I need help quickly.

if your in drop d, and you play this

--------------------
---------------------
------7----------------
------5--------------
------5---------------
------5--------------

would it be some form of a G or a D? my logic says g because the note on the lowest string is a g, but it sounds more like a d. If i play an open d, then this they sound alike. but if i play a g, then this thay sound way different
Quote by stratman7
Only 2 notes, therefore not a chord. It is a G5 with an extra 5.

I mean is it a g5, or a d5?
Quote by nathanlamb01098
I mean is it a g5, or a d5?

Both simultaneously. Depends on how you use it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

oh snap! how does that work with keys?

what key would this be in/

-------------------------------
-----7----10--5---2----------------
-----5----8----3---0---------------
Quote by nathanlamb01098
oh snap! how does that work with keys?

what key would this be in/

-----7----10--5---2----------------

Fb?
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by ajreciever14
Fb?

woah where did this come from? could ya help explain?

Im too tired to try and figure out all the theory right now.

I would just assue like Gminor or something
G Bflat F D are the roots for those power chords, so I'd imagine it's in G minor since it starts on G and G minor has two flats so those chords fit the key. It could be any number of things though, there aren't a whole lot of notes to go on.
Im sorry, not flat, just F. google music keys or something to see how it works. but using those chords i'd say either F or D minor.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

Quote by ajreciever14
Im sorry, not flat, just F. google music keys or something to see how it works. but using those chords i'd say either F or D minor.

It's not f minor, the D would be flat.
not F minor, F major. F major and D minor use the same notes and chords, thus could be either. It could also be G minor, but then G minor is relative to B flat major, so it could be any of those.

I'm going to assume its a I-III-VII-V progression (G Minor), and not a II-IV-I-VI (F Major) progression (Songs in a key are much more likely to start on the root, or the I, rather than the II. unless its a mode).
I think its G minor.
The only difference between D minor and G minor is that D minor has an E while G minor has a E flat. Since this progression has neither note it can be in either key.
Quote by STABxYOU

bass note proscribes chord name. Yes Id even apply that to power chords.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
^^Sure, but most musical conventions would point to it being G minor as Baby Joel said. It's all power chords in drop D so I'm going to assume whoever wrote this wasn't getting too crazy with the theory.
Quote by Roc8995
^^Sure, but most musical conventions would point to it being G minor as Baby Joel said. It's all power chords in drop D so I'm going to assume whoever wrote this wasn't getting too crazy with the theory.

No, normally i would do lots more work than just simple drop d power chords. I already had written the verse to this, and couldn't find any guitar for it, and that simple thing actually worked well with it