For people who aren't quite at the level of tuning by ear.

Whats the best way about going about tuning an acoustic without a pickup in it.
I bought a contact clip (IPM-100) that plugs into my tuner Boss TU-80, and its crap.

Any suggestions bar learning to tune by ear or using harmonics.
ie. best value contact tuners/other means?
until you learn to do it by ear grab a korg hand held tuner their perfect for quick tuning an acoustic and their dirt cheap....$15-25 somethin like that.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=1066

Korg GA-30. It has a mic so it can tune without plugging anything in (it also has your standard 1/4" port for plugging in a guitar if you can, which is a bit more accurate). It's very good for the price - great value :P

If you're in a loud place you'll have to use a contact tuner though, or get a pickup fitted...
I registered to the forum just to answer this question. Buy one of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q0WSO8

I have been playing music for 15 years and I almost always tune by ear. I have not even owned a tuner for the last several years, but I felt like buying one a few weeks ago for no particular reason, and the guitar shop guy recommended this baby. It clips onto the headboard and reads vibrations- as in no microphone, so it will tune perfectly even in a loud environment. It's fully chromatic, so not just EADGBE. It can adjust tuning for your capo placement. This thing is awesome- I've even used it to tune violins and mandolins. And it lights up, so I can use the light to play in the dark. Awesome.

I spent $30 on mine at the store, I'm a little miffed to find that it's only $12 on amazon, but it's totally worth it. Buy one. Now.
i see some folks say they've had trouble with this tuner finding the low string. have you had any problems with that?

Quote by ELewis616
I registered to the forum just to answer this question. Buy one of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q0WSO8

I have been playing music for 15 years and I almost always tune by ear. I have not even owned a tuner for the last several years, but I felt like buying one a few weeks ago for no particular reason, and the guitar shop guy recommended this baby. It clips onto the headboard and reads vibrations- as in no microphone, so it will tune perfectly even in a loud environment. It's fully chromatic, so not just EADGBE. It can adjust tuning for your capo placement. This thing is awesome- I've even used it to tune violins and mandolins. And it lights up, so I can use the light to play in the dark. Awesome.

I spent $30 on mine at the store, I'm a little miffed to find that it's only $12 on amazon, but it's totally worth it. Buy one. Now.
assuming that the low E is in tune-
go to the 5th fret on the low E, and pluck- tune the A string until it vibrates with the E string.
repeat, using the 5th fret A string this time
Repeat again with the D
then use the 4th fret on the G to find B
back to 5th for high E.

if you want to make sure that low E is correct, connect a microphone to a chromatic tuner (you may need an adaptor.)
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Quote by mcfreaki
assuming that the low E is in tune-
go to the 5th fret on the low E, and pluck- tune the A string until it vibrates with the E string.
repeat, using the 5th fret A string this time
Repeat again with the D
then use the 4th fret on the G to find B
back to 5th for high E.

if you want to make sure that low E is correct, connect a microphone to a chromatic tuner (you may need an adaptor.)

Or get a tuning fork (either E or A) - never needs batteries!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
After you get done with the above method, double check by comparing octaves. Open low E to D string second fret. Open A string to G string second fret. Open D string to B string third fret. Open G string to high e third fret.

For a reference note, I use a dial tone on an ordinary phone when I am traveling without tuner. Just match it to the F on the third fret of the D string.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

If you have an iPhone, I highly recommend "Guitar Toolkit".

Pete
Martin 000-18 Authentic
McIlroy AJ30
Gibson J185-EC
Martin 5-16GT
CA Cargo
Alvarez MD60
Yamaha FG730S (Natural & Sunburst)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Washburn 125th Anniversary Parlor
Washburn Rover (Steel & Nylon)