k ive been playing guitar for about 4 years.

and ive been playing standardized tuning since i got my guitar. havent ever had interest in bands with dropped tuning.

but i started up with this band and my friend who is our other guitarist plays droped always.
so i do it to go along with his work and im fine by it.

problem is that all my techniques and ways of playing are all based on standard tuning and its pretty strange to me when i try to compose something in drop cause it dont feel right to me.

now is this normal or is there something i should start shredding to?
Quote by Alexxx.
What tuning have you dropped too?

he probably means a dropped d or drop c or whatever..

i know how you feel dude.. i went the other way.. hehehe.. and then i got a 7 stringer and now play in standard.. it takes a while but you'll get used to it man
If he's playing in dropped d, play in d standard.
If he's playing in drop c, play in c standard.

The only difference is that you can't play the exact same frets to play the same riff, but that makes for boring music, so you wouldn't end up doing that anyway.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
he probably means a dropped d or drop c or whatever..

i know how you feel dude.. i went the other way.. hehehe.. and then i got a 7 stringer and now play in standard.. it takes a while but you'll get used to it man

tuning is in drop A

my friend just got an ibanez 7 string and hes been playing drop C for a long while

so its taking some time for me to adjust with it. right now im just playing with it and im just trying to get the hang of trying to improv with it. tho it feels weird. i catch myself doing a powerchord every now and then. its just a mental wall i have to break i guess but idk
It's not that hard to transpose.
Just remember your bottom string is two frets over.
You'll get used to it.

I went from playing strictly in standard, and then I learned that some of my favorite bands played in drop, and now I even play in open tunings.

Different tunings can definitely help you learn your instrument better.

Drop A is pretty fierce by the way.
I wouldn't play that low, so props to you.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

My band and are experimenting with Drop A#, it's great for a heavy band, or a singer with a lowish voice. It's not really that difficult to get your head around, It also opens up room for much more interesting chords such as

-------------------
-------------------
----------7---8---
-7---7---5---5---
-5---8---5---5---
-5---7---5---5---
You don't have to play in the same tuning.

You can play in standard if you wan't, you'll still be able to play all the same chords and riffs, just in different places. To be honest that'd probably sound better as you'd have two guitars covering are much broader harmonic range. Or if you don't want to drop the low E leave it in a lower version of standard.

Keys are keys regardless of tuning, however you tune your guitar you've always got nearly 2 octaves along the bottom string and that means any song can be played in any tuning. Obviously you'd have to transpose lower notes up but that's not going to be a problem if one guitar already has that covered.

Who knows, you guys could actually end up sounding really original rather than exactly the same as everyone else
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Jezuse
i catch myself doing a powerchord every now and then. its just a mental wall i have to break i guess but idk

There's nothing wrong with playing a powerchord. They're even easier in drop tunings!
it just takes getting used to that is all - there is nothing fundamentally different about it. It will open up some compositional doors and close others (until you go back to standard) - it's time to do another loop in the crazy rollercoaster of music