hey guys,

I recently started jamming a bit with other people, 9/10 people are not used to it (and I havent done it that much either). So we know these basic blues jams, and maybe 1-2 other chod progressions which sound dull after 2 mins.

Ive been trying to come up with some other things to do, Im gonna have some more jams this weekend so I want to take it to the next step

Do you guys have some tips? chord progressiosn to use or anything? We could play stuff from pretty hard rockisch, to blues funk or just balled poppy doesnt mather as long as we can jam on it

hope you can help
try making up a riff...
to start, you can keep it simple with the blues scale or whatever you like
Dream Theater FTW!!

Gear:
Ibanez S7320 7-string
Tama Superstar 8 pc. drum set
i like covering songs with other people and extending the solo sections, or whatever part has riffs we feel like would be fun to improvise over. so we play the song, and when we reach the aforementioned parts, we start doing the trade-off thing.

another thing to try is to have whoever's playing the rhythm to "lead" the jam. so that guy will change keys, switch from distortion to clean passages, whatever. that way, both people are improvising (one stringing together coherent riffs while the other solos) so nobody gets bored, and it forces you to listen to what everyone's doing and not just be stuck in your own world.

*i don't have much experience jamming with more than one person at a time though
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i like covering songs with other people and extending the solo sections, or whatever part has riffs we feel like would be fun to improvise over. so we play the song, and when we reach the aforementioned parts, we start doing the trade-off thing.

Nobody has to play just rhythm, and everyone can contribute to a chord progression.

Knowledge of what chords sound good together within a key is helpful for creating on-the-spot jamming. Make up some progressions yourself and take turns improvising over it. When one person is doing a solo, the others play rhythm. It also helps with your rhythm technique as you don't want two rhythm players playing the same thing in the same position.

As said above, covering songs and extending the solo sections is a good way to do this. Make sure that everyone has equal soloing time, and that nobody solos while someone is singing. Make sure that everyone knows how to play the songs before you get together though - otherwise time will be wasted on learning instead of playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Sep 24, 2009,
Try to find easy songs a lot of people know. A couple that work are Breakdown-Tom Petty, Hey Joe-Hendrix, Comunication Breakdown-Zepplin, All Along the Watchtower-Dylan/Hendrix, Whole lotta' love-Zepplin. These are just a few that work well plus there are a lot of G-C-D songs out there that are hella easy. Jam on!!!!
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
punk rock jams are easy as ****. Just make a riff play it and let the drummer come in, let the bassist follow you, and then get a singer who can just sing for days.
jamming is a very very important part of playing music
i run into too many people that dont know anything about playing music with other people and because of this those people end up with no timing

you MUST learn to jam. all of the songs my friends and i write are born of the JAM!!!!
It's also really important to get to know each other in terms of playing style. Whenever I jam with (for example) some guys from my band, we just 'feel' whenever we need to do something or change from lead to rhytm, for example. This doesn't happen when you're doing a first time jam. So I'd say; have some patience.
Of course it's always nice to have some agreements and stuff, that never hurt anyone. Also, try to learn some really famous riffs, like La Grange and what not, every musicians knows those and should feel comfortable doing some stuff on those tunes.
Play the music, not the instrument.