For some reason I have a really hard time slapping with dead notes. No matter how hard I try I always ending up fretting the dead note which is super aggravating. It's just seemingly something I can't mentally force my hand to do right now. Any tips? I usually try to practice a song with slapped dead notes like aeroplane for 20 min a day for the past few weeks but I cannot hit the dead note once before I am subconsciously fretting the note.
Try fretting and releasing notes to a metronome for some time every day. Like, set it to 80 bpm and fret on the beat and release off the beat and then speed up gradually. Most people underestimate the work it takes to release a note.
Try quickly muting the dead note with your thumb instead of un-fretting it.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 24, 2009,
What pwrmax said, is a good technique to learn in the long run. But it can take a little while to get it fully controlled, so...
...in the meantime, use the outside of your picking hand as a mute. The bit between your little finger and wrist. It takes just a little pressure to sufficiently damp the strings to give you your dead notes. So once you've got both hands' damping effectively, you'll be right on top of it!
Quote by creepingjesus73
What pwrmax said, is a good technique to learn in the long run. But it can take a little while to get it fully controlled, so...
...in the meantime, use the outside of your picking hand as a mute. The bit between your little finger and wrist. It takes just a little pressure to sufficiently damp the strings to give you your dead notes. So once you've got both hands' damping effectively, you'll be right on top of it!

yes. right hand muting is the solution.