Hi, I've read in several places that there is a huge difference between the Epi LP standard and the custom. I have a standard now that I use as my main stage/recording guitar, but I'm about to purchase a custom from Craigslist for a great deal (hopefully!!). I've heard that the custom is made higher quality wood (mahogany), which makes for enriched sustain and an overall brighter sound. I've also heard that customs are better made, etc...

Are those the only real differences or am I missing out on some stuff? The pick-ups are the same, right?

Thanks for your help!
I can tell you that there is a difference between the Epi LP std and the Epi Prophecy LP Custom. You should check out my review for the details on the latter for technical stuff but in short it's just a better and better looking (imo) guitar. Quilt maple cap, EMG 81/85 pups, 24 fret neck and a neck profile that is a lot different from a normal LP neck. Hope the review is helpfull.
Quote by wamguy89
Hi, I've read in several places that there is a huge difference between the Epi LP standard and the custom. I have a standard now that I use as my main stage/recording guitar, but I'm about to purchase a custom from Craigslist for a great deal (hopefully!!). I've heard that the custom is made higher quality wood (mahogany), which makes for enriched sustain and an overall brighter sound. I've also heard that customs are better made, etc...

Are those the only real differences or am I missing out on some stuff? The pick-ups are the same, right?

Thanks for your help!

No. The only difference between Epi LP Standard and Custom, are aestethics. Both are exactly the same when it comes to sound, wood grade, pickups, etc.
Really? I always thought that the LP custom was made of mahogany and I never knew for sure what the standard was made of... Hm... Do you know?

EDIT: Yeah, I just looked and the standard is all mahogany, too... I guess if the pickups are the same, then the only difference is the binding and the Gibson on the truss rod cover... Haha. Well I really hope I get that guitar from craigslist, though, because I love the white customs... I love my standard, too, though (honey burst).
Last edited by wamguy89 at Sep 24, 2009,
A friend of mine has both. He reckons they're both pretty much the same guitar.
Really wouldn't buy one if you have the other already. He only has the standard because he was given it.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Spec-wise, there is certainly no difference between them. The Custom only costs more because it's hardware gets a cheap gold coating (which rubs off in the blink of an eye anyway) and because people are stupid and will pay more for a guitar just because it has the word 'Custom' in it's name.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Both are made of Luan which is in the Mahogany family. They are veneered with Maple, not capped to 15mm like a Gibson or most copies and this tends to give them a darker sound with more bass response.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x