So I'm doing a clutch gig this sunday and at practice I had my Carvin X100B on full blast but could barely get over the drummer. I then switched to my buddies Marshall DSL and I got over without even being on 10. The Carvin is pretty old (20 years), while the DSL is a year or so old and gigged moderately. What's wrong with my Carvin?

EDIT: Also my singer was behind the Carvin and said the power tubes looked kinda dim, but he has not amp experience.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Sep 24, 2009,
How old are your power tubes?

Also, could be bad power to your amp.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
How old are your power tubes?

Also, could be bad power to your amp.

Don't know. The pre-amp tubes are new Tung-Sol tubes. But I bought the amp off Evil Bay not long ago and the add said new tubes but they easily could have been lying and probably were.

We thought is could have been the power to it, but the Bass was on the same circuit and had mad power.
They probably got new preamp tubes. I'd replace the power tubes, if that doesn't work, check the power, and if all else fails, I guess it's just the age difference.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Different companies rate their amps differently.
Maybe the speakers have different sensitivities.
Maybe the power tubes are worn out.
Maybe they're differently EQ'd, some amps naturally emphasis the parts of sound we hear more then others, and the settings could be different as well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Maybe they're differently EQ'd, some amps naturally emphasis the parts of sound we hear more then others, and the settings could be different as well.

I see where you are coming from. The speakers didn't change, same cab was used. Power tubes seem like the culprit here because I set the EQ's very similar but not exact due to the amps voicing, I got it where I like it.
I replaced preamp tubes in a customer's DSL awhile back, all fresh Tung Sol 12AX7s, and it was REALLY quiet (yes, preamp, not poweramp). I replaced one with a JJ 12AX7 and it came to life...something was wrong that allowed it to still function but cut the signal dramatically...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
I replaced preamp tubes in a customer's DSL awhile back, all fresh Tung Sol 12AX7s, and it was REALLY quiet (yes, preamp, not poweramp). I replaced one with a JJ 12AX7 and it came to life...something was wrong that allowed it to still function but cut the signal dramatically...

In that case it could be a preamp tube I guess then.
stabxyou's post summed up my questions pretty well

also, perhaps it could be from the voltage the tubes were biased at(hot vs cold bias?)

were you using the fx loop? are you sure everything was plugged in all the way?
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
no FX loop, everything was plugged in proper.

EDIT: clarification because I know I'm gonna get called on it: There is an FX loop on the Carvin, I was not using it. This is a gig with a set list that only requires wah, and IMHOP works better out of the loop, just between the axe and amp.
my Peavey had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty preamp tube, and they were only a month old
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
What speakers are in your cabinet and do the ohms match up and the wattage of your speakers. 100 watts should be able to blow away any drummer I dont care how loud they are. you should be able to drown him out on 5
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
is the fx send and fx return volume all the way up if there is one?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by halfstacked
What speakers are in your cabinet and do the ohms match up and the wattage of your speakers. 100 watts should be able to blow away any drummer I dont care how loud they are. you should be able to drown him out on 5

Yes, the Carvin X100B has a switch for this and it is at 8 ohms. The cab is rated for 8 Ohms. The Marshall got over reasonably at 5.5. The Carvin got over at 10.
Quote by mexican_shred
is the fx send and fx return volume all the way up if there is one?

There isn't one
Regardless I don't think it should be natural for a 100 watt amp to have to be turned to 10 to be heard over a drummer. About 5-6 should be plenty volume.
I'd get that checked out.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Regardless I don't think it should be natural for a 100 watt amp to have to be turned to 10 to be heard over a drummer. About 5-6 should be plenty volume.
I'd get that checked out.

