cavity later.
Nordstrands are good pickups, at least IMO. If you can put up a pic of the cavity and the pots that'd be good. You can make the pickup fit, but you might have to do some slight modification to your pickup cavity (a bit of drilling, possibly a tiny bit of routing), but it shouldn't be too bad.
just so you know. spending money on a "starter" bass is not practical. buying a better bass is almost always the best option. you can put "high-end" hardware on a cheap bass but, it will still play like a cheap bass. modding a cheap bass only prolongs your wait for a true pro-grade bass. i say (as i always do.), keep practicing, and save your money for a bass worth modding. just my 2 cents, keep the change.
But modding is a good experience. It's also probably safe to assume he has a higher quality bass already since he's defretting this one, and having a homemade fretless as your primary bass would just be, well, you get what I mean. Plus, mods are a nice and cost effective (except for pickups) to expand a basses usefulness.

EDIT: TS, did you ever decide if you were going to refinish it or not? (just curious )
Last edited by Tostitos at Sep 30, 2009,