what guitar methods/techniques does matt bellamy use? his riffs/solos are just so different from what i usually hear
hes very inspired by tom morello. other than that, i cant say much other than hes very unorthodox player. very imaginative.

EDIT: He has quoted tom morello as one of his biggest influences as a player. just tho id add that so you know im not just blowing smoke out my ass.
Last edited by JohnnyChimpo241 at Sep 23, 2009,
he is very effects oriented much like tom morello but also some of his stuff has an almost classical feel to it.
Quote by JohnnyChimpo241
hes very inspired by tom morello. other than that, i cant say much other than hes very unorthodox player. very imaginative.

EDIT: He has quoted tom morello as one of his biggest influences as a player. just tho id add that so you know im not just blowing smoke out my ass.

That doesn't make you seem any less like someone making that up..
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by culkid
what scales does he use?

i dont listen to enough muse to tell you, but guessing due to the morello influence, pentatonic minor?
Quote by JohnnyChimpo241
i dont listen to enough muse to tell you, but guessing due to the morello influence, pentatonic minor?

no not really. his morello influence is more effects driven. actually muse rarely uses pentatonic minor. at least not in blatantly obviously ways like tom morello.
Last I checked, Matt played piano for a number of years, didn't he? I'm sure he incorporates a lot of pianoistic things to his playing. If he was trained in the classical manner, he might be adding classical style phrasing or rhythms to his solos/playing. Likewise, if he was trained in a jazz manner on piano, he might be using more jazz style soloing and rhythms/chords(possibly).
Tom Morello + Rachmaninov = Matt Bellamy

Techniquewise, it's things like tremolo picking in solos, drop D riffs, using effects like the arpeggiator on Map of the Problematique.
Quote by BlockFour
He works around arpeggios a lot . . . and yeah, lots of effects.

I noticed that too. A lot of his solos are really arpeggio based as well.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by blue_strat
Tom Morello + Rachmaninov = Matt Bellamy

this.

He has been quoted about Sergei Rachmaninov (i'm just too damn lazy to google it for you at the moment)
Yeah, I might be wrong, but on the Origin of Symmetry tour, didn't he actually play a Rachmaniov piece (on piano)? But yeah, in terms of their heavier stuff, I'd say he's got a strong Morello influence...but then again, check out the B-Side "Bedroom Acoustics"; It's unique to say the least, and also check out "Piano Thing"; Heavy classical influence.

But yeah, he likes to a lot of bends, tremelo picking, arpeggios, but I don't think he uses Pentatonic Minor much.....if I were to guess, I'd say Natural Minor scales (sometimes with blues notes?), sometimes Major scales, and occasionally the Harmonic Minor, which sounds really cool. And of course, you need to have an amount of effects that cost more than all of my gear and my car added together...
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
He has custom guitars with a Kaoss pad built in.
made by Manson, I think.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by AustinxAtomic
He has custom guitars with a Kaoss pad built in.
made by Manson, I think.

Yeah, it's more so just the screen and a few buttons sent via wireless MIDI to control a Kaoss pad on his pedalboard. But yes, he does have it. Usually in those guitars he has a fernandes sustainer too.

EDIT: And yes, they are manson.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
natural minor, and harmonic minor
But Bellamy doesn't care much about reading music and theory
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N

But Bellamy doesn't care much about reading music and theory

ive always thought of bellamy as theoretically advanced and technically un-advanced.

but saying that, i havent looked too hard into it...
I'm also getting into his playing

He's pretty good.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
The guitar is usually the last piece in any Muse composition, and this is an important factor.

He does like working with minor scales, check out the harmonic minor in Plug In Baby for example.

For solos and things it does tend to be bursts of speed. Look at Invincible or New Born for example. Tremelo picking is his thing, however, if you watch him live, he finds reasons to throw in very effective legato, tapping and similar techniques. He uses a lot of arpeggios, but he's not a shredder like most people are when doing that. He simply knows where to follow his notes to.

One thing that he isn't often credited for is his chord choices. Look at the chorus of Plug In Baby or Hyper Music, as well as the interesting choices of notes for the chorus section of lesser known songs. Usually they're there to accompany a strong bass riff, so they're not so strongly noticed.

Mostly, he seems to follow his voice in lead lines, and songs like Citizen Erased and Microcuts show this quite clearly.
i'm a big muse fan and I'm pretty sure I have a solid formula down for getting a song down which sounds like muse

play around with augmented 5th scales (major with the augmented 5th note in it)
on guitar have open chords arpeggiated or have a triad arpeggiated
bass lines are usually relatively melodic
drums are pretty straight forward, you can get away with a solid rock 4/4 beat.
vocal melodies are just a rock guy trying to sing operatic
guitar solos usually float around a combo of delay, light phase, pitch shifting and high distortion.

with that said, theres the obvious overuses of 2-3 octave arpeggiating synths, ratm inspired riffs with a lot of pedal tones, radiohead inspired lyrics and vocal melodies, romantic piano performances, distorted bass... etc
Last edited by Hadeed at Sep 26, 2009,
A lot of Matt's stuff revolves around triads and arpeggios. He's much more of an ear player, so trying to identify what scales he uses will be fruitless. Most chorus' and verses in the songs are created on piano and translated to guitar. He also hates guitar solos, and therefore any soloing he does tends to be relatively simple and short.

The main things to look for:
- Drop D, Morello style riffs. Especially in Muse's earlier stuff.
- Heavy use of pitch shifting effects.
- Arpeggios. Lots and lots of arpeggios
- Spanish, flamenco influence. Muscle Museum, Darkshines are good examples.