Looks like I should. I used the same amp with another band a week ago and a guy with a 1x12 tube amp was louder than me. I guess I have to use the Marshall. This gig is on a balcony on the beach playing for a full island and I don't have time to get it looked at by then! That means I gotta learn a new amp within a sound check.... Murphy's law!
Is there any PA that you could mic your cabinet
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
There is a PA, however the band member that usually runs it (the drummer) isn't at this gig... (we got a replacement) and our sound check is about 10 minutes.... The easiest option is to use the Marshall, I can at least dial in tone within 10 minutes. I messaged my singer to see if I can at least mess with it before hand, he's in bed though so I'll find out tomorrow!
Quote by DLrocket89

the tungsols did the same thing for my marshall valvestate, it cut the volume ALOT, put a sovtek LPS and wow it came to life big time!!!
I got a solvtek lying around, I'll try it
For the record...and your hearing...tell your drummer to calm down....if your 100 watt tube amp is "barely on 10" and JUST above the volume of the drummer then you have a problem.....I completely drown out (cannot hear anymore at all) my drummer on 6/10. In fact...he starts to not be able to hear himself play at around 7/10.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Sep 24, 2009,
marshalls are naturally middy and cut through the mix and thus sound louder. i'm not sure about your amp because i have never played one but this could be the reason. as much as i love the sound of my big muff, the mid scoop makes it so hard to hear over bass and drums.
Your using the same cab for both amps so its not an issue of speaker efficiency. What tubes are in the carvin, it can use EL34s 6l6 or 5881s? May be the OT is making it seem louder. I know swapping the stock OT out in my epi vjr made a big difference in how loud it is. Its still the same power tube and amp but a hammond OT is louder.
Couldn't old capacitors that are no longer holding the charge be to blame? I don't know if that is correct but I think it was the case with my Bassman. It was very quiet before I recapped.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
some amps are rated on the clean channel then when you add gain it makes it louder, while other amps are rated on the total power, not that this should be a problem for a 100w amp to get over a drummer though
The other thing is that all amps have different character. My 100 watt Bassman is a whole hell of a lot quieter than the Peavey Windsor 100 watt I used to have, just because of how it fills out the frequencies. The Bassman is much more scooped and mids are often what people consider 'loud,' so having less mids makes you seem 'quieter.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by STABxYOU

This.

But, usually some amps are just louder than others
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by tubetime86
Couldn't old capacitors that are no longer holding the charge be to blame? I don't know if that is correct but I think it was the case with my Bassman. It was very quiet before I recapped.

I doubt it, the caps could be to blame but its very unlikely, since the amp is around 20 years old it has modren electrolic cap, unlike the cardboard caps in your Bassman, plus your bassman is quite older as well. 20 year old amp could need a cap job, its just very unlikly, once you get up around 30+ years it might be time to look into it. I personally think he has a tube problem or the amps OT is on the way out.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
I doubt it, the caps could be to blame but its very unlikely, since the amp is around 20 years old it has modren electrolic cap, unlike the cardboard caps in your Bassman, plus your bassman is quite older as well. 20 year old amp could need a cap job, its just very unlikly, once you get up around 30+ years it might be time to look into it. I personally think he has a tube problem or the amps OT is on the way out.

I'm thinking it's a tube prob but it's too late now, the gig is sunday and the Carvin and the Marshall are both in transit as we speak. I'm gonna have to use the Marshall and troubleshoot the Carvin when I get back in a few weeks. I can learn the Marshall in a sound check but I won't have that sweet sweet clean of the Carvin at the show. Good thing I'm only clean on 2 songs out of 24!
Quote by Brendan.Clace
For the record...and your hearing...tell your drummer to calm down....if your 100 watt tube amp is "barely on 10" and JUST above the volume of the drummer then you have a problem.....I completely drown out (cannot hear anymore at all) my drummer on 6/10. In fact...he starts to not be able to hear himself play at around 7/10.

Exactly. I've played with some drummers that I consider pretty heavy hitters and I've NEVER had to turn up a 100W tube amp past halfway on the volume. Granted, some amps have different pots that change volume at different intervals, but in most cases, I don't play much over 1/4 on the volume when jamming with a full band...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